IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
12/21/20, 9:05 PM   #31
flagboy55

Thanks Mike, we enjoyed you and your wife coming to our annual hootenanny. You guys are always welcome. Like I tell Cigar Dave, you don’t need an invitation just let me know when you’re on your way. We’ll do it again I’m about a month if you’re so inclined.
I first want to extend sincere condolences to anyone who has lost someone to the Wuhan virus. Is it real? Yes. Has it been politicized? Yes. And I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. As far as the original question, I’ve gone to races when I can, I will go whenever I can. The biggest deterrent to me was lack of funds, a side effect of the pandemic. Things are looking up however so next year should be better. I have to say this, we had a bunch of gathering’s in the garage this past summer with 4 TVs going from 4 different race tracks. Not a bad deal either

5 members like this post: dirt330, jim goerge, spicoli, TNRustler, WinglessLovers
12/21/20, 9:46 PM   #32
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
I am truly sorry for anyone who has lost a loved one from this nasty china flu. Yes it's very contagious. The gov has incentivized covid 19 the cause of death to all hospitals. They are tying all illnesses to it. Not a conspiracy theory but fact. These numbers are what the media can't wait to spew out everyday. I don't believe the masks help that much and I don't believe the high toll we are being told. See you at the races.
Belief is one thing, empirical evidence is quite another.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/21/20, 9:59 PM   #33
flagboy55

What’s also empirical is that the chances of dying from other more traditional causes are down, so there’s your silver lining
Last edited by flagboy55; 12/21/20 at 10:22 PM.

12/22/20, 11:27 AM   #34
Re: For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Made it to 20 races this year all local. I stayed away from the bigger events with large crowds mostly to appease my wife who's terrified I was going to bring this home. Saw the wingless Super Sportsman 7 times so I got my wingless fix in through them.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, jim goerge, jonboat15
12/22/20, 12:16 PM   #35
dshort36

Duel you are 100% correct. The number of deaths in 2020 are about the same as they have been in the past five years. I do believe there are covid deaths but it is greatly exaggerated. If someone dies today and tested positive 6 months ago they say it was covid related. They get money to do so. I will not be a sheep those that believe differently and follow I will respect their choice

12/22/20, 12:24 PM   #36
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Cigar Dave
I sure do miss talking with him.

12/22/20, 12:45 PM   #37
jim goerge

Only got to 28 sprint or midgets shows this season, which is really down from last 10 15 years, normally get to 50 or more. Like everybody else the Covid put a hell of a crimp in the plans, but also we had a lot of rain outs. When I was able to go racing, I went. I wear a mask, social distance when need too. Don"t have any problem doing it, if thats what it takes for me to see racing and my friends. Not hitting Florida, for basically four, five nights of racing (2 nights of midgets wait a week then 2 3 nights of sprints) I figure the money it cost to stay in the sunshine state would help me get down the road to a bunch of races around home in Indiana,plan on hitting road pretty hard this year. I"m a old fart with several health problems( 4 bouts with cancer, dialysis) so should be able to get the shot which if I"m offered I"ll do. I"ll do what ever I need to do to go racing and to see my racing family. Everybody please STAY SAFE and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

12/22/20, 3:07 PM   #38
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

This pandemic is nowhere near the level of 1917-18 at one point we had 400 a day dying in Cincy area alone per day, Our whole state hasn't reached near that level.. We're at over 300k and I do believe a ton of that is We think it was covid. But Cancer, Old age along with getting sick = death

This is a bad flu and unique meaning nobody's had this particular bug before, similar to '47 and 69-70 They say that the 69-70 bug if the population were the same as today would have taken over 300k and they shut nothing down. Even held Woodstock.

Also Covid is never going to be completely gone. Like the flu outbreaks, about every ten years we'll have break outs, Why, Because it mutates enough that even those that had it aren't immune, plus new generations.

Type B influenza about get me three years ago. I don't want Covid.

Be safe everyone. See ya at the tracks.

4 members like this post: dshort36, duel, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
12/22/20, 3:20 PM   #39
Daisy's dad

Saw my last race this year on March 7. Fortunately, I still hit a total of 12 between Jan. 11 and that date, as I live in AZ.

I missed ISW this year for the first time in 8 years, and only the 6th time in 21 years. I watched both sprint and midget weeks on Floracing, and from all appearances when the cameras scanned the grandstands, people were packed in pretty good, with masks very few and far between. This was in spite of ticket sales being advertised as limited to on-line, with supposed reduced capacity at all venues.

I'm not being critical of anyone who does otherwise. I just can't risk getting sick 1800 miles from home with my large dog and I traveling alone in an RV. If I end up leaving the hospital in a body bag, things get complicated real fast.

I also had/have no interest in attending the season ending USAC National midget/CRA sprint show at AZ Speedway last month, or the upcoming events in Jan. That was tough, as this track is 15 minutes from my door. The on-line ticket sale seating map showed all seats available for the Western World, although there was vague wording elsewhere in the advertising of some unspecified restrictions. It wasn't clear enough for me to feel comfortable prepaying for tickets, and then find myself elbow to elbow in the stands.

Hope 2021 gets a handle on this with the vaccine. When that happens, I will blow the dust off the RV and see some great racing again.

4 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, PIT CART, TNRustler
12/22/20, 7:23 PM   #40
Joe Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
i understood that political comments were a no no?

1 member likes this post: fish
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?