IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom
Thread Tools
11/18/20, 12:04 PM   #1
Windom
GYATK94
GYATK94 is offline
Senior Member

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 582
 

It takes a lot for me to be truly critical of any of these drivers who wheel these machines Iíve watched for my entire life, especially ones as talented as Windom. However, his driving style continues to disappoint.

Schatz couldíve dumped someone to win the WoO title last year but didnít. Justin Grant couldíve dumped Windom in the final race the year Chris won the sprint title but didnít. Windom, though, has no problem driving full throttle into the final corner to wipe someone out for the championship. Perhaps heís one of our USAC guys who deserves a shot at the big leagues, a very Logano-esque move last night.

There are countless other incidents. Last year at the Grove in the Silver Crown car, he drove through Buckwalter on the last lap. Itís not always for the lead, either. If Windom has to come through the pack, you can generally count on someone having a wrecked race car thanks to his efforts. A race early this year when he totally destroyed Bacon comes to mind.

And when the shoe is on the other foot, he does things like get out and throw his steering wheel at Tyler Thomas under yellow after Tyler barely touched his left front at the 2016 Smackdown. And that wasnít enough for ďBig Daddy,Ē he also had to make sure he started a brawl on the front stretch after the race. He also threw a fit this year when Cole Bodine spun from the lead and Windom got collected while running fourth as if Bodine somehow did so intentionally.

I know Iím just a bleacher, keyboard warrior. Clearly, whatever Windom has done, itís worked for him. He joined the small list of Triple Crown winners last night. Itís just been frustrating as a fan to see the amount of dirty moves heís made, cars heís crashed and temper tantrums heís thrown. Anyway, just my opinion as Iím feeling disappointed in the conclusion to an otherwise thrilling midget season. Congrats to Buddy Kofoid. Seeing him out-duel Larson was very fun to watch.

- Disgruntled Keyboard Jockey
 
11/18/20, 12:51 PM   #2
Re: Windom
OnTheHammer
OnTheHammer is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 345
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
It takes a lot for me to be truly critical of any of these drivers who wheel these machines Iíve watched for my entire life, especially ones as talented as Windom. However, his driving style continues to disappoint.

Schatz couldíve dumped someone to win the WoO title last year but didnít. Justin Grant couldíve dumped Windom in the final race the year Chris won the sprint title but didnít. Windom, though, has no problem driving full throttle into the final corner to wipe someone out for the championship. Perhaps heís one of our USAC guys who deserves a shot at the big leagues, a very Logano-esque move last night.

There are countless other incidents. Last year at the Grove in the Silver Crown car, he drove through Buckwalter on the last lap. Itís not always for the lead, either. If Windom has to come through the pack, you can generally count on someone having a wrecked race car thanks to his efforts. A race early this year when he totally destroyed Bacon comes to mind.

And when the shoe is on the other foot, he does things like get out and throw his steering wheel at Tyler Thomas under yellow after Tyler barely touched his left front at the 2016 Smackdown. And that wasnít enough for ďBig Daddy,Ē he also had to make sure he started a brawl on the front stretch after the race. He also threw a fit this year when Cole Bodine spun from the lead and Windom got collected while running fourth as if Bodine somehow did so intentionally.

I know Iím just a bleacher, keyboard warrior. Clearly, whatever Windom has done, itís worked for him. He joined the small list of Triple Crown winners last night. Itís just been frustrating as a fan to see the amount of dirty moves heís made, cars heís crashed and temper tantrums heís thrown. Anyway, just my opinion as Iím feeling disappointed in the conclusion to an otherwise thrilling midget season. Congrats to Buddy Kofoid. Seeing him out-duel Larson was very fun to watch.

- Disgruntled Keyboard Jockey
With all that's happened in 2020 you should be happy you got to see ANY racing this year.
 
11/18/20, 1:00 PM   #3
GYATK94
GYATK94 is offline
Senior Member

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 582
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheHammer View Post
With all that's happened in 2020 you should be happy you got to see ANY racing this year.
I donít really think thatís relevant. Plus, itís not an absolute situation. I can have an appreciation that we got a full season in during the pandemic (and I do) and simultaneously be disappointed with things that happened during said season. A Celtics fan can be happy the basketball season finished but disappointed the Lakers won the title.
 
11/18/20, 1:12 PM   #4
flagboy55
flagboy55 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,607
 

94!!! Good to hear from you! I didnít make to qualifying last night but what Iíve read on Twitter it sounds like you have hit the nail squarely on the head. In part I blame USAC. Kirk kindly explained to me not long after the Buckwalter incident ďthereís no penalty for contactĒ. Ok, maybe not but then you open up this kinda worm can. Iíll watch it tonight and critique it but the bits Iíve seen looks pretty dirty. I hope allís well for you out in California. I must say though, from out here it looks like your governor is a tyrant.
Oh by the way. Itís ok to be a keyboard warrior, thatís your privilege as a fan and paying customer!
 
