IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville
7/4/19, 3:13 AM   #1
Knoxville
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Why the early start time??? That's annoying. I thought this was supposed to be a throwback to the old days. Starting early is bad for track conditions. I started going there in 1979. Hot laps started when the sun was low enough in the sky. There was no set time. I'm just hoping for this to go over well and I know for a fact that all the locals expect hot laps at 6:45pm not 6:15. Why start early in July when its hot outside? Plus, only 2 classes instead of 3. Come on Knoxville. Give the non-wing cars a legit chance. Prepare the track right, and start at the usual time. Sure seems to me that there is some local push back to not get upstaged by the superior non-wing racing. Race director John Mc Coy and board member Mike Brooks are old school non-wing drivers that should know better. If they want non-wing cars to go over well they need to be all in! And Next year they should make this a points race for the weekly drivers. I think it's ridiculous they have their weekly show along with this event. These guys need to grow a pair and maybe check out Bobby Marshall's Facebook page and see when outlaws were real men. Oh well, hoping for an old school night at Knoxville when the track wreaked of manure. We'll see. 49 entries is damn good.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/4/19, 7:00 AM   #2
Hamby454

Instead of bashing a place for starting 30 minutes earlier maybe you should appreciate the fact they are hosting a high paying event for traditional sprint cars. I understand your concern to a certain extent but to bash the track prior to the event is shameful. There should be nothing but praise going to Knoxville, usac, and war for allowing such an event to take place for non wing cars. We don’t have a lot of crown jewel events that pay what they should and this is definitely a step in the right direction. With good crowd and driver support it will only get bigger. Appreciate what you are given don’t criticize what you can’t control.

7/4/19, 7:25 AM   #3
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Pre-race complaints about Knoxville Raceway. It's Official, I've heard everything. Somehow i believe this race will be run in an efficient manner with premium quality track conditions. Happy 4th.

7/4/19, 8:56 AM   #4
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Some folks are just never satisfied. We are heading out later today. It’s my first visit to the sprint car capital of the world and we don’t care what time they start, we will be there and be happy!! Safe travels to everyone.

7/4/19, 9:05 AM   #5
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Some of our Racing Families are en route as we speak.We've been looking forward to this since last year when it was announced.🏁🏁

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

7/4/19, 9:37 AM   #6
flagboy55

I put a post up yesterday with a couple thoughts on this event on the thread about questions on Corn Belt. I figured it would bring the thread back to the top but didn’t, oh well. Just a short recap Casey Shuman posted in that thread that it could be a one shot deal. I’m of the belief that this is very necessary for wingless sprint cars and I hope it’s a huge success. I’m disappointed that a couple other sanctions aren’t in on it, but I don’t want to debate that now. Having never been to the Sprint Car Capital of the World, this event has taken away my excuses for not going. Very much looking forward to it and will going west bright and early tomorrow. Looking forward to perhaps meeting a couple more of you and finally stepping foot on hallowed ground. My buddy Oppweld and myself will be there setting everyone straight about racing, music, and beer To everyone that’s not going to make it, I wish you all a fun and safe weekend. Happy Independence Day!

7/4/19, 10:16 AM   #7
Re: Knoxville
BrentTFunk

Leaving in the morning. I have a motel room for Friday in Knoxville, if anyone needs one. PM me if interested. Dr wasn't crazy about me going, but its $20,000 to win. See you guys there.

7/4/19, 11:03 AM   #8
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Some of our Racing Families are en route as we speak.We've been looking forward to this since last year when it was announced.🏁🏁
Looking forward to seeing you guys. Let have fun and enjoy all the great things that we all love. God bless America. Thanks

7/4/19, 11:08 AM   #9
Kirk Spridgeon

“Engine warm-ups” are at 6:15. That is engine heat. Hot Laps start at 6:45.

7/4/19, 11:11 AM   #10
dsc1600

Hahaha, it’s as if there are 10 of these shows for non-winged sprints the way some people are complaining.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, captrat, flagboy55, Jbaldwin, Stephen Cording
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville