IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Power
1/8/22, 8:36 PM   #1
Chili Bowl Power
flagboy55

Floracing has a nice little piece on their website with a bunch of Chili Bowl facts. I’ve been wondering if this will be the year an engine other than a Toyota wins the race? The Flo site said the last 14 years only 2 different motors have graced victory lane, the last 7 were Toyota, and Esslinger before that. It seems to me that the Stanton engine may be poised for a win soon. You could say it was in the fastest car on the track last year in Tanner Thorson’s hot rod. There’s still some Esslingers out there and Ethan Mitchell has been getting their Honda going pretty good. Maybe some of you know of some other options to keep an eye on. What’s your thoughts on horsepower in Tulsa?

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jonboat15, nathans1012, oppweld, Pitdad, tirespinner
1/8/22, 9:42 PM   #2
Re: Chili Bowl Power
opnwhlmnd

The Stanton SR-11X is certainly capable of winning the Chili Bowl but it runs better on the larger momentum tracks were it's more equal to the Toyota. The Stanton has won preliminary nights recently. Also no USAC rev limit rule at the Chili Bowl so they can throw a lower gear in to help get thru the center and off the corners. The Toyota can handle a little more RPM than the SR-11X

The Esslinger best shot is with I guess would have to say Cottle, Stevie Sussex, or McCreadie.

J-Mac has a Ford of course with his luck he will have to win many alphabet races on Saturday.

The two drivers that are in the best equipment of their careers and have a real shot are Frank Flud in the Hayward car and Alex Bright in a Reinbold Underwood car. Both Stanton SR-11X. Flud is one of the most underrated dirt racers going.

1/9/22, 1:11 AM   #3
Pitdad

By my count, 111 Esslingers, 52 Toyotas, 52 SR-11xs, 25 SR-11s, 17 Hondas, and the rest are an assortment of Chevys, Ecotecs, Mopars, Fontanas, Gaertes, and unnamed powerplants. There's a couple of SR-11xs that could win it, but I think we're going to see a Toyota on the stage again...

Chassis manufacturers are curious too. 180 Spikes. Who knew there were 180 Spikes? 41 Bullet by Spike, 27 Stealths, 27 Bosses, 24 Rippers, 15 Triple Xs, and 2 Zeros.

1/9/22, 2:52 AM   #4
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
By my count, 111 Esslingers, 52 Toyotas, 52 SR-11xs, 25 SR-11s, 17 Hondas, and the rest are an assortment of Chevys, Ecotecs, Mopars, Fontanas, Gaertes, and unnamed powerplants. There's a couple of SR-11xs that could win it, but I think we're going to see a Toyota on the stage again...

Chassis manufacturers are curious too. 180 Spikes. Who knew there were 180 Spikes? 41 Bullet by Spike, 27 Stealths, 27 Bosses, 24 Rippers, 15 Triple Xs, and 2 Zeros.
Now THOSE are some impressive stats, Dad!

1/9/22, 11:52 AM   #5
flagboy55

I concur Mike, and thanks Pitdad for throwing those into the mix. And Opnwhlmnd, you mentioned JMac with a Ford? That’s the Klatt car correct? Any details on that?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/9/22, 1:25 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Who's chassis are Bondio's?

1/9/22, 2:10 PM   #7
sprintracer82

Andy built both the buggy and his standard looking car. One of these years I need to go so I can see them.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, luckybuc97, PIT CART
1/9/22, 2:46 PM   #8
badcoupe

The klatt car last year had one of the old Chevy engines from the era when smoke owned USAC teams with chev sponsorship.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/9/22, 7:39 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintracer82 View Post
Andy built both the buggy and his standard looking car. One of these years I need to go so I can see them.

Don't they both have BARNE's Engines or something like that?

1/9/22, 10:05 PM   #10
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Don't they both have BARNE's Engines or something like that?
Barnes is a dry sump oil pump manufacturer that is used in several forms of high performance applications.

Many sprint and midget teams use their pumps.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Power