IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steering Wheel Toss
6/19/20, 11:46 PM   #1
Steering Wheel Toss
Hubie

Quit it!

What is going on with the new trend of throwing steering wheels? Look's like a bunch of spoiled brats. Daddy will no doubt have to buy you a new one. First time I ever remember someone throwing a steering wheel was Mike Mosley after he punched the wall late in the 1983 Indy 500. I was a huge fan, and working for a team. The chief mechanic and Mike didn't get along. The entire operation was imploding. Mosley was frustrated, he would be unceremoniously fired before the season's end.

I know what I am talking about

The new trend of tossing wheels is flat stupid. If nothing else some poor volunteer has to go fetch the darn thing. "Here Sonny, here's your steering wheel, thanks, I really enjoyed trudging thru the mud to get the thing." Maybe if you hadn't bicycled and flipped you wouldn't be so embarrassed. Now pull your pants up and watch the guy you hired fix your toy. Did you throw your video game controller when you were a kid (two years ago?)

Grow up

6/20/20, 8:32 AM   #2
Re: Steering Wheel Toss
Bad Dad 54

HA, throw your steering wheel in the mud you go get it, if I do I'm keeping it

6/20/20, 10:23 AM   #3
MBoersma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
Quit it!

What is going on with the new trend of throwing steering wheels? Look's like a bunch of spoiled brats. Daddy will no doubt have to buy you a new one. First time I ever remember someone throwing a steering wheel was Mike Mosley after he punched the wall late in the 1983 Indy 500. I was a huge fan, and working for a team. The chief mechanic and Mike didn't get along. The entire operation was imploding. Mosley was frustrated, he would be unceremoniously fired before the season's end.

I know what I am talking about

The new trend of tossing wheels is flat stupid. If nothing else some poor volunteer has to go fetch the darn thing. "Here Sonny, here's your steering wheel, thanks, I really enjoyed trudging thru the mud to get the thing." Maybe if you hadn't bicycled and flipped you wouldn't be so embarrassed. Now pull your pants up and watch the guy you hired fix your toy. Did you throw your video game controller when you were a kid (two years ago?)

Grow up
What you've seen may not be what you think it is; keep in mind that a driver inside a midget or sprint car that's been involved in a wreck, upside down or not, can't get out of the car unless the steering wheel is removed, so whether thrown in frustration or simply tossed out to start the process of getting out of the seat - or both - the wheel has got to go.

7 members like this post: captrat, crow, EBookerFan, erich45, reeserx, tirespinner, TQ29m
6/20/20, 1:48 PM   #4
JDK222

In dirt racing throwing the steering wheel out of the car is a signal to the track crew that the driver is OK and they can slow down rushing to the car.

2 members like this post: RockinRy, tirespinner
6/20/20, 7:16 PM   #5
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
In dirt racing throwing the steering wheel out of the car is a signal to the track crew that the driver is OK and they can slow down rushing to the car.
^^^^ This, and in a multi-car deal go to the guy who didn't throw his wheel. I like to see them wheels coming out.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner, TQ29m
6/20/20, 11:04 PM   #6
BigWheel7

Race Count This Year: 2

I know guys in their 40’s throwing controllers thru tv screens.

2 members like this post: racer-x, tirespinner
6/21/20, 1:25 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

With all that going on in the country and this is what's got the panties in a wad?

Lord help us.
Have a nice day, Not bashing, just saying relax.

2 members like this post: crow, erich45
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steering Wheel Toss