IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Racing - Limit RwHP ????
9/21/16, 4:54 PM   #1
Midget Racing - Limit RwHP ????
TJ Domark

With so many clubs talking about D2 motor initiatives or air intake restrictors or even RPM limiting which we seen USAC do a few years back makes me wonder why we just don’t set a RWHP ( rear wheel hp ) limit and be done with all this once and for all ?

This is not rocket science nor does it have to be… As of 9/21/2016 there’s currently chassis dynos for midgets in IL, Indiana, Southern Illinois etc. and for conversation purpose, if the RWHP was set at 300HP ( example ) with a 5% tolerance = 315hp than anything above 315rwhp is illegal
At least with a RWHP limitations we can end the discussions about OMG! Another $40K motor blah blah blah or I cant compete because I can’t afford a new motor!

By setting the RWHP limit across the board we can do away with intake restrictors or mfg restrictions etc across the board and if Johnny Money Bags wants to spend $40k, 50K or $100k by all means let him do it – it’s his money anyways right! As long as he doesn’t exceed the RWHP limit

I already know the next question: How are you going to police this? Right!

Please keep in mind, nothing is perfect but the “thought” of how to police this works a lot better at the club level than an organization that travels a lot like USAC

For the local clubs:
Designate an “Official Dyno” in your area that is exclusive to your organization for testing. Make the protest fee something very economical IE: $100 - $200 dollars, In the event that a protest if filed at the end of a feature the car is than loaded up in an officials trailer. A brand new set of lock and keys are open with the locks being placed on the trailer and the keys given to the owners. You all meet at the chassis dyno the next morning after the race, the $100 or $200 is given to the chassis dyno shop. The car is warmed up to 180 degrees and 2 consecutive pulls are done and if the AVG # exceeds the set rwhp limit than the motor is illegal. No if/and or buts…. It’s a set rule and the same for everyone NO EXCEPTIONS not even a change in weather. That’s why there’s a 5% tolerance already given. If you choose to play that close to the edge than you ASSUME the RISK of going over! PERIOD

This is a no brainer guys and ends all the Bullsh*t about motors and puts the Race back into Racing and at $100 - $200 protest fee, it makes it cheap enough to keep everyone honest.

I don’t claim to have all the answer(s) but I thought I would toss out something new to talk about and If I’m missing something by all means please share your feelings – I figured for the sake of midget racing this might be an area we have not explored that could help solve many issues.

4 members like this post: jdull99, LJC77, racenut69, sjracer26
9/21/16, 5:49 PM   #2
Therealether

Spoken like someone who may know a thing or two about midget racing! Kudos, sir

9/21/16, 6:01 PM   #3
Re: Midget Racing - Limit RwHP ????
chop

So it would go like this? Sorry boss, I can not come to work today. Sorry Jimmy I can not go to your baseball game today, I have to go back to the track. Ride with three other guys to some other place. Wait around to have my car dyno'ed. Other option, if I am in a close points race with another guy. Spend $100 bucks on a Friday night race to keep his car locked up and miss the sat night race. Now I have to take my money saving midget engine to a place, play with it on a dyno to get right at 300HP. Sounds like I should just get a sprint car and race all over the place with no pain in the butt.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, Jim Gardner, PIT CART
9/21/16, 7:16 PM   #4
TQ29m

I like it, funniest thing I've heard all day, almost all theories have a response time, I think this one has yet to be believed, by anyone who owns a race car of any kind, it really is unbelievable! Really, you are kidding, right! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/21/16 at 7:17 PM.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
9/21/16, 8:30 PM   #5
double checkered

I think it would be too easy to flick a switch and put your hellcat on valet mode when it's time to dyno.

Jeremy

9/21/16, 9:52 PM   #6
LJC77

For the club at Grundy it would be extremely easy to do.
A chassis dyno is 20 min away from the track at T-1.
He would gladly work with the club and offer services that night.
My only concern is the EFI cars getting detuned in transit.
Not familiar enough to know how to police that part of it.

But I do like your idea TJ, not because I'm in the middle of this mess, but I'm tired of the crying going on, none of it is good for the sport we love as it teeters on a thin foundation.
I know there is roughly 30 race ready cars within 2 hours of Grundy and we need to find a way to work together to save our sport.

2 members like this post: gearguy, jdull99
9/21/16, 9:57 PM   #7
LJC77

Usually you do a set of three pulls on a chassis dyno

9/21/16, 10:03 PM   #8
brew96mm

Cost and even competitiveness are directly tied to a traction vs horsepower equation. What the initial post proposes is the exact OPPOSITE of what needs to happen. We need more horsepower than traction and that will bring the cost down, minimize tech, and in theory close the gap among cars!

Whatever you do, please don't limit horsepower! If there is more available traction than power for a resulting lack of tire spin, then EVERY HORSEPOWER MATTERS and that is what gets expensive!

2 members like this post: Jim Gardner, PIT CART
9/22/16, 12:14 AM   #9
Irk11

The new class of IRA wingless crate sprint cars are doing this. As fast as that series has grown in 2 short years, I'm guessing racers like it! No joke!

9/22/16, 9:21 PM   #10
badcoupe

Super sport bike classes dyno at the track very good deal. Dyno and seal motor and USB port if efi equipped

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Racing - Limit RwHP ????