11/18/20, 1:32 PM   #5
Re: Windom
revjimk
revjimk is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,418
 

Kofoid ran a GREAT race! I was rooting for Sunshine, but congratulations to Windom for Triple Crown!
What kind of mechanical failure stopped Sunshine in Arizona, anyway?
_________________________________________________
Last edited by revjimk; 11/18/20 at 1:34 PM.
 
11/18/20, 1:38 PM   #6
GYATK94
GYATK94 is offline
Senior Member

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 582
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
94!!! Good to hear from you! I didnít make to qualifying last night but what Iíve read on Twitter it sounds like you have hit the nail squarely on the head. In part I blame USAC. Kirk kindly explained to me not long after the Buckwalter incident ďthereís no penalty for contactĒ. Ok, maybe not but then you open up this kinda worm can. Iíll watch it tonight and critique it but the bits Iíve seen looks pretty dirty. I hope allís well for you out in California. I must say though, from out here it looks like your governor is a tyrant.
Oh by the way. Itís ok to be a keyboard warrior, thatís your privilege as a fan and paying customer!
Hey flagboy! Good to hear from you as well. Iím not as active on here as I once was, but I still loom around and occasionally post lol. When you watch the replay of the race it wonít add much context. I donít believe Flo got video of the incident. The best Iíve seen was a camera placed in the dirt in the middle of three and four, found on Twitter. Really, though, video isnít needed as Windom admitted to it in a post race interview. Maybe he felt so comfortable doing so because of what you said, heíll face no repercussions.

All is well out here despite our restrictions. Definitely didnít get to as many races as I normally would but visited Indiana for all nights of smackdown and got to a new track, Keller Auto Speedway, a few weeks ago for the inaugural Tom Tarlton Classic, paid 21,000 to win and had some big names show, including Larson. The down year will just heighten my appreciation for races I get to next year provided a vaccine is available lol.
 
11/18/20, 1:51 PM   #7
Re: Windom
California Mike
California Mike is offline
Member

Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
 

I agree with GYAT94 on driving style. But not on being a Triple Crown winner. He won all three division, but not in the same year. Maybe a Three Division Champion. Winning the Triple Crown (Stewart, Yeley) Should not be tarnished by others who took several years obtain. Although a great accomplishment to those drivers.
 
4 members like this post: bighd0522, Bill Angel, Mofiaboss, wbr
11/18/20, 2:04 PM   #8
Re: Windom
revjimk
revjimk is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,418
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
Hey flagboy! Good to hear from you as well. Iím not as active on here as I once was, but I still loom around and occasionally post lol. When you watch the replay of the race it wonít add much context. I donít believe Flo got video of the incident. The best Iíve seen was a camera placed in the dirt in the middle of three and four, found on Twitter. Really, though, video isnít needed as Windom admitted to it in a post race interview. Maybe he felt so comfortable doing so because of what you said, heíll face no repercussions.

All is well out here despite our restrictions. Definitely didnít get to as many races as I normally would but visited Indiana for all nights of smackdown and got to a new track, Keller Auto Speedway, a few weeks ago for the inaugural Tom Tarlton Classic, paid 21,000 to win and had some big names show, including Larson. The down year will just heighten my appreciation for races I get to next year provided a vaccine is available lol.
Yea, I didn't see the incident on Flo...
 
11/18/20, 2:53 PM   #9
Joe Schaub
Joe Schaub is offline
Member

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 88
 

So am I to believe we now to start putting asterisks next to drivers who win titles but had contact with other drivers? If so, then we need to stop thinking that any champion that has come before is as good as they were.

As a previous NASCAR fan, I saw Dale Sr. do incredibly stupid stuff like wreck LaBonte at Bristol twice, wreck Wallace at Talladega, wreck Waltrip at Richmond, drove backwards on the track at both Talladega and Dover. All the while people cheered and defended his driving style. Foyt, Andretti, Under, hell even Vogler did very questionable driving. Are we to chastise them now for it?
__________________
Just here to read threads, enjoy racing and no drama.
 
1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
11/18/20, 3:34 PM   #10
Re: Windom
Bad Dad 54
Bad Dad 54 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 714
 

Oh boy, I had to deal w/ this problem when I was a race official, if you pulled a bone head move you could count on me seeing you after the races, my drivers didn't have a lotta money to fix cars. I needed 20 cars or more to make a show so I didn't appreciate someone crashing another driver
 
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:53 AM.


Make IndianaOpenWheel.com your homepage
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2005-2021 IndianaOpenWheel.com
Mobile VersionLinks: Dave Merritt - Chris Pedersen - Carey Fox - Carey Akin - Joe Bennett - Brandon Murray - Dave Roach - John DaDalt - Racin; With D.O. - Jackslash Media