IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
DAD (Offline)
  #181 9/15/11 5:04 PM
Just stirring S$#@ like to keep thing going. On a small track most midgets can't get low enough gear to run at peak. With our chains drive and trany's we can get down to 15 or 16 to 1 and squirt off the turnes.
backitin
  #182 9/15/11 5:59 PM
Theres only three real race cars out there running weekly at least in my universe. Sprintcars, midgets and yes the lowly minisprinter, which with a stock 1400 jap engine weighting maybe 850 lbs or so would be in my opinion maybe the best of the three. By far the least expensive thats for sure, you'd have to be stupid or have the worse luck in the world if you were to break a engine.
Hamby812 (Offline)
  #183 9/16/11 1:51 PM
I kinda wish the MSCS guys would but together A midget series to tour with the sprints. Not as much travel as USAC and generally speakin smaller tracks....set up a few rules to try to cut back some dollars and have at it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #184 9/16/11 2:24 PM
I have followed this thread from the very beginning. After 183 replies and 13,150 views, it is time for action. A lot of great thoughts and ideas that could work if the right person or persons could accumulate the data, put it into a workable foremat and present it to the powers to be at USAC, POWR I, Badger, etc for them to study. All of the posts in the world on IOW won't get this situation resolved. It needs to be presented to the sanctioning bodies for it to have a chance to become reality.

Since it has been stated on this board before, why not approach Harold Hunter, owner of Montpelier Motor Speedway. He is stated to have an interest in hosting weekly midget programs so why not try to get some of these changes in place for 2012 and prove that it can work. Somebody please step forward and make this happen. The world of midget racing is ready for change.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
2 Likes: BrianBSU23, mowerman
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #185 9/16/11 2:43 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
Here are some suggestions that may get a few more people to get cars out on the track. Keep in mind that there are some sacrifices that will have to be made and that "the way it's always been done" needs to go by the wayside if we want to go in a positive direction.

CHANGE THE PURSE STRUCTURE: I went to the POWRi web site and downloaded the current purse structure and modified it. The total purse currently is $8355. I bumped that up a little to $8400 for my figures.

1. 1100 2. 800 3. 525 4. 450 5. 400 6. 325 7-21. 300

TIRES. Eliminate all tire deals. If there is an American Racer tire (as explained on here by another person) that will last most of the season and still be capable of winning races, adopt that tire as mandatory. Policing this would involve a little tweeking but this is a must. And any other rule that will neutralize the engine power. Reducing the width and size of the rear tires is a possiblity also.

ENGINES. Two years ago we heard of using a $10,000-12,000 engine for USAC national races. I'm sure that this will not go over big with the well funded teams and some drivers but these cheap engines need to be mandated ASAP. Allow the 1000 mini to compete.

WEIGHT RULE. Develop a weight rule that will neutralize driver weight.

SELF STARTERS. There probably is not a promoter in the US that would not welcome this rule. I know many of you will disagree with this but it really needs to happen.

FEATURE STARTING POSITION. Take a close look at the ARDC rules regarding starting positions in the feature. For example, if you won the previous race, your starting position would be no better than say 14th position. This would certainly make it more interesting for the fans and would give a host of drivers a chance to win. It must be working in ARDC, they have tons of cars that show up for every race and they have plenty of different winners. A chance to win for a team that may not always start up front. So, if you finished in the top 5 this week, next week you're going to the middle or near the back for the next race.

WHAT DO WE DO WITH CURRENT ENGINES. ( BTW, I have four of them ) That would be easy. Keep running them but mandating a ton of weight to carry around the track is a possibility. Just one of many possibilities.
I posted this earlier. Not saying this is a perfect formula, but it's something to work from.
2 Likes: DAD, team3521
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #186 9/16/11 3:17 PM
On the West Coast the Promoters/Sanctions out here agree some thing needs to be done , but no one wants to be the first to do it , I have only talked to a couple of the Indy area groups but they share the same concerns

I will stand at the front of the line to kick the door down LOLLL !!! of Promoters/Sanctions , but how many are willing to stand in line & help lead the charge ?

I posted this in the Midget Motors thread & I would add a alternate to Don Moore's tire rule , 10" LR Wheel 12" RR Wheel Open Tire rule , you start the Main Event on the RR Tire you Qualify or run the Heat race on

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52996

Re: Midget Motors

My first shot across the Bow is ....................

Start with the current USAC # 1050 & engine rules so you do not obsolete current equipment & let stock production car head & block engines 2.5 liter max run @ 1000 # like the Volkswagen is allowed

Lightning Sprint Chassis chain drive 1200 cc stock engine or 1000 cc with allowing one to modify which will yield about 200 Rear Wheel HP.
By my rough calculations this car should weigh about 850# to be competitive with a USAC Midget

Allow the Esslinger/RRE etc. spec engines in at a weight in between that makes them competitive also

This will allow for some innovation & give peeps a option of what they can afford, back yard engineer, buy used equipment or buy parts off the shelf

Then throw the Green Flag & Let Er Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DAD (Offline)
  #187 9/16/11 3:33 PM
Sounds good to me we have room to grow mini sprint motors and get them more HP and still stay pretty stock. Im pretty sure I can put a fire-breather together for under $5000.00. All they have to do is get a rule book like yours 2 page maximum.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

850 lbs is a little light for a full size driver in a mini sprint. Japan has also developed some 1400 cc motor in the last few years that are a little low in rpm's but have gobs of torque. They eat the 1000 cc motor up on the drag strip. All cheater minisprinters have at least one back in the barn.
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #188 9/16/11 3:52 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Sounds good to me we have room to grow mini sprint motors and get them more HP and still stay pretty stock. Im pretty sure I can put a fire-breather together for under $5000.00. All they have to do is get a rule book like yours 2 page maximum.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

850 lbs is a little light for a full size driver in a mini sprint. Japan has also developed some 1400 cc motor in the last few years that are a little low in rpm's but have gobs of torque. They eat the 1000 cc motor up on the drag strip. All cheater minisprinters have at least one back in the barn.
We can adjust this with some on track testing , but we need some numbers on who would be willing to show up under the various rules that have been proposed

Cuz that is gonna be the first ? outta the Promoters/Sanctions mouth LOLLLL !!!!!!
DAD (Offline)
  #189 9/16/11 4:31 PM
Ck with Bill May about tomorrow and next week at 35. He seems to be wide open and the guy at Mtpelier is also.
Revolution Racing (Offline)
  #190 9/16/11 4:33 PM
I do hope that the guys on 16th St are reading this. I think its encouraging to see this much cooperation and positive input. so just in case those guys ARE reading.....

HEY KEVIN! MY NUMBER IS 805-238-3930. CALL ME!
Closed Thread