IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thursday night thunder / hoosier harvest shootout
12/17/20, 2:04 PM   #1
Thursday Night Thunder / Hoosier Harvest Shootout
CircleCityRaceway

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 12/18/2020
Circle City Raceway
7300 E Troy Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46239, United States
Circlecityraceway@gmail.com
CIRCLE CITY RACEWAY TO HOLD THURSDAY NIGHT THUNDER EVENTS IN 2021 $21,000 TO WIN HOOSIER HARVEST SHOOTOUT TO CLOSE OUT INAUGURAL SEASON

Indianapolis, Indiana - Circle City Raceway continued its 2021 schedule announcements today, as the new central Indiana dirt track will be bringing back an Indianapolis racing tradition with the reintroduction of the famed “Thursday Night Thunder.”
The track will feature six Thursday evening racing events in 2021, headlined by 900 horsepower 410 Winged Sprint Cars and a rotation of different open wheel race machines. The schedule for Thursday Night Thunder action begins on May 20th, with the All Star Circuit of Champions event competing for $6,000 to win Thursday night’s A-Main, followed by Friday night’s $10,000 to win affair. Those two races will kick off a nine race inaugural season for Circle City Raceway’s 410 Sprints, as the track will be posting details about the division’s championship in the coming weeks. Other Thursday Night Thunder races for competitors to keep in mind will be July 1st, July 22nd, August 5th, August 19th, and September 16th.

Circle City Raceway also announced that 410 Sprint action will also conclude the 2021 racing season, with the introduction of the track’s special “Hoosier Harvest Shootout” event, a two day show on October 15 and 16, paying Saturday night’s A-Main champion $21,000, and a unique trophy. Every year, the winner’s share will rise by $1,000. In addition, all 410 Winged Races held in 2021 will be points paying events towards the Circle City Raceway 410 Sprint Championship. More information about the “Hoosier Harvest Shootout” including format, rules, support classes, and tickets will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

Jonathan Byrd, General Manager of Circle City Raceway is optimistic about bringing back Thursday Night Thunder. He states, “As we have pondered the kind of racing Circle City Raceway was going to offer to the fans of Central Indiana, the noticeable void in the marketplace was Winged Sprint Car Racing. Over the past few years, I have watched how more and more popular 410 racing is in the area, with teams here in Indianapolis not having a track to call home without driving hours away. I want Circle City Raceway to be this place.”

With the goal of Circle City Raceway being the trailblazer for winged sprint car racing in the area, Byrd also wants the track to be diverse. “We are looking to become a home for other racing, including USAC Midgets. 2021 will be the springboard to what we hope to be even bigger and better things for dirt racing fans here in Indy, giving them a place to play #INtheDirt.”

Fans will be able to find out more information regarding the resurrection of Thursday Night Thunder as well as the Harvest Shootout at CircleCityRaceway.com in the near future. Stay up to date with our social media:
Twitter & Instagram: @CircleCityDirt
Facebook: Circle City Raceway
We look forward to seeing you play #INtheDirt with us in 2021!
Last edited by CircleCityRaceway; 12/17/20 at 7:46 PM.

12/17/20, 8:27 PM   #2
captrat

Disappointing that in the heart of non-wing racing you have chosen to further those that already have a bigger piece of the pie rather than those in your home area. Another lost opportunity.

12/17/20, 9:41 PM   #3
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Winged sprints already rule the rest of the country, disappointing to see you trying to develop them in Indiana. Hopefully you’ll soon realize you made a big mistake. Wings suck!!!

12/17/20, 10:06 PM   #4
Re: Thursday night thunder / hoosier harvest shootout
ossuks

Indiana has several non-wing tracks running Friday, Saturday, and Sundays all season long. I applaud the idea of not running against those venues and giving Indiana another option. At one time I would not attend a wing race, but over the past few years have became a fan. The crowds at wing races seem to draw more spectators than non wing, thus they pay higher purses. Several of the top non wing teams have been going wing racing, I for one think this will be a great series and look foreward to a new racing option in central Indiana!
Last edited by ossuks; 12/17/20 at 10:08 PM.

12/18/20, 12:03 AM   #5
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Indiana has several non-wing tracks running Friday, Saturday, and Sundays all season long. I applaud the idea of not running against those venues and giving Indiana another option. At one time I would not attend a wing race, but over the past few years have became a fan. The crowds at wing races seem to draw more spectators than non wing, thus they pay higher purses. Several of the top non wing teams have been going wing racing, I for one think this will be a great series and look foreward to a new racing option in central Indiana!
When you look at their schedule they obviously went out of their way to avoid USAC and local track dates. They only run against the locals on 2 Fridays and one Saturday that I have seen so far. Its something different around here and adds opportunities to see races whats wrong with that.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

12/18/20, 1:37 PM   #6
flagboy55

It almost feels like this was done to get the USAC guys a place to learn the wing game a little before they move on

12/18/20, 1:47 PM   #7
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
It almost feels like this was done to get the USAC guys a place to learn the wing game a little before they move on
Then I would suppose they need to do something to make them want to stay.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

12/18/20, 2:49 PM   #8
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

It's all in the name. United States Auto CLUB!! The race director and day to operational personnel are except from this blast. That being said, USAC operates like IMCA did in the 1960's. A developmental series. They seem to be happy with status quo! REAL series growth in not their vision. (Especially in the Sprint car division).

2 members like this post: PIT CART, spankytoo
12/18/20, 3:28 PM   #9
PJ Wright

I wonder how many sanctioning groups have come and gone since USAC's inception. You would almost think that they know what they're doing. Nah, that can't be it.🤔 Back on subject, wings or not, I'm looking forward to attending Circle City.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

12/19/20, 2:01 AM   #10
Blackduce

In these times of some tracks having a very tough time to make the financial needs to make a go.
I am glad to see some racers have enough balls to give this a shot.
There are so many rules they have to abide by with a new venture.
Easy to forget Taxes, environmental laws, Insurance, Employee costs, Goverment inspections, book keeping, ground maintained, advertising, and building & dirt maintenance.
Easy to bad mouth. But at least they have the balls and love for motor vehicle racing. We are lucky.

Lynn

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thursday night thunder / hoosier harvest shootout