IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes
10/26/16, 8:54 PM   #11
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
the visitor

Here we go with all the speculation !!!!!!!!!!!!

2 members like this post: fish, tirespinner
10/26/16, 9:02 PM   #12
LEADERS EDGE

Since Don brought it up......although I have never personally seen it....does anyone on here have an example where a right side arm guard, left side arm guard, head nets, containment seat,head supports, or top wing have caused a driver further injury due to the inability to get them out of the car? Unconscious drivers are normally taken out through the top of the cage in order to stabilize them when extracted. In the instances I have personally seen....which I am not implying it's in all situations......the time consuming portion of getting a driver out is the stabilization part....not Getting to them inside of the car. Body panels like these have been widely used for roughly 10 plus years.

I would be interested in reading real life examples rather then speculation based on personal preference.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 10/26/16 at 9:26 PM.

10/26/16, 9:09 PM   #13
LEADERS EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I totally agree. The cars are way too fast. Race fans come to see great competition, not speed. It's time to say goodbye to the way too expensive exotic engines.
Based on what facts? What is the data to back this up? You are just presenting your opinions without real data.
Why are the highest drawing form of dirt open wheel race cars also the fastest? I don't think it's a coincidence that the WoO are the fastest and most popular.

The Chili Bowl has 900 less cars than the Shootout, most Shootout cars featuring various motors in the vein you feel is the direction of the sport, but the crowds are much higher for the Chili Bowl.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 10/26/16 at 9:50 PM.

6 members like this post: bcataldi, Eagle14, fish, LRP36, opnwhlmnd, Racer1039
10/26/16, 9:24 PM   #14
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Obviously this will be some safety feature added and we don't need to speculate what that will be. However this sounds like something coming directly as a result of Bryan's accident (and likely other similar accidents).

This is just my opinion, and I have nothing to back it up, but it seems the most devastating accidents are when a car comes to rest and another car comes in and strikes the first car. Maybe they have learned something to help protect the driver in that situation? Whatever it is I hope its something that works as I don't want any drivers hurt or worse ever again.

10/26/16, 10:13 PM   #15
racer5c

I'd say the answer to that is there are more big name drivers at the Chili Bowl

2 members like this post: jim goerge, lukesmith
10/26/16, 10:14 PM   #16
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Based on what facts? What is the data to back this up? You are just presenting your opinions without real data.
Why are the highest drawing form of dirt open wheel race cars also the fastest? I don't think it's a coincidence that the WoO are the fastest and most popular.

The Chili Bowl has 900 less cars than the Shootout, most Shootout cars featuring various motors in the vein you feel is the direction of the sport, but the crowds are much higher for the Chili Bowl.
how many big name drivers are at the Shootout? that might have something to do with it

1 member likes this post: Racer1039
10/26/16, 11:39 PM   #17
bcataldi

The format necessary to run 1000 entries through in a week is why it doesnt draw the crowds..multiple classes..8am to 11pm is not exactly crowd friendly...they get a great crowd come the mains generally. Kevin swindell..this year chris bell...many big names have spent time at the shooter.

The format of the chili bowl ..and yes the fighter jet in a gymnasium too much hp for car..the size of track and style of racing it breeds..the level of competition and names..the time of year..the building..all are what makes it exciting and draw the crowd it does.

The panels..i dont buy the argument don puts forward. Fire may be a different story but not extracation by safety teams.

As for the safety guidelines..i assume this will be around halos and helmet to cage clearances..we are all in process of building cars now for CB. Hope we get that guidance soon. And i echo a mandate is no good without enforcement. Without that, guidance is all it is.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
10/27/16, 12:17 AM   #18
DonMoore10

The topic of body panels was discussed on Facebook many weeks ago. One of the posters in this thread seems to show up with a negative agenda within seconds when I post. After the Facebook discussion I personally interviewed some EMS workers about the body panels. When I'm talking body panels, I am not referring to the right side arm guard which has been in place for many, many years nor am I referring to the sun panel across the front. I am talking about recently allowed body panels that leave a peep hole on each side of the cockpit.

Now some midget owner or owners with too much money in their pockets took a midget to a wind tunnel and found that they could experience less drag on the midget with the paneling. I know this as a fact as I was told by a very famous driver that drove for me a few years that this is how it came about.

Now back to the EMS workers. I interviewed several and pointed out several cars to them that had the paneling. I asked them if they had to rescue a driver would the paneling be a time consuming obstruction to remove and they all agreed it would be. Furthermore, I asked them if they carried screw drivers and side cutters to remove the panels and the answer was no.

So for my cars, you will never see the paneling which is now on almost every USAC and POWRI car. My number one concern as a car owner is to present safe friendly cockpit confines within reason. And yes, to the poster who shows up within seconds of my posting, the arm guard stays and the sun panel stays, thank you. If all the other car owners, USAC and POWRI feel comfortable with paneling that leaves a peep hole on each side, then so be it. Their cockpits are now successfully blocked on both sides and if there is a muffler guard, it would be three sides and with the body tubing behind that cockpit that is now four sides and if after a crash the top is blocked then all of you are rolling the dice getting a driver out quickly.

2 members like this post: Can26, jdull99
10/27/16, 7:23 AM   #19
chastaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Not likely, to put their stamp on it, or a decal, would indicate to a lawyer, this item has been checked and certified "safe", if that's a word anymore, so being one's not to lay claim to anything that could implicate them, or your local track for that matter, don't look for anymore than we have now, I think the thought has returned, if this guy wants to drive what he just unloaded, it's his, it's his neck, he surely wouldn't get in it if it wasn't as safe and the best he could make it. JMHO! Bob
FYI, USAC does indeed put a tech sticker on the frame of the car after it is inspected, and you don't hit the track till you got it

6 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, Kellen Conover, lukesmith, Mattmac05, TQ97
10/27/16, 7:57 AM   #20
Backitin

Why not bubble wrap driver and car and draw pills to determine the winner. Pretty sure that will be safer.
Of course once someone gets a bubble wrap injury it will all be rethought and reengineered with the help of our friendly caring lawyer buddies.
If you don't like the thought of maybe getting killed or worse racing don't race, if you cant handle the thought of it happening to someone else don't watch or be involved.
Eventually the way things are going all racing will be done with remote control cars. Everyone knows racing is too dangerous all you have to do is read half the posts on this site to come up with that conclusion. Whats the difference if the drivers in the car or sitting in a booth with a remote in there hand, especially with todays cars the driver is hardly noticeable anyhow and in a lot of racing the driver is secondary to the cars performance anyhow.

3 members like this post: Peterman, sprintracer82, the visitor
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes