IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Promoters dislike updates?
4/19/14, 10:16 PM   #1
Joey Woods

Rain forecasted and worried about low attendance/car count?

Scared Fans won't come and pay if we can read it for free?

Get a "Buckley" to broadcast a live feed and charge the general admission price for it. I personally live 5 minutes from Ellis Park (horse racing) but seldom miss a race day on the internet but may only attend in person once or twice during their live meet. There have been many times I skip Haubstadt (20 minutes ) because looks like a rainout or if it's going to be a big crowd I don't want to get stuck seated near smokers I'll just sit at home and read live updates but would pay my normal admission price to watch it live. Just to be honest this is more directed at the local fan base because I personally would rarely if ever pay for a feed from a track that is not my local track unless it's a big race.

Maybe I'm off my rocker but thought id throw it out there anyway.
Last edited by Joey Woods; 4/19/14 at 10:20 PM.

2 members like this post: Hot Rod K., RacinReggie
4/19/14, 11:20 PM   #2
Re: Promoters dislike updates?
Bad Dad 54

My beef is a different w/ track promoters, went to race last yr & after put'n heat in it rained out so we go to get a refund. No cash refunds, you have to mail it in along w/ a receipt. Why bother you got the money right there in your hand, why bother w/ stamps, envelopes & checks?? One young man took his pit pass off right in front of them & would not give him a refund cause he didn't have receipt. Guess what track I'm not going to anymore

2 members like this post: dirtball, Motormasher
4/20/14, 1:42 AM   #3
johnnythunderhead
Banned

well at least they refunded your $$ if you mailed your ticket stub in. a couple of years ago I attended an Indiana speed week usac race, and it rained for ten minutes after time trials and rather than work the track in they called the race and refused to give any refunds either in person or even by mail/ then when I voiced my displeasure with that situation, everyone on this site swore up and down that no Indiana track has ever given a refund in the case of a rain out. now, as far as updates go, as a result of the incident I've referred to above, I always check the weather reports before I leave and if there's a chance of rain, I don't go, unless the race is in ohio or pa., where promoters do give refunds, or unless the race is close to home in indiana
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 4/21/14 at 5:17 AM.

4/20/14, 6:48 AM   #4
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

I've never understood the no updates thing. That's like saying posting the setlist of a concert after each song saves me from having to pay to see it.

5 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, fish, Joey Woods, Pine, Task Force
4/20/14, 11:18 AM   #5
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
My beef is a different w/ track promoters, went to race last yr & after put'n heat in it rained out so we go to get a refund. No cash refunds, you have to mail it in along w/ a receipt. Why bother you got the money right there in your hand, why bother w/ stamps, envelopes & checks?? One young man took his pit pass off right in front of them & would not give him a refund cause he didn't have receipt. Guess what track I'm not going to anymore
The problem with Cash Refunds is that too few people pay with exact change. If admission is $13 & people pay with even a $10 & a $5, come refund time it doesn't take long to run out of $1 bills.

I'd rather have the option of a Pass for the admission amount to be applied towards the admission on ANY other night or give me an envelope and I'll address it, put my ticket/wristband/whatever in it and mail me the check.

Anyway you look at it, RAINOUTS SUCK FOR EVERYONE!

steiny

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtball, fish, Joey Woods, mowerman, Mud Packer, speed bump
4/20/14, 12:37 PM   #6
Motormasher

tri state speedway always offers a refund, thats why they are "the class track".
Went to Granite City once for a WoO show that rained out & no refund, NEVER GOING BACK
Nothing wrong with updates, always makes me sad to hear how exciting a race was & NOT there to see it.

4/21/14, 2:10 AM   #7

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Internet updates wouldn't stop me from going to any race. it is no substitute for being there.

Weather Risk may keep me home on races with long drives but now with mobile updates I may be more likely to make the long drive knowing I may get that text telling me its time to turn around saving me the entire drive to an empty parking lot as in times past before the web and cell phones.

Also didn't know there was tracks out there with poor rainout policies. Most track I frequent usually let you use your ticket stub on another date if less than half the scheduled events ran. I cant remember one where I didn't get a fair shake.

2 members like this post: Joey Woods, speed bump
4/21/14, 7:01 AM   #8
BrentTFunk

Updates are OK if you are at Bloomington instead of Gas City, and you are finding out whats going on. If you notice it is always the same people who are not at the track getting updates. Tracks need butts in the seats to survive. Bring a potential sponsor to a track, and the place is half full, and they are not going to waste their money. They will say, why invest here when no one is here.

4/21/14, 8:28 AM   #9

I see both sides of it. I live an hour away from the closest race track. If the weather is real hit and miss, I will reley on updates to decide weather I am going or not. Because of working 2 jobs, I do not chance it on rainy nights because normally I can not make the rain date. Now on refunds, I have never had a problem with a track using rain outs toward another event. The last time I was rained out at Gas City for a usac race, they let me use my band at a regular night show. Ya I lost a little money on the deal but I could not make it back to the reschedule date. I was thankful they worked with me. Now to those of you complaining about not getting a refund at the gate. Most of the series you show up to watch are getting paid regaurdless. I can not name for you a track raking in money just hand over fist. So where do you think that sanctioning fee is coming from. It is hard to shell out 10 to 30 thousand while you are watching rain drops fall.

2 members like this post: Joey Woods, speed bump
4/21/14, 10:23 AM   #10
Blitzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
What track prints receipts? Unless maybe using $$card of some sort..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Promoters dislike updates?