IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar's Future
12/19/23, 9:38 AM   #41
Re: IndyCar's Future
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
What about the press (it's on many sources, not just the most watched cable news network) that almost 4,000 dealers wrote a letter, that the EVs weren't selling?

I used to figure the only reason the OEMs were all into this change would be to sell another version of their product; but it appears the consumers aren't jumping into these...
I was there. It was boring and uninteresting.

12/19/23, 11:02 AM   #42
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
Innovation and technology are great, when they solve a problem. The automobile displaced the horse and buggy because it was a vastly superior mode of transportation. The current EV push is something entirely different from that. It's much more a latteral move being pushed by a political agenda. If you can't see that, there's not much point in any further discussion.
The cars of today are vastly superior. Much more than the early ones, they evolved with time, trial and air. I am not ready to buy an electric car. We need more time to perfect it, and create better infrastructure. One thing is for sure, eventually we will run out of oil. I would rather have something in place before we do. Rather than pass that problem on to my grand kids.
By the way, none of this has anything to do with IndyCars. They already run on renewable fuel, and have since the Sachs-McDonald crash.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
12/19/23, 11:31 AM   #43
flagboy55

98 is spot on. It’s an agenda. It all depends on who you want to believe. I saw the guy that invented the Internet telling us again, like he did 40 years ago that the ice is going to melt, yada yada yada. I’m even told that the big 3 auto makers are basically government institutions. And I’m pretty sure that old Jed Clampet could go out “shooting for some food” , and with a well aimed shot could still come up with the same result. One of the few virtues of growing old is, if you’re lucky, your sense of smell to 🐂 💩becomes more keen

2 members like this post: jdull99, mtek56
12/19/23, 1:22 PM   #44
BrentTFunk

Some people believe everything is an agenda.

5 members like this post: captrat, Jonr, OnTheHammer, ronmil, TommyTipover
12/19/23, 2:47 PM   #45
TQ29m

And I was there for that crash, not a pretty sight!

12/19/23, 2:54 PM   #46
sprintracer82

I wouldn't hang your hat on the idea that electric cars and trucks is the future. Working alongside the automotive industry for the last 26 years, they are reeling back production. At my day job, we produced a bunch of stuff for the electric mustang. We knew it was coming years in advance. They have since killed all progress on that. Same with the lightning pickup truck. As well, a friend was a higher up in Ford and the uaw, and Ford is beginning to scale back or cancel all future all electric projects. It will be a narrow niche market, but the way things are trending right now, alternative fuels and hybrid ice/electric cars is where is heading.
Nick Landon

1 member likes this post: jdull99
12/19/23, 3:08 PM   #47
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I am glad some of you weren't around when the automobile was invented. We would all be riding horses.
They would have been arguing about a new design of a horseshoe versus the old ones.

12/19/23, 3:13 PM   #48
Vookie

MAKE NO MISTAKE - INDYCAR NOW FACES AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT

https://www.the-race.com/indycar/ind...ential-threat/

12/19/23, 5:44 PM   #49
TQ29m

Refresh my memory, did the Prius even have a charging port, and didn't they charge when you used the brake, seems like some folks found that system to work for them, I still see one in the grocery parking lot, I knew a few people who had one, and about that many who rebuilt batteries for them, but no one ever tried to use one to pull their race car to the race truck with one, or even go very far to watch a race
JMHO

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
12/19/23, 6:39 PM   #50
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Now, everyone should know, there IS at least one rear-engine open wheel class; that was developed to model this exact form of MOTOR racing; and they have done kinda well...they started off where the batteries wouldn't last the entire race, so they switched cars mid-way. It's come a long ways and they have OEM and plenty of teams and good drivers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_E (PS - I think I read somewhere - NOT on the most watched cable news network - that they sneak in fuel powered generators to charge the batteries, but I digress...
I have to say Formula E doesn't do it for me, '99, but I will throw this out there wherein this is the last year for their formula. Next year, if all goes smoothly, they are rolling into hydrogen power.

https://racer.com/2023/12/19/extreme...rogen-testing/

Excerpt: Just one season of Extreme E remains in its current form. The 2024 campaign will be the swansong for the battery-electric Odyssey 21 before its successor, the as-yet-unnamed Extreme H hydrogen fuel cell car, will arrive.

The transition to hydrogen isn’t straightforward. There isn’t a hydrogen-powered motorsport series in existence yet, so while Extreme H has been developing a new car, the series has also been collaborating with the FIA to create new rules and safety standards for hydrogen racing.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar's Future