IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Dopers
3/19/22, 8:08 PM   #41
boomer

Why would teams alter tires KNOWING they will be checked. All the time, effort & money to get to the tracks to compete, why in the world would you do such a thing. I believe there is something wrong with the tires or testing.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, DirtTrackTherapy16J, Joekocjan, rick42, tirespinner
3/19/22, 8:17 PM   #42
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Why would teams alter tires KNOWING they will be checked. All the time, effort & money to get to the tracks to compete, why in the world would you do such a thing. I believe there is something wrong with the tires or testing.
Mr. Boomer I do not know you, but that seems to be something that some people are not thinking about. Just a few post ago a person made the comment of KO being a 2 car team...so did both do it and only one got caught or was there a mix up of something of what? Look at JG,Topp,RMS,JG's Silver Crown team...JG has a legitimate chance at the $300K bonus for all 3 championships, maybe wont win Silver Crown over Swanson or Santos, but there you go again, great chance at Midgets and Sprints championship which would be $150K bonus...their going to jeopardize all that over "doping tires" for the new extreme series??? I'm with you, just seems something is off or doesnt line up and until EVERYTHING is out in the clear open air, how is it right to call any driver or team cheaters??? Too many people jumping to assumptions and conclusions without knowing EVERYTHING.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 3/19/22 at 8:32 PM.

3/20/22, 2:08 AM   #43
Re: Tire Dopers
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I don't think all teams tires are tested, maybe its like gambling, win some lose some. Its only cheating when you get caught in some peoples minds, and everyone is looking for that little extra edge on the competition. How much do you want to gamble and how much do you have to lose?

3/20/22, 8:36 AM   #44
RR>LR=LTO

I know one team that tested bad and I know for a fact that they do not prep tires in any way other than mount and sometimes balance.
No you can’t run over oil or brake fluid or wd-40 on the track and fail the test. Unless, the track itself has chemicals in it. The problem most certainly lies with Hoosier and they’ve been contacted. Too many guys are failing tests that could tarnish careers and don’t even need to prep tires. Batch numbers are being compared and new and old samples from that batch are being taken and tested. Obviously something is amiss. Let’s not jump to conclusions so quickly. Hopefully JG and stockon’s records can be expunged by Xtreme and put this Florida issue behind us.

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang
Last edited by RR>LR=LTO; 3/20/22 at 8:37 AM.

3/20/22, 9:29 AM   #45
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Can one dope a tire to make it harder? I know that running a heat cycle with a slick and then cooling it with water when it is hot is a method.

So, what chemicals are used for this or that? I'd like to know. Thanks.
Yes, Simple Green or Acrosol, it pulls the oil out of the tire. These are mainly used to clean tires and pull out prior preps. There are too many chemicals to name, but xylene and toulene are main softeners.
Last edited by Kart#51; 3/20/22 at 9:38 AM.

1 member likes this post: sprint38racer
3/20/22, 9:37 AM   #46
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR>LR=LTO View Post
I know one team that tested bad and I know for a fact that they do not prep tires in any way other than mount and sometimes balance.
No you can’t run over oil or brake fluid or wd-40 on the track and fail the test. Unless, the track itself has chemicals in it. The problem most certainly lies with Hoosier and they’ve been contacted. Too many guys are failing tests that could tarnish careers and don’t even need to prep tires. Batch numbers are being compared and new and old samples from that batch are being taken and tested. Obviously something is amiss. Let’s not jump to conclusions so quickly. Hopefully JG and stockon’s records can be expunged by Xtreme and put this Florida issue behind us.
Are the tires in question bought off the truck in FL? If not, I would question the validity of the tire. Cure time is a critical component to successful tire prepping and the off season is a great time for tires to cure after being prepped. Lets not kid ourselves, there are the undetectable preps out there, but even those will show up against a compound sample because molecular compound has changed. You wont smell it and the tire wont feel softer due to the curing process. If they really want to test tires....check the spring rate in the sidewall. That will tell you everything. If the tire has been rolled with internal, which is likely the case, the sidewall construction will be softened and the spring rate will not be as stiff and will provide for more side bite. Makes a big difference.

2 members like this post: sprint38racer, tirespinner
3/20/22, 10:33 AM   #47
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post

So, what chemicals are used for this or that? I'd like to know. Thanks.
If you want to dive into the world of tire technology and have a few hours to burn this is a good starting spot. For kart racers tire prep is the holy gospel. You win and lose based on your tires and how they are prepped.

https://tracktac.com/

3/20/22, 10:41 AM   #48
badcoupe

If some one loses a motor etc and puts oil on the track, driving over a substantial amount could cause this I believe.

3/20/22, 11:11 AM   #49
TQ29m

A simple test I have used, is a sniffer used to track leaks in air conditioning units, also found good in testing fuel, or if your friend is wearing Parfums.

3/20/22, 12:01 PM   #50
RR>LR=LTO

Purchased between 12/15/21 and 1/25/22.

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Dopers