IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Dopers
3/19/22, 3:05 PM   #31
sprint38racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokayman View Post
Before I ask my question, I’ll begin by saying that I have no dog in this fight either way. Whether they did or they didn’t, or if something did or did not happen at the USAC race isn’t my ask here. My questions center around procedure. Can anyone explain the procedure for taking samples? I know the penalty report said the team grooved the fire after the race with their own grooving iron and that it was signed by the team representative. Is there only one piece taken for sampling or do they obtain multiple samples? Does the organization keep the spare sample (if taken) to have it tested for confirmation? How do they obtain a sample if the tire is (or is nearly) gone? Is there a minimum amount of material needed for the sample? Is there a second laboratory that the team could send a sample to (adhering to the same sampling procedure of the series) at their cost?
I’m just trying to get some additional information for my own edification.
Jake Simmons.
Jake, A series official comes and notifies the team that a tire sample is to be obtained. A team member using the teams grooving iron removes several samples from several areas as directed by the official. Each sample is about 1/2” or longer in length and about 1/8” in thickness. The samples are put in a mew container with the name of team and driver and then sealed and team member signs there name. The series sends sample to the lab they use. Results come back in a week or so. As far as USAC is concerned tire sample results are available from usac at following events. Other series are similar. Appeal processes are spelled out in series rules. I don’t know 🤷*♀️ if any individual teams keep and test their own samples independently.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner
3/19/22, 3:26 PM   #32
Re: Tire Dopers
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint38racer View Post
A lot of people know that 4 tires failed from usac races in florida. That information isn’t hard to find, despite usac saying nothing about it so far, other than they are awaiting results of their own further testing. I have a feeling I inow how this will end but we shall see.
OK. That information isn't hard to find. How do I find it? I am not questioning what I have heard from either series. If the Extreme race was a week earlier, and they announced results yesterday(Friday). Wouldn't it make sense that with the USAC race being the next week, that they could possibly still be waiting for results?
I have another question, not that I expect an answer. You guys got the same penalty. Have you guys ever admitted guilt, or do you do like a teenager and say everyone else was doing it? Do you deny that you had doped tires? Or were you just being picked on? Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. No matter how many times his kid got in trouble, it was always the schools fault, or it was always the cops fault. Everyone else does it, so they have to be picking on my kid. Always an excuse. All it does is hurt the sport. doesn't help the kid either. As for your driver, I always thought he was good driver.

3/19/22, 4:21 PM   #33
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
OK. That information isn't hard to find. How do I find it? I am not questioning what I have heard from either series. If the Extreme race was a week earlier, and they announced results yesterday(Friday). Wouldn't it make sense that with the USAC race being the next week, that they could possibly still be waiting for results?
I have another question, not that I expect an answer. You guys got the same penalty. Have you guys ever admitted guilt, or do you do like a teenager and say everyone else was doing it? Do you deny that you had doped tires? Or were you just being picked on? Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. No matter how many times his kid got in trouble, it was always the schools fault, or it was always the cops fault. Everyone else does it, so they have to be picking on my kid. Always an excuse. All it does is hurt the sport. doesn't help the kid either. As for your driver, I always thought he was good driver.
I think he believes that all the usac regulars do it and they did it and got caught but since they are not usac regulars they got punished. If all of them did it and usac knew it I don't think they would be wasting the time and money to test the top 3 every night who more times than not are the usac regulars. But you'll never convince him otherwise so it's a losing battle.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
3/19/22, 4:28 PM   #34
Stevensville Mike

Not that some members of the board have *ahem* 'bent' the rules before, but would anyone be willing to explain how a tire gets doped? My gut feeling is one is trying to make it softer. Can one dope a tire to make it harder? I know that running a heat cycle with a slick and then cooling it with water when it is hot is a method.

