IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Division II 2.0 turbo midget engines
8/5/15, 1:57 AM   #1
Division II 2.0 turbo midget engines
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Last edited by Wayne Davis; 8/6/15 at 4:26 PM.

5 members like this post: Copperhead, DAD, dirtrack, EBookerFan, RickyBobby
8/5/15, 7:11 AM   #2
Re: Division II 2.0 turbo midget engines
red70racer

Very interesting concept, if we can police the boost I think it's brilliant. (I'm as old as dirt and still think it's a good idea)
I applaud your efforts to think outside the box

8/5/15, 7:17 AM   #3
dirtrack

Wake up DAD, you gots some postin to do!

1 member likes this post: jjones752
8/5/15, 7:34 AM   #4
Unlucky#9

Running solely on factory wastegate spring pressure with a rule that prohibits the use of boost controllers would be a quick and easy way to regulate boost. Just run a vacuum line from the comp housing to the wastegate(easily enforced too). The down side that I can see right now is that most turbocharged cars have a boost controller of sorts from the factory, but it is not necessary for operation. I'm all for this rule as that's what I'm tinkering with in my own street car right now is a turbocharged 2.0L in a 98 eclipse.

8/5/15, 10:42 AM   #5
DAD

Wayne

Good to see that you (using the words of Gene Autry) are back in the saddle again or at least back at your key board.

Technology is a wonderful thing and also a frustrating thing. Things are changing at light speed. Here today gone tomorrow. The age of a motor platform hanging around for 60 years or so is gone with the declining popularity of the V8 Chevy. The other day I took 2 engines over to the core buyer a 350 Chevy truck motor and a 4.6 Ford late model V8. The Chevy fetched $225.00 the Ford brought $40.00 or dirty aluminum price. Recycle is the buzz word. The Echotec and Durotecs are heading down the dirty aluminum slide.

In the wings are the little not necessarily Turbo but "FORCED INDUCTION" 2 liter and smaller engines. They will also be blessed with things like "Direct Injection" of fuel into the combustion chamber AKA Diesel type injection system. This will not lend itself to well to Methanol I would suspect>>> but then with their efficiency we could probably expect 30 or so race laps out of just a couple of gallons of Gasoline or "Kicapoo Joy Juice" that will no doubt be developed for these motors by the petroleum company's.

Now looking into rule enforcement. Street stock is great you can do most of that with visuals>>>Crankcase port for internal inspection>>>Dial gauges for cam lift>>Exhaust manifolds on a turbo is what they are sometime they even incorporate the Turbo into the manifold. But don't rule out Mechanical Supercharging this is another avenue some manufactures have decided to explore.

Mini Sprints and Micro Sprints had the advantage of all of this type of technology for the last 20 or so years I fear that this same technology may soon make these motors not practical for the racer. Midgets need some technology to bring them back into the fore front of open wheel racing and I thing these motors could just fill that need. Mini Sprints are helping the Midgets come back to life. Do not forget that fact and make rules against chain drive. The time will come when whatever platform will show it's worth in racing and the majority of the racers will choose that platform to race with. But ruling out the experimenter and innovators will hinder the development of Division II racing. If some guys hadn't looked at the little Ecotec and Durotec Motors several years ago and said hey these thing have potential this Division II thing would have never materialized.

I got to go to work so lets get into enforcement a little later.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
8/5/15, 5:03 PM   #6
o-84
Banned

I've often wondered why the old mazda wankle's aren't being used/ seems as though I saw somewhere that someone had tried one, but I don't recall what the results were. I know I had a 1970 rx-7 and it ran like a ***** date. just hoping that someone can come up with an economical engine that still gitser done/ I love me some midget racing

8/5/15, 5:25 PM   #7
DAD

Cheating

Some racers feel as if they didn't cheat they could not win. That bunch are generally kind of new to the sport and don't see set up and driving as having much to success. The only thing that will change their minds is experience if they can hold on long enough.

If the engine must remain bone stock and on gasoline with stock parts the ECM is the only place to cheat. If you spend all your time looking for cheater ECM's you will go crazy. Besides the ECM will need to be tweaked to make the engine live in a race car.

If you are after more Hp turn up the boost and or raise the rev limit in the ECM easy to do hard to catch. DAQ Data Acquisition is also coming of age. They actually have a unit that we have installed in out car that allows me to sit in the bleachers and watch my cars oil pres, fuel pres, temp, and RPM on a tablet for around $200.00. Set the max boost and RPM and use DAQ to police the racers. I left out exhaust gas analysis that is another $200.00.

I would not be surprised that USAC did not have a large stock of pop off valves stored down in their basement that could be bought right.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/5/15 at 5:27 PM.

8/5/15, 5:31 PM   #8
TQ29m

And no two of them the same, I know the guy who came up with them, gone now, but they were far from tinker proof! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/5/15, 5:34 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-84 View Post
I've often wondered why the old mazda wankle's aren't being used/ seems as though I saw somewhere that someone had tried one, but I don't recall what the results were. I know I had a 1970 rx-7 and it ran like a ***** date. just hoping that someone can come up with an economical engine that still gitser done/ I love me some midget racing
o

The choice motor>>> when it blows up or needs a freshen up go back to your junk yard or EBAY. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Ford-Fu...25888d&vxp=mtr

Honest Dad himself

8/5/15, 5:45 PM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
And no two of them the same, I know the guy who came up with them, gone now, but they were far from tinker proof! Bob
Bob

In my American Picker collection I have a Wankel lawn mower. Smoked like a freight train but had all kinds of power.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Division II 2.0 turbo midget engines