IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The World Series of Auto Racing
1/31/11, 12:50 PM   #1
The World Series of Auto Racing
bigmojo5

Wasn't there something in 1974 called the World Series of Auto Racing in which drivers raced midgets, sprints, silver crown, stock cars and IndyCars to decide the best overall driver? Seems I remember a photo in Speed Sport of cars on the track at Trenton with snow flying.
I also believe the World Series was the inspiration IROC.

Any old timers got a better memory than mine?

1/31/11, 4:57 PM   #2
Re: The World Series of Auto Racing
KingDoodlebug

If memory serves me correct Richard Conole was the promoter it took place at two tracks.
In the fall we ran Pocono on the short track with Midgets and Sprints. (We burned more methodol in trash cans to keep warm than in the race cars. It was snowing on the start of the midget race)

In the spring we ran Texas World Speedway with Champ Cars and Stock Cars.

It consistent of I think 12 drivers competing to determine overall Champion.

I can't remember all the drivers right now, but I have it written down somewhere. It was a neat concept, but promoter took a bath on it because of BAD weather on both weekends. Fall it snowed and Spring it rained.

2/2/11, 5:36 PM   #3
KingDoodlebug

Correction to my previous post

Pocono portion held October 20 1974 Midget race won by Pancho Carter Sprint car race won by AJ Foyt

Trenton, NJ was the second portion for Stock and Indy Cars held April 27, 1975 Stock Car won by AJ Foyt and Indy Car Johnny Rutherford

2/2/11, 5:53 PM   #4
bigmojo5

Thanks.
That was probably Foyt's last sprint win in this country. There might have been some in Australia. Pocono seems a strange choice for the midget and sprint races. Seems the mile at Trenton would have been a better selection while Pocono would have been better for the stocks and IndyCars.

2/2/11, 6:28 PM   #5
Fontana180

The midgets were on the small (? 1/2-3/4) mile track not the big Tri-oval. If I remember correctly the indy cars did not like Pocono BK it was to rough, a result of the freeze & thaw over the winter months

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The World Series of Auto Racing