IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Construction
4/25/18, 6:30 PM   #1
KingRandomUser

As most are aware there is still a massive amount of construction in the Bloomington area. Those coming from the north (southbound) are most affected. With construction on SR37 it is 1 lane from 2nd street to Fullerton Pike [For Tapp Rd Bridge Construction] as well as just past the SR 45/46 interchange to the 3rd street exit, Walnut street gets packed from Country Club Dr [which is closed] to just past Kroger South due to construction on Rhorer, and Walnut Street Pike is also backed up due to the increased traffic flow and poor traffic management [hence the construction in the area].

With the upcoming USAC event, fans and teams arriving in the area anytime past roughly 3pm will be affected by the traffic, especially during the evening rush. Alternate routes to avoid these areas isn't easy to find, but encouraged to avoid being stuck, especially on the heavier traffic Friday evenings.

There are two alternate routes that can avoid all affected areas and make travel a bit easier for teams and fans. The routes listed below are setup for race teams given trailers are harder to maneuver with. Fans have a few other options and roads in the route they could take and some will be noted, but not all since there are several shortcuts.

Route 1: Exit West towards Ellitsville on State Road 45/46. Get in left lane. Turn left at first stop light onto Curry Pike. Follow Curry Pike straight as it turns into Leonard Springs once you cross over SR45 [2nd street by WalMart]. At the stop sign, turn left onto Fullerton Pike. At the Roundabout, go almost completely around as you exit onto State Road 37 South past all the traffic/construction. Exit 114 to stay on SR37. Race teams can continue on to the Walnut St. redlight and turn left to come back North on Walnut St. Then right onto Fairfax at the redlight.

Route 2: Exit at the Walnut St. bypass/business. At the redlight for SR45/46 [the very large intersection just past McDonalds], turn left and follow the route straight as it turns into Sare Rd after the Moores Pike intersection. As you go past the mall, get in Left Lane before the Moores Pike light. Continue straight through the Roundabout to stay on Sare. As Sare ends past Jackson Creek Middle School, race teams and fans that wish to park in lower lot are advised to Turn Left, as Walnut St Pike is severely congested and has poor traffic management. Fans parking in upper lot can turn right, then left at the stop sign to get onto Walnut Pike and into the upper lot. Those turning left as Sare ends, Take a right onto S. Harrell Rd. As it ends, Take a right onto E. Moffett Ln. As it ends, Take a right onto Fairfax. Speedway will appear on the right.

Hopefully this can help some teams and fans coming in during the latter hours to avoid being stuck in traffic with minimal detouring. Not just this week, but for the next several months as construction progresses. I'll update as construction changes and if any other routes close, open, or improve/worsen.

Last to note, those coming from the East [Westbound from Columbus, Nashville, etc. Use the Route 2 method to avoid Walnut St. Pike]. Those coming from the West [Spencer, Ellitsville, etc.] Use Route 1, turn right onto Curry Pike and follow from there.
Last edited by KingRandomUser; 4/25/18 at 6:34 PM.

4/25/18, 8:21 PM   #2
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Basically, if you’re coming from the North and haven’t left already, you’re late. Seriously though, be safe. There’s not one single road into or out of this town that’s not somehow restricted. And it’s no better living here and getting from one side of town to the other. Be patient and stay safe.

4/25/18, 8:29 PM   #3
chasinracin2

I drove SR.46 West from Columbus to Bloomington Speedway last Friday evening. Bridge construction on SR. 46 has road down to one lane using a traffic signal to move traffic. 45 minutes to drive from Gnaw Bone to Salt Creek golf corse, so this route is not much better.

4/25/18, 10:58 PM   #4
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

If you are coming from the west on SR46 you probably will be driving thru alleys and backstreets in Spencer due to construction. I believe it is mostly from 231 east toward the river bridge.

4/25/18, 11:12 PM   #5
Re: Bloomington Construction
dirt330

Just might take up sky diving and try landing in infield.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, PJ Wright, tirespinner, wildman92
4/26/18, 12:21 AM   #6
btg1963

Who would have ever dreamed we would have a better road up from Evansville to Bloomington than from Indianapolis to Bloomington!!! 😇

4/26/18, 4:19 AM   #7
KingRandomUser

I only listed the problem areas within Bloomington, as there are indeed several other issues elsewhere outside of town. However a lot of those are a bit more unavoidable without massively detouring or trying to manuver narrow residential streets. But if anyone has suggestions for those areas feel free to help guide others.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, PJ Wright
4/26/18, 12:17 PM   #8
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by btg1963 View Post
Who would have ever dreamed we would have a better road up from Evansville to Bloomington than from Indianapolis to Bloomington!!! 😇
Shhhhh. Don’t say this too loud.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/26/18, 6:33 PM   #9
Re: Bloomington Construction
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinracin2 View Post
I drove SR.46 West from Columbus to Bloomington Speedway last Friday evening. Bridge construction on SR. 46 has road down to one lane using a traffic signal to move traffic. 45 minutes to drive from Gnaw Bone to Salt Creek golf corse, so this route is not much better.
Thanks for the warning. I'll be scouting the back roads for sure. Road construction here will see me taking a different route as soon as I turn from my street on the far east side.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Construction