IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.
7/14/22, 7:22 PM   #31
Re: Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili B
hoosier race fan

Brands matter more than individuals or teams. The Chili Bowl is a brand. The Tulsa Shootout is quickly becoming a brand. Both events will be fine, with or without stars that are trying to intimidate the promoter into raising the purse with social media.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/14/22, 8:53 PM   #32
ossuks

Ray3 beat me to the finacials...Emmit says it cost 1million to put on show....I figure Ray3 is short on his numbers.... but he did that so those that think the CB is the end all wont poke holes in his numbers....I come up with a net of close to 5.5million. Just a 10% purse would be $550,000 and the 2022 purse was? THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMMMM!

7/14/22, 9:04 PM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I remember when Emmitt has non wing sprint races out at lakeside and a few other tracks and several IN teams would go out just because they had mad respect for Emmitt. Now he's the bad guy.

7/14/22, 9:44 PM   #34
ossuks

Just skimmed most posts but did not see where anyone made any comments about EH? Did read couple where people tooks shots at Larson and Bell, but its the internet and thats the type integrity you get! Facts are facts and numbers are facts...But as long as fans buy tickets why would EH care who shows up, a few names not attending is not going to change a thing! EH "TAKE THE MONEY ABD RUN!

7/14/22, 9:45 PM   #35
SteelCore

Kyle said it's not as big of an event anymore.

And I agree. I went once. It seemed like a standard USAC show with a lot of cars.

For me big event wise Knoxville Nationals and Kings Royal are top dog. They're hard to beat in the open wheel dirt car world.

But I have a way better time at Midget week, Sprint Week, or Smackdown than I did at the Chili Bowl for a fraction of the cost.

2 members like this post: Dale, PIT CART
7/14/22, 10:48 PM   #36
okie

follow the money see who makes a offer to buy the CB

7/15/22, 12:38 AM   #37
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCore View Post
Kyle said it's not as big of an event anymore.
The denial on this subject is unbelievable!

The Chili Bowl isn’t as big of an event?

How many cars are showing up for midget speed weeks?

How many PURPOSE BUILT cars are entered for speed weeks? How many rental rides are being offered? There are 340 participants willing to devote an entire week to being in Tulsa Oklahoma in January so that they can SAY they raced at the Chili Bowl. How many come to DuQuoin for the indoor show? Gateway? Speed week?

This kinda talk is delusional.

If Kyle Larson and C Bell want to start up their own big money winter race, then good luck to them! If they think Emmett (and by the way, that’s how you spell his name) is underpaying drivers, then buy the series and pay out a fortune. The racing won’t get any better.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, PIT CART, TNRustler
7/15/22, 9:17 AM   #38
Ray3

I can't believe the people on here that take positions against the racers. For years when the Chili Bowl purse came up in conversation people would say "Until people stop going he won't raise the purse." Now some very influential people have stood up and said I'm not going until he raises the purse and everyone is against them. If this was a local Indiana track everyone would be chastising the promoter. The double standards people have is just ridiculous. I applaud Kyle for taking a stand. Takes a lot of character to stand up for what you believe in especially in the face of such scrutiny. He could have easily made a side deal with Hahn for appearance money, took it and nobody would be the wiser. He didn't do that and instead is trying to make it better for everyone.

I also just love how people flat ignore the financial numbers. Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. Hahn is making over $4million in profit and you guys are still against the racers getting a bigger piece of the pie?
Last edited by Ray3; 7/15/22 at 9:31 AM.

9 members like this post: Blitzman, CRA91, Dale, dkdorkboy, miledirt, progressive22, Tom23, TQ97, wobbler
7/15/22, 9:49 AM   #39
wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
All I see there is excuses. The purse is abysmal for the Chili Bowl. He says several times that Bell and Larson don't call him. Only reason Hahn wants them to call is so he can make a side deal with those guys and continue paying everyone else peanuts.

Breakdown:
Entry Fees: $150X394 cars = $59,100
Pit Passes: 394X6 people per car = 2364X$375 (multi day pit pass) = $886,500 this is probably extremely low.

Just in those two revenue sources we are at $945,600.00. By his own admission it costs $1 million. We are almost there and we haven't sold a single ticket yet.

Let say he sells 10,000 tickets for the week. 10,000X$365 (week long ticket) = $4,380,000

So just rough numbers before any sponsorship, no TV rights and no fuel sales....

Total reveunue = $5,325,600.00-$1,000,000(costs) = $4,325,600.00 in NET PROFIT!
Also don't forget to add in the figures for the Tulsa Shootout. I would think that the income for that would be pretty substantial with less expenditure with very little paid out to competitors but a hell of a lot coming in from them. Granted the public attendance is probably not as high as the CB though. It is also quite possible the $1m he quotes covers both of these events as well?

7/15/22, 9:58 AM   #40
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
...Granted the public attendance is probably not as high as the CB though...
Grandstand attendance at The Shootout isn't significant. You can generally sit anywhere you like to watch the Mains. If you're talking about revenue for The Shootout, it's like any micro race, it's all back gate.

I also tend to believe that Emmett's "million dollars" comment was rhetorical. I think he has significantly more than $1,000,000.00 in expenses to put on both events.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.