IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A thank you to Kokomo
7/12/15, 7:20 PM   #11
Re: A thank you to Kokomo
Jonr

I think that this is a topic where the promoters get a bad reputation for no reason. There are two main ways to handle a rain out after the heat races are complete, and I do not remember a time recently where the racers were not offered an oppurtunity to get paid. For a weekly show (and some annual shows), the main events will be made up the next time that the track races. This provides a double feature night for the fans that show up on the night with the make up races. PLEASE NOTE: The racers get paid for the rained out main event. For a special show, the promoter uses some sort of formula to split the purse for all of the racers. The easiest way is total purse divided by the drivers in the main. PLEASE NOTE: The racers get paid for the rained out main event. In both cases, the promoter pays out the exact same amount that he was going to on the night of the rainout.

One of the biggest misconceptions in racing is that promoters make money on rain outs. This simply is not true. Rain outs are a money losing proposition for the promoters. There are a lot of costs that must be paid the minute the track is open. It does not matter if the race last the entire time, or gets rained out after the first heat race, there are costs that will not be made up. Below is a post that I have put on IOW before about rain outs. I think that it is a great read for all.

This post is a little dated (2010) but it gives a good behind the scene look at promoting the race track. The author of this post spent several years working at the right hand man to a couple of promoters in the DFW area. He has a very good understanding of the financials of a track.

Postby ReggieF » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Now let's talk about a rainout.

Insurance - (Note the insurance has to be in the mail before the race night for an established promoter. A new promoter often must have his check to the insurance company before the date of the races)

When you call the rainout is important.

No one in the pits - your entire premium can be applied to the next race night

Open the pit gate - 25 to 30% of the premium forfeit

Hot Laps - 50-65% of the premium forfeit

Any race takes a green flag - 100% of the premium forfeit

C-Stand - about 25-35% of your concession stand supplies for the night cannot be saved and reused. Throw them out or eat a lot of burgers.

Staff costs - most track staff get paid nothing on a rainout, maybe half pay if the races have started.

Security, ambulance and often c-stand workers get paid for the hours worked.
Depending upon the track and locations - you may have to pay a full night ambulance fee. That was the requirement at NTMS which was expensive. Once the ambulance left Tyler for NTMS - we had to pay a minimum 8 hours at $85 per hour.

At a minimum - 40% of the race night costs without the purse is what a rainout costs you. That does not include any weekly costs which are almost all wasted.

You also loose between 3 and 5% of your potential yearly income with a rainout. If you get six rainouts per season - your yearly gross have been cut by 20 to 30%.

You can never make up that income.

The absolute worst for a promoter is to have a rainout after the races have started. The next week the pit gate income will likely be below $700 as everyone comes back with their armbands from the previous week. Probably half the front gate crowd will get in free.

So you've taken two nights income and barely get enough for one good night. You have your good race night full expenses and 30% of the previous rainout night expenses.

Money loser anyway you look at it.

As the posted stated, the promoter is going to open his track twice. When it opens the track twice there are things that he is going to have to pay twice, but he is only going to be able to charge once. A rain out is a money losing proposition. This poster also had a lot of other posts about what it takes to make money as a promoter. The entire thread is at http://www.elbowsup.com/viewtopic.ph...31610&start=10
Last edited by Jonr; 7/12/15 at 7:24 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, fish, jim goerge, racer-x
7/12/15, 7:32 PM   #12
PIT CART

So now we are bashing racers and not just the rain out policy? Let's face it this happens every year on a USAC show in Indiana. I was convinced it was going to rain when I bought my pit pass last.

7/13/15, 1:00 AM   #13
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

If you BASH promoters, owners, teams, or drivers, eventually they Will give up and disappear, just take a deep breath and get along, it's racing.

6 members like this post: addictedtodirt, BrentTFunk, davidm, dirt330, fish, jim goerge
7/13/15, 11:18 AM   #14
Re: A thank you to Kokomo
jim goerge

I wish I could make it back . But I'm not doing a 8 hours round trip for 2 races just don't add up for me. Disappointed hell yes but I feel in seeing the heats and C main I got my money's . Thanks Kokomo

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, fish, mc/rider, racedave, rapid robert
7/13/15, 12:39 PM   #15
JarrettFarms73

Per USAC Twitter. Rained out. Kokomo won't count toward ISW points. MAKE UP DATE to complete the show. Wed. August 26th!!!!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A thank you to Kokomo