IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The day we stop pretending
7/10/23, 4:22 PM   #1
The day we stop pretending
flagboy55

A couple weeks back, the great Kevin Swindell posted a tweet that read “The day we stop pretending the purse is where anybody in racing makes money it will be a good day” That statement drew plenty of comments. I found it very interesting. He laid out expenses vs profit if he won a 10k to win race. By his calculations he would barely break even. There’s plenty of ways to go on this, and I’m sure you, the esteemed members of IOW, will find different paths to debate this but 2 things jumped out at me. First this brings to reality the small team, weekly racers apparently are the ones who the purses are the most important. And secondly you better have sponsors or someone with a very fat wallet bankrolling you if you want to run big time wings. In that thread, I believe I saw McGhee say averaging the year it’s $6500 a night to race a top shelf car. I don’t know what you think but man that’s salty. I just want to thank all the sponsors and teams who keep us entertained spending that kinda dough. Ok Stevensville, you asked for something to chew on, there’s a bone. I just hope I don’t get slandered for bringing it up

7/10/23, 4:24 PM   #2
Re: The day we stop pretending
The Old Coyote

The way to make a small fortune racing is to start with large one.

7/10/23, 4:42 PM   #3
jdull99

agree and sounds on point, but then also: those that follow a point fund have to appreciate when thats paid out? Basically WoO & Allstar top spots only ones that really worth it tho? Wasn't ASCS pretty high a year or two ago and then they lowered that when Lucas left?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/11/23, 2:39 PM   #4
azsprintfan1

I think we all know that racing at the grassroots level is a very expensive hobby. The purse is just there to ease the burden a little. Flip it 180 and I think you could make a similar discussion about track owners and promoters. A break even is a win.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, Pitdad, ROSS, tirespinner, TQ29m
7/11/23, 3:56 PM   #5
NoDramazone2020

It costs money to go fast. Not sure what the real answer is. You cant really ask patrons to pay 50 or 60 bucks at every event to attend, but you can demand more money from the streaming services I guess to help??....

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/11/23, 4:53 PM   #6
EldoraMark

Being old and remembering open wheel trailers hauling the cars. Then it was the small enclosed trailer. Now they have $500,000 to $1,000,000 rigs. And they wonder why it cost so much to race. Glad there is sponsorship out there willing to help out these teams.

7/12/23, 12:31 AM   #7
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Back when it was profitable, the tires lasted for numerous races. With hard tires you need a heavier car, also making it cheaper. With cars less hooked up the engines last much longer. It’s a pretty simple equation that only the poor guys want to go back to. But they aren’t the ones who get to make the decisions.

3 members like this post: jdull99, PIT CART, TQ97
7/12/23, 3:56 AM   #8
Bad Dad 54

Fellow at work asked me if we made any money racing I said Hell yeah, do we make a profit? Hell no See how the prices at the gate has gone up but the purses sure haven't grown that much

4 members like this post: bighd0522, LUCKYONE, PIT CART, tirespinner
7/12/23, 3:22 PM   #9
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
Being old and remembering open wheel trailers hauling the cars. Then it was the small enclosed trailer. Now they have $500,000 to $1,000,000 rigs. And they wonder why it cost so much to race. Glad there is sponsorship out there willing to help out these teams.
And there's no reason in the world why most local racers couldn't still have a cheap open trailer pulled by their daily driver pickup truck without sacrificing a single competitive element. I see these half million dollar rigs around here and they never haul the car more than about 20 or 30 miles to the track and back. i've got no problem with these folks spending money on this stuff, but when these same people start complaining about the cost of tires, shocks, etc. and that they can hardly afford to race weekly, I have to question their judgement in how they spend (waste) their money.

4 members like this post: azsprintfan1, EldoraMark, PIT CART, tirespinner
7/12/23, 3:33 PM   #10
azsprintfan1

Look at the fella that gutted the school bus and uses it for a hauler. Burns is his name I think. I agree some teams have way more than they need in haulers / trailers but hey it's America. Gotta keep up with the Jones'.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The day we stop pretending