IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 3 wides picture vault
6/7/12, 5:30 PM   #1
3 wides picture vault
backitin

3 wides picture vault has excellent big block modified and open wheel car photo's. I think it's the best out there. It goes by the year. The mid 70's was the golden era of the big block mod and theres pictures of some of the best including the greatest modified ever the #76 ford falcon of Gerald Chamberlain and the fastest lightest modified ever built the #23 of Glen Fitzcharles. A section on grant king cars,(imho yuck). Also the between the boards section has all Flemington photo's, the best ran at modified country USA. Theres a couple good photos of Jan and some of Tobias, including one taken the day he was killed at Flemington.

2 members like this post: racegal
6/7/12, 7:01 PM   #2
Re: 3 wides picture vault
raceway video

I grew up up in New Jersey and attended East Windsor and Flemington regularly. I love that site and visit it a few times a week. Check out the message board also as they post a bunch of pics all the time. Good times!

http://www.3widespicturevault.com/
Last edited by raceway video; 6/7/12 at 7:03 PM.

2 members like this post: FALCONEDDIE
6/7/12, 7:40 PM   #3
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceway video View Post
I grew up up in New Jersey and attended East Windsor and Flemington regularly. I love that site and visit it a few times a week. Check out the message board also as they post a bunch of pics all the time. Good times!

Good times indeed, it was nearing the end of the build it in your garage yourself era and with it the insane cars. More than one car a night was reduced to pieces, Flemington earned it's rep as flip city. I do know I've never seen nothing like them injected bigblock mods. I knew of a few cars that only weighted a few hundred pounds more than a sprinter but had 3 times the horsepower. I pitted for Gene Coyle he ran a sportsman car. I loved Polaski, sammy beavers and Fitzcharlies. Hated Chamberlain because he ran a ford and was the only guy from reading that could beat the guys above. Now I look back at that falcon and I love it, he's the only guy to win with ford back then. Thanks for putting the site's http up in your post, I would've but am too computer stupid.
Last edited by backitin; 6/7/12 at 7:42 PM.

6/8/12, 12:21 PM   #4
raceway video

Sad news on the site today. It seems "Big" Tom Hager has passed away. Always a favorite of mine back then. RIP

6/8/12, 2:37 PM   #5
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceway video View Post
Sad news on the site today. It seems "Big" Tom Hager has passed away. Always a favorite of mine back then. RIP
Bummer, terrible tom hager and they didnt call him terrible for his breath. If you pulled a sammy on this guy he would tear you to pieces, literally. It was different back then, if you drove like a butt you got beat down and Tom was the one they were all terrified of. He was relevent in his low dollar #43.

6/8/12, 4:30 PM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I always pulled for Tom, a big likeable guy. He'll be missed.

Hagerstown 2008

2 members like this post:
6/14/12, 4:27 PM   #7
Fontana180

Flemmington was a neat track,both dirt and paved you could run flat out with the right setup on the car in a midget. man I miss that place.

6/15/12, 9:18 AM   #8
backitin

Me and 90% of the people who went there stopped going when it was paved, it had to be done due to dust blowin into town. It was the "dustiest" track ever but it wasnt really dust more like a cement mixture of black clay and calcium. Tacky, Super fast. modified record is something like 126mph average (dirt) and wolfgang went around at 141 or so lap average on dirt. The smallblock cars could go without lifting, the bigblocks needed to lift slightly coming out of the short chute and first turn. Glen Fitzcharles was the only modified driver I ever saw doing bigblock laps and not lifting, not bad in a 1200hp car. I've still never seen nothing like it, and the sad part is I know I never will. I was looking at my mid seventies area auto racing news pictorials yesterday. While looking thru it I saw quite a few guys that perished there. Thats the one thing I like about the new cars, way safer. Guys would've still died but not as many.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 3 wides picture vault