IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is Sam a Champ?
1/11/21, 6:59 PM   #1
Is Sam a Champ?
flagboy55

Is Slammin Sammy a Champion? Apparently not to the race organizers at the Chili Bowl. The entrants for the Race of Champions on Tuesday in Tulsa are in and Swindell is not. In spite of the fact he’s a current entrant for the Race, has won it 5 times, he apparently doesn’t meet the criteria set for the race. Meanwhile Zach Daum and Daryn Pittman are in while never having won a main in the building. Kinda have to ask yourself “what the heck are they thinking?”

1/11/21, 8:47 PM   #2
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

It appears that they are rewarding recent success only for this glorified trophy dash! About as exciting as the "Kele World Challenge" they used to have at Knoxville!
Last edited by oppweld; 1/11/21 at 8:49 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/11/21, 8:49 PM   #3
Re: Is Sam a Champ?
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Is Slammin Sammy a Champion? Apparently not to the race organizers at the Chili Bowl. The entrants for the Race of Champions on Tuesday in Tulsa are in and Swindell is not. In spite of the fact he’s a current entrant for the Race, has won it 5 times, he apparently doesn’t meet the criteria set for the race. Meanwhile Zach Daum and Daryn Pittman are in while never having won a main in the building. Kinda have to ask yourself “what the heck are they thinking?”
“what the heck are they thinking?” ?????
Do you know if he was invited? maybe he turned it down???

1/11/21, 9:02 PM   #4
Sandy Lowe

The Chili Bowl had a problem when they allowed 30+ years of drivers and car owners that had won the Chili Bowl to enter the Race of Champions. You had drivers that never won the Chili Bowl driving for car owners that were deceased, and Chili Bowl champion car owners using drivers that were not champions of the Chili Bowl or any other organization.

I believe Donnie Schatz was allowed to run the Race of Champions his rookie year at the Chili Bowl driving a Clauson-Marshall Racing entry even though CMR never won the Chili Bowl (Bryan won in the Dooling/Kunz 63).

The Chili Bowl now has a system that rewards champions (World of Outlaws, ASCS, All Star Sprints, USAC sprints & midgets, and POWRi midgets), the top 3 finishers in the last 5 Chili Bowls, the top 2 finishers in the last 5 Race of Champions, and the preliminary night winners from the previous Chili Bowl.

This seems like a much more fair system to me that represents “champion” drivers.

1/11/21, 9:52 PM   #5
flagboy55

Well pretty sure Sam wasn’t invited. Saw a good amount of banter on Twitter which Sammy himself chimed in on. So the Swindell family has 9 Drillers I believe. I just watched a replay the other day of the second annual and Sammy was there. Pretty sure that Swindell is a World of Outlaws Champ and I would think has raced as many Chili Bowls as anyone else there. Kevin is on the broadcast and I might be wrong but I thought I heard him comment on the omission. Sandy I get what you’re saying but it isn’t right. Change the name to the “Invitational “ but a Chili Bowl race of Champions without Sammy just doesn’t live up to the name

3 members like this post: Indy1808, jdull99, spicoli
1/11/21, 10:14 PM   #6
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

It is now an unnecessary race. I believe it originated on the first Tuesday night Rookie Night. They used it to draw interest for the added night. With all qualifying nights being equal this seems like fluff.

7 members like this post: billw, cornerthree, Indy1808, jdull99, jim goerge, jonboat15, TQ97
1/11/21, 10:14 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
....Pretty sure that Swindell is a World of Outlaws Champ....
Three times. 1981, 1982 & 1997.

But that was last century.

https://worldofoutlaws.com/sprintcar...ear-1978-2019/

1983 Knoxville Nationals Champion.

1992, 1999, 2012 Kings Royal Champion.

1989, 1992, 1996, 1998, & 2009 Chili Bowl Champion.

Naw..... None of that that brings clout to the table.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, mc/rider, sw1911
1/11/21, 10:37 PM   #8
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

this has been lit up on tweeter for a few weeks. you Cannot have a race-of-Champions at the Chili Bowl without Sammy. Pretty bad decision by someone in Tulsa

1/11/21, 11:44 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sam who?

1/12/21, 2:25 AM   #10
okie

what have you done lately

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is Sam a Champ?