IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rear 4-pin Hub Question
1/18/12, 4:14 PM   #11
Re: Rear 4-pin Hub Question
PatrickMead#13

Sounds good to me. I appreciate all the info and advice. I'll start hunting for some plates (new or used). The rest of the car is getting rubbed down with Never-Dul. I agree that new parts are flashy, but I'm not able to blow money like that. I'm just a one man band.....lol If ya happen to run across a set, look me up. Thank you

1 member likes this post:
1/18/12, 6:40 PM   #12
TQ29m

Good luck finding pressure plate for your combo, someone has jury rigged what you have now, and myself, I haven't seen any 4 pin adapters, for 2" splined axles, that's why you got what you got. Where are you located, I'd say your best bet, is to find someone to machine you a pair, I could do it here, but I'd probably need your old ones, to make sure how to make them fit. You might get lucky and find some, but I doubt it. Bob!

1/18/12, 7:32 PM   #13
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Good luck finding pressure plate for your combo, someone has jury rigged what you have now, and myself, I haven't seen any 4 pin adapters, for 2" splined axles, that's why you got what you got. Where are you located, I'd say your best bet, is to find someone to machine you a pair, I could do it here, but I'd probably need your old ones, to make sure how to make them fit. You might get lucky and find some, but I doubt it. Bob!
It's kinda ironic you say that... I looked at them closer today and noticed that it appears someone welded material on the inside and attemped to dremal a surface to have the spacer rest on.
Attached Images
0118121040.jpg (40.1 KB, 80 views)

1/18/12, 8:11 PM   #14
TQ29m

Yeh, I saw that also, I found some spacers on ebay, they should fit your 4 pin hubs,wheels, and all you'll need to do is have someone chuck them in a lathe, and add the taper in them, should be an easy fix. I'll PM you the item number! Bob!

---------- Post added at 7:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:10 PM ----------

And, it wasn't "ironic", I saw it first off.

1/18/12, 8:15 PM   #15
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Yeh, I saw that also, I found some spacers on ebay, they should fit your 4 pin hubs,wheels, and all you'll need to do is have someone chuck them in a lathe, and add the taper in them, should be an easy fix. I'll PM you the item number! Bob!

---------- Post added at 7:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:10 PM ----------

And, it wasn't "ironic", I saw it first off.
Well played Sir...... Thanks for the help!!!

1/28/12, 12:24 AM   #16
Fontana180

Here is my 2 cents on this from my experience. In dealing w/six pin wheel and pressure plates I have come across theses issues. Six pin wheels have different thicknesses (center thickness) per various manufacturers. This will result in the wheel being too thin between the plates and will not get a proper crush when tightened, leaving the wheel actually loose. It will gual (sp) the surfaces including the cone spacers. With this I will use a flat spacer plate between the hub & wheel or the pressure plate and the outside face of the wheel to fill which will allow it to be tightened correctly. The other issue is the manufacturers also do not all use the same tapper on the spacer hub & plate assembly, spacer cones & axel nuts. It is important to be sure the tapper of the axel nuts match the tapper of your pressure plate & cone spacers. The difference in the tapper angles will wear each other out not having a matching tapper angle. This will get you in trouble due to stuff working itself tight or loose, plus destroying the mating surfaces. It is also very important to not get dirt on the surfaces. Once they get chewed up it is not easy to save them, it is normally junk. Hope this may help

Mike L.

2/8/12, 11:25 PM   #17
PatrickMead#13

New plates are done and all machining is complete. Want to send a special public Thank you to TQ29M for his idea and it was a great one!!!! Very nice setup now.....Machined taper and bored for hub to slip in backside to accomodate different wheel center thicknesses. Thank you for your help!!!! Pat
Attached Images
hub1.jpg (39.0 KB, 49 views)
hub2.jpg (40.2 KB, 50 views)

1 member likes this post:
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rear 4-pin Hub Question