IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
sw1911 (Offline)
  #31 5/4/20 6:56 PM
Originally Posted by chrismattlin:
So if I go with my wife and son, the three of us should have empty seats between us? Seems asinine.
Then how would you manage it? It is going to cost a lot of money to develop seat reservation programs where there are none.
Eric Smith (Offline)
  #32 5/7/20 10:53 AM
So I take it I don't need to make plans to stop at Kokomo on the way home from Pevely Memorial Weekend.....
chathamracefan (Offline)
  #33 5/8/20 8:31 PM
I’m in IL and wondering what the restrictions will be in Indiana by July 4. Will tracks be at a reduced capacity still? I’m going to Pevely tomorrow and in 5/23 and will be planning other road trips if I can see some racing.
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #34 5/8/20 8:37 PM
Originally Posted by chathamracefan:
I’m in IL and wondering what the restrictions will be in Indiana by July 4. Will tracks be at a reduced capacity still? I’m going to Pevely tomorrow and in 5/23 and will be planning other road trips if I can see some racing.
I am the same here.

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #35 5/13/20 8:45 PM
Originally Posted by Will Shunk:
It seems like the time is right for weekly, small race track owners/promoters in each state to get on zoom and unite with a statewide specific plan (much simpler than WoO) to re start racing at their tracks. Online pit passes, online fan admissions limited to 2 per order/charge card/address (avoid scalping), 50% capacity fans in the stands, social distancing in the pits and stands, require face coverings, no concessions to avoid hand to hand transmission, hand washing/sanitation stations, etc. Only 2 or 3 divisions based upon pit size and spacing. Hot laps, pill draw, heats, B (if needed based on car count), and A features. Get in, get it on, and get out!

Take a united, doable plan to your local and state leaders to fast track reopening. Once operating, formulate options to increase car count and fans in the stands. Baby steps but steps none the less. Time to get our local heroes back on track.
How about a little credit here for the "50%" call? LOL It is time for some tracks to buy some extra bleachers. See you soon at the track!
2 Likes: chathamracefan, davidm
old timer (Offline)
  #36 5/14/20 3:24 PM
From the last I saw (haven't looked in last 30min) after July 4 Indiana is wide open!
6 Likes: chrismattlin, Indy1808, JarrettFarms73, luckybuc97, PIT CART, Will Shunk
rockstar5 (Offline)
  #37 5/15/20 6:46 PM
Malls are safe but a race track isn't He is a idiot
3 Likes: chrismattlin, duel, PIT CART
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #38 5/16/20 1:38 PM
What I have seen, social distancing doesn't work. Way too many stupid and ignorant people that don't respect others or don't care.

Actually this could be an opportunity for sprint and dirt champ racing if managed right.

When I go to smaller race tracks and some larger there are usually a number of belligerent drunk types that don't watch the races, climb all over you and guests, going for multiple beers every 20 minutes and in your face when you have no desire to communicate. You can always move away at larger tracks due to more seats. The only way to manage that type fan is no beer allowed.

The only way I see distancing at race tracks working is to utilize larger tracks like DuQuoin, Springfield, Knoxville, IRP, Terre Haute, Perris, Sedalia, bigger PA tracks. Large grand stands are needed with space. Where ushers could control spacing and you would have to rely on intelligent fan bases. Possibly 3-4-5 track operators could go together to promote races. Make online viewing sales affordable to keep interest up and possibly get new fans that are eager to find something new to watch. You would have to "load" the stands earlier with room for families and everyone would have to accept usher controlled spacing. Tickets would have to be pre-sold with only gate tickets if room allows. It could be up to us as fans for cooperation and support as much as anything to help this sport survive until this is over. No one knows how long that will be.
With out real plans, racing may stay at no fans for a while.