IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sets RPM Limits For Midgets
10/25/10, 4:43 PM   #31
Re: USAC Sets RPM Limits For Midgets
ImissAscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum View Post
West coast won't follow it. power i is not going to. Usac won't be able to police it they never can. They can't even pump a motor in calif. So there going to do this for there 12 nat. cars. Or are doing it for toyota. I don't beleive they will have a western states midget series next year with ventura starting its own next year.
The Ventura deal will be using the Esslinger EST that is the biggest part of this story to begin with. It's the cheapest brand new motor that will be competitive with USAC and which ever sanc. you choose to run with.

10/25/10, 5:39 PM   #32
Fontana180

Can anyone say traction control ??

10/28/10, 6:24 PM   #33
gio_momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontana180 View Post
Can anyone say traction control ??
I'm sure that anyone can "say" it, but it's not going to happen with the Esslinger deal. It's already possible (and pretty easy, BTW) with any of the programmable MSD boxes. The Electromotive box that Esslinger is using (Tec-S) doesn't have the provision to switch anything on the fly (like the MSD does...lol). Seriously...the short course guys have been doing it for a LONG time.

The Esslinger EFI engine is going to be a sealed box AND you can't modify anything on any TEC unit (or even view the settings) without a copy of the .bin file in your possession. Been that way forever with Electromotive.

That and I understand (I have some pretty good contacts) that the serial plug is also going to be deleted (so good luck even communicating with it at all)...and that the sanctioning bodies are going to have their own ECUs for tech purposes. Potential cheater? "Here's your box".

Not to mention that it's essentially the same equipment that the USAC and NEMA Focus midgets have been running for years. It's the same ignition box -- the "XDi" -- only with injector outputs added.

Have they had problems with traction control?

sign me,

Electromotive Enthusiast

10/29/10, 5:01 PM   #34
Fontana180

"Have they had problems with traction control?" Yes, out west!!!!

10/30/10, 1:07 AM   #35
gio_momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontana180 View Post
"Have they had problems with traction control?" Yes, out west!!!!
With the MSD guys?

It's pretty easy to do with those. Frankly, I'm surprised they even allow the boxes with alternate timing curves.
Last edited by gio_momma; 10/30/10 at 1:10 AM.

10/30/10, 11:18 AM   #36
shazam3

Scott...Right on all counts...You know they just took the most popular motors that were hand picked by the manufacturers not the average 12 Gearte or 11X that's living in a lot of midgets that are sitting in shops afraid to race. Pushrod motors, which ones? I've been through this instance in Drag Racing and the "big" money manufacturers always got the nod and the rules to their advantage.
If there are RPM limits make them all the same at 9000RPM. This gives no one a gear advantage both dirt and pavement. Yes, some guys with the OHC motors will have to tune but the "average" guy with the older motor will maybe be competitive depending on the chassis tuneup not the gear disadvantage. This would allow a bunch of cars to be competitive again. Then the drivers and the chassis setup will be the deciding factor.

10/30/10, 11:54 AM   #37
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
That....or they could have taken three people on staff....placed blindfolds on their faces with the names of the different motors.....and bobbed for apples with RPMs on them. Whatever they pulled out....was the RPM.
Darn it, Scott. You just gave away their secret solution for rule change decisions!

10/31/10, 6:56 AM   #38
gojrracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Paging Mr. Moore, paging Mr. Moore...
What do you want to Mr. Moore?

10/31/10, 9:37 AM   #39
lovindirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
Quick question, since I don't race midgets....

These rpm numbers...8700, 8800 and 9800....

These are LIMITS???

You meant to tell me that you midget racers have been cranking your motors PAST these numbers???

Some of you guys run past 9 grand? 10 grand?

Seriously?
I have heard the ford esslinger turning 13 plus man and that was 10 years ago

11/2/10, 1:13 AM   #40
gio_momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindirt View Post
I have heard the ford esslinger turning 13 plus man and that was 10 years ago
If someone was dumb enough to turn one that high, he was wasting his time and wasting parts. 10 years ago, they had the short heads and they just flat don't breathe up that high.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sets RPM Limits For Midgets