IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier tires
3/5/24, 8:56 PM   #11
flagboy55

A ton of factors involved. I’ve read that Hoosier can’t get enough help, I’ve read other manufacturers aren’t prepared to fill a void Hoosier might leave, and supply issues may still be a thing. But considering Hoosier sponsors every series and track, the chance for competition will be nearly nonexistent. And unless they print money like the government, the money for sponsorship comes from increasing price on the tire being sold.

1 member likes this post: Leohr46
3/5/24, 9:11 PM   #12
Re: Hoosier tires
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I don't know the answer. There's been tires blowing de to abrasive tracks forever. seen a Daytime Racin With DO Bloomington race one fall that Joe Rouch blew the first RR and won the race. this probably 1990

First thing I noticed when I seen one of the few Sprint races from Australia on Flo were the American Racers on the cars.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
3/6/24, 7:34 AM   #13
Hubie48

what is that about Pandora's Box?

3/6/24, 12:34 PM   #14
Midget98

Hoosier or any other tire manufacturer could make a tire that would last multiple weeks, or maybe even half a season. There's nothing new about tire technology that would make this a possibility. AJ foyt won the Indy 500 on only one set of tires way back in the '60's. Will speeds go down because of it? Probably. The real reason why this won't happen is money. Tire companies can't make money selling a fraction of the tires they sell now. They need the tires to be as disposable as possible, so that you need to buy as many new ones as you can afford. In the end, Hoosier is in business to make money, not save the customer money. They don't do that by NOT selling as many tires as they can.

6 members like this post: 2fast4u, flagboy55, Hubie48, PIT CART, racenut69, snowdrift
3/6/24, 8:07 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
Hoosier or any other tire manufacturer could make a tire that would last multiple weeks, or maybe even half a season. There's nothing new about tire technology that would make this a possibility. AJ foyt won the Indy 500 on only one set of tires way back in the '60's. Will speeds go down because of it? Probably. The real reason why this won't happen is money. Tire companies can't make money selling a fraction of the tires they sell now. They need the tires to be as disposable as possible, so that you need to buy as many new ones as you can afford. In the end, Hoosier is in business to make money, not save the customer money. They don't do that by NOT selling as many tires as they can.
And when there's no Race cars left because teams can't afford the 20-40k tire bill every season. Then what do they do?

Me, Im for putting flintstone on em. Takes away all the tire eating and motor cost. No more boring race than watching a tire pop then under yellow being able to see the next two who's going to pop and they do.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART
3/6/24, 8:20 PM   #16
brown11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
And when there's no Race cars left because teams can't afford the 20-40k tire bill every season. Then what do they do?

Me, Im for putting flintstone on em. Takes away all the tire eating and motor cost. No more boring race than watching a tire pop then under yellow being able to see the next two who's going to pop and they do.
Any team spending 20-40k a season on tires can easily afford it.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, OnTheHammer
3/6/24, 9:26 PM   #17
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
I remember the days of when a car having a McCreary, Goodyear,Firestone, Hoosier combination was commonplace.
Majority of people on here never lived through the open tire times. Back in the late 80’s teams would have to carry inventory of McCreary’s, Hoosiers and Goodyears and you would switch back and forth depending on what track surface was better for which tire. Back then Hoosier would give away countless free tires to teams to get teams to run them as McCreary and Goodyear were superior.

I like the tire rule as it makes life easier and to be honest I don’t see American Racer making much of an effort to get back into the sprint car tire business. Plus sanctioning bodies and tracks have come to enjoy the money they make off it. If they would open up the tire rule would guys run something different if they were being beat by a Hoosier nowadays? Just thoughts…

3/8/24, 12:16 PM   #18
BrentTFunk

I am pretty sure that both steel block series have an open tire rule. If that is what fans and teams truly want, then the pits and stands will be packed for their shows. The other tracks and series will be forced to change to be successful. Will have to see how it works out.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/8/24, 9:59 PM   #19
flagboy55

I don’t know any fan that goes to the track because of a tire manufacturer. But tire costs are a constant point of contention, by people who buy them. I only see one manufacturer at the race’s I pay attention to so one way or the other, they have a direct influence on what tires cost. As far as steel blocks go, other than one of my best friends in the whole world being involved, I have no interest, regardless of what rubber they use

3/9/24, 3:49 AM   #20
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I don’t know any fan that goes to the track because of a tire manufacturer. But tire costs are a constant point of contention, by people who buy them. I only see one manufacturer at the race’s I pay attention to so one way or the other, they have a direct influence on what tires cost. As far as steel blocks go, other than one of my best friends in the whole world being involved, I have no interest, regardless of what rubber they use

When you have some of your favorite racers tell you they don't race your track much due to the tire brand mandate and others tell you they use two too three RR's a night when the proper compound and choice would last all night and then some.

Yeah, It matters. Even with the mandate, having three compounds available is still a better option.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier tires