So, what chemicals are used for this or that? I'd like to know. Thanks.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
3/19/22, 5:09 PM   #35
sprint38racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_edge View Post
I think he believes that all the usac regulars do it and they did it and got caught but since they are not usac regulars they got punished. If all of them did it and usac knew it I don't think they would be wasting the time and money to test the top 3 every night who more times than not are the usac regulars. But you'll never convince him otherwise so it's a losing battle.
I do not believe all USAC racers do it. I am very sure of several who never have done anything illegal with there tires. I am just as
sure there are those who have, and have been at times. A prominent usac crew chief told and showed me three years ago how to identify a doped tire visually, and what visual evidence was on a tire or removed from a tire to prevent visual detection. Initially skeptical I studied tires for a long time and was able to determine what I had been told was true. Based on that AND many conversations that I will not share with whom, I know who has. I also know who has prepped tires for some names people wouldn’t expect. One other fact I would add is usac does NOT test the top three every night. In regards to the timing of test results the florida results been known for some time now, but only crickets are heard. All anyone wants is a level playing field and a consistent application of the rules, and I am in that camp.

3/19/22, 6:47 PM   #36
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint38racer View Post
I do not believe all USAC racers do it. I am very sure of several who never have done anything illegal with there tires. I am just as
sure there are those who have, and have been at times. A prominent usac crew chief told and showed me three years ago how to identify a doped tire visually, and what visual evidence was on a tire or removed from a tire to prevent visual detection. Initially skeptical I studied tires for a long time and was able to determine what I had been told was true. Based on that AND many conversations that I will not share with whom, I know who has. I also know who has prepped tires for some names people wouldn’t expect. One other fact I would add is usac does NOT test the top three every night. In regards to the timing of test results the florida results been known for some time now, but only crickets are heard. All anyone wants is a level playing field and a consistent application of the rules, and I am in that camp.
But do you have proof from Ocala? If so, you could probably file a lawsuit. Since you tend to use a message board to wage your battle, I wonder if it is not just sour grapes. I know that when I helped my buddy with a kart, everyone cheated, even us. I don't think it would be smart for a sanctioning body to overlook failed tests. In the long run that would have a very negative effect on their product as far as attracting cars and dates. After all in every series the tracks pay the purses. I take it you were guilty of the infraction as you have never offered to explain your innocence, only to slander the people who caught you.
I got pulled over one time, told the cop I was only running with traffic, everyone was speeding. He said maybe, but I pulled over you. He was right, and I paid the fine.
I have not seen either of the 2 teams that were penalized last week complaining that everyone else was doing and making accusations about the sanctioning body on social media. If they have, I haven't seen it. I hope they don't it. Just makes things worse for them.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 3/19/22 at 7:17 PM.

3/19/22, 7:20 PM   #37
sw1911

“If you ain't trying to cheat a little, you ain't likely to win much.”

The King, FWIW.

2 members like this post: svfd830, tirespinner
3/19/22, 7:27 PM   #38
DirtTrackTherapy16J

May have been that erratic turn as well Mr. Funk??? Hahahahaha

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/19/22, 7:32 PM   #39
addictedtodirt

We've heard from one sanctioning body. My guess is we will hear from the other this week as they did run a few days after the other series.
I have to wonder with KO being a 2car team, would one crew be doping and the other not? They are run out of the same stable so to speak. Not accusing, just pointing out that one car of a two car team has been flagged.

3/19/22, 7:48 PM   #40
sprint38racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Brent, Sorry I hadn’t answered this yet. I can confirm the tire failed and it was our fault, that is the short answer. No excuses made. Not to take anything aesy from that fact, I can also confirm only one tire was tested after that race that night,,,,,, not 2, 3, 4 or any other number. I also know if multiple cars tires had been tested the results would have been surprising. The long and short is got busted deservedly, faced the consequences, move on in best way possible. I don’t know if JG or Stockon or others had dirty tires in florida or not but I do know they tested illegal. Was it from some manufacturing error or testing error? I do not know. All I asked originally was why WRG rules state those that fail tire tests get a minimum one month and minimum 4 race suspension and I asked why they get two races only? 🤷*♂️. I have attempted to be 100% truthful in all that I have posted on this topic. Not looking for an argument. Have a great day sir. On to chasing 🏁🏁

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Dopers