Huset's/Badlands
Therealether

Sounds sketchy to me
https://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Hu...511351691.html

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
6/16/19, 5:01 PM   #2
Re: Huset's/Badlands
Jonr

There is a long thread on this on HoseHeads. The three big take aways from the thread:

1. There is $200,000 entry fee. 18 car minimum 36 car maximum
2. No one thinks that the race will happen.
3. Everyone hates Chuck.

Below is a link to the original news release:

http://www.husets.com/

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mc/rider, Therealether
6/16/19, 6:10 PM   #3
PIT CART

Who is Chuck?

6/16/19, 6:37 PM   #4
ThePurple73

I believe they are racing at Hartford on the other side of Sioux Falls.

6/16/19, 7:28 PM   #5
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
Who is Chuck?
Chuck Brennan is the owner of Dollar Loan Centers. Sioux Falls was his home town, and he was trying to build a "destination visitor spot" Badlands Speedway was part of his empire, along with Badlands Pawn, a shooting range, concert hall, and a Classic Rock radio station. When he rebranded Husets into Badlands, it was the first of many things he did to upset the apple cart. He moved the race night from Sunday to Saturday night. He went into direct competition against Knoxville as the premiere race track in the Midwest. He "contracted" several 410 teams to run Badlands over Knoxville. He spent a lot of money to upgrade the racetrack with modern facilities. (it has been compared to what Tony did at Eldora) To some, he was a breath of fresh air spending a ton of money on racing and his facility. To the vast majority, he was a spoiled rich kid throwing his money around.

A couple of years ago, the residents of South Dakota passed a bill outlawing the predatory lending business that Dollar Loan Center was doing. There was a lot of campaigning for/against this bill. Chuck stated that if the bill passed that he would have to leave the state. The bill passed, and Chuck shut down his holdings. He closed down the pawn shop/gun shop/ race track and radio station.

This brings us to our current situation.

4 members like this post: PIT CART, PJ Wright, spicoli, toledo47
6/16/19, 10:23 PM   #6
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

To me this will never come off. I don't believe there are 18 sprint car teams that are going to put up $200,000 or have that amount to make this one work. As Brad Doty said on Twitter "Bring your lawyer and have them look over the contract with a fine tooth comb". Have to look out for back taxes or other claims on the property and what team would want to own a race track??

Bruce Eckel

3 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, PJ Wright
6/17/19, 12:06 AM   #7
Therealether

I agree. I doubt there are 18 teams that can put up an entry fee like that. And why would any of them want to run a track? Now, make it a $200 entry fee and maybe you get some action.

6/17/19, 9:04 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

So basically every team that doesn't win loses 200k.
The team that wins gets the track for 200k
And Chuck gets a minimum of 3.6 million for the track.

Sounds Legit.

My personal feelings on it. The man put a ton of money into the track, paid some big money and in a world of teams wanting more $$$ to run for. He got the shaft. Not necessaraly by the racers that be, But the people and orgs that pull the strings. NO WOO, NO LOLMDS, NO ALL Stars,

Same Scenerio is playing out at Mansfield now. It's a great track. Putting up lots of $$ and can't get the names or sanctions. or even good dates.

Fact of the mater is, There are a hundred tracks out there for sale or lease. You have to have some long term capital and work with em and not against em before you'll ever be able to build into profit making track.

Chuck wants to make his $$ back, he needs to lease it on a percentage basis and invest what he gets in, May take decades but it is, what it is.

My question is, If Mansfield don't renew for next year, Does Lawrenceburg get it's LOLMDs Date back?
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/17/19 at 9:05 AM.

6/17/19, 10:46 AM   #9
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
My question is, If Mansfield don't renew for next year, Does Lawrenceburg get it's LOLMDs Date back?
Not to wish anything negative on Mansfield, but man I hope Lawrenceburg does get a Lucas Oil date again. Lawrenceburg is one of my favorite tracks, and that was a can’t miss race for me every year.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Huset's/Badlands