IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lack of cars on pavement
8/13/16, 11:34 PM   #31
PushEm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick View Post
USAC pavement racing was dead for several years after the last economic recession in the early 1980's. It took Thursday Night Thunder and a commitment from USAC as well as the owners to get it going again. Seems like it will take the same forward thinking to do it now.
You are exactly correct. My father was the Chief Steward of the midgets then and tech inspector for the Sprints and Crown cars. USAC had to guarantee a certain number of cars per race to keep TNT and Open Wheel Wednesday on the air. The owners were heavily involved and pulled some big time sponsors for it. It was very tough to keep it up for everyone. It was shortly after this time when certain owners made dedicated pavement and dirt cars and the cost difference started to show. A lot of the smaller budget teams couldn't afford the dedicated pavement cars to stay competitive. Guys like Eric Gordon, and Robbie Stanley who were masters of the pavement really helped keep it going as long as it did. I would love to see it back to its glory days but without some work from all ends it won't happen over night.

Just my 2 cents and some things I remember from conversations with my dad.

8/14/16, 12:13 AM   #32
DFX500

Which people? If you look at NASCAR, Indy car (The Indy 500 sells the most tickets of any race in the world) and Formula 1, all pavement races, have huge audiences compared to USAC. Where are the dirt fans? A few more than the pavement races but not enough to pay a decent purse. In today's dollars the Hulman Classic paid 38,000.00 to win and 3300.00 to start in 1979. The purses are way too low when you look at it in this context. That's why car counts arei low.
Last edited by DFX500; 8/14/16 at 12:16 AM.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, NickBohanonMotorsports
8/14/16, 12:15 AM   #33
DFX500

That would be a start. In today's dollars 2000 to start is nothin special.

1 member likes this post: Hubie
8/14/16, 12:21 AM   #34
Pavement Dave

I thought USAC has done a decent job so far with the Silver Crown series on pavement in 2016. They had 18 and 17 cars at the two races at Lucas Oil.
The problem here tonight was the track. Guys don't wanna run Salem and WInchester with SIlver Crown cars.
I figured there would be a dozen cars but missed it by one. If they decide to try it again next year it will be the same but maybe a car or two less.
Does anybody remember the outcome of the last visit there in 1988? They had 12 cars and cut the laps from 100 to 50. nothing has changed in 28 years.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hubie, opnwhlmnd, team3521, tirespinner
8/14/16, 1:14 AM   #35
cleatziff

Could the weather have played a role in car count?

3 members like this post: jim goerge, team3521, tirespinner
8/14/16, 8:42 AM   #36
xoxide

The only thing pavement is good for is getting to the dirt track.

3 members like this post: Backitin, cj02, jim goerge
8/14/16, 9:02 AM   #37
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by usac99 View Post
Kevin Miller killed pavement sprint cars and midgets,so why not pavement silver crown?
First I believe he killed sprints, then midgets, now it's SC. Without doing a damn thing!
He saw it coming! Any idiot saw it coming. That is total lack of leadership! IMO!

4 members like this post: Hubie, RACEMS41, streetglider, tirespinner
8/14/16, 9:12 AM   #38
Re: Lack of cars on pavement
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Usac has done a fantastic job of rebuilding their Silver Crown program on dirt, but for some reason it is not working with the pavement.I know you used to have two cars. One for pavement and one for dirt. If this is still the case their is the problem.Same car on both dirt and pavement. End of story. Same car runs at Springfield runs at Salem.I remember many back to back races at Eldora and New Bremen. It is not that difficult.Minor adjustments and you are ready.If someone else has a better explanation for this please post.
Folks,

We ran SC in 2014 and absolutely loved it. We ran dirt only for a variety of reasons, which are outlined below:

1). Licensing - At the time (as memory serves) there was a "Dirt Only" license which offered a small discount. It wasn't much but every dollar counts.

2). Not only are different tires required between dirt and pavement but different front wheels and different right front hubs are required due to the additional load the RF experiences on pavement. While we could have used pavement RF hubs on the dirt, we used what we had, which is direct mount sprint hubs.

3). On dirt you can get away with the standard sprint car brake system, with minor changes. On pavement the brake system needs to be more robust due to the additional braking necessary.

These are only a few of the items that differentiate dirt from pavement racing. While USAC could change the rules to mandate using the same "car" for both, rule interpretation and enforcement would be, in my opinion, next to impossible. First, we have to define "the car". Is that only the chassis, or does it include the rear end/driveline/front axle/right side vs left side steering, brake system, .... As you see this can be daunting. And please understand, many of the differences between the pavement and dirt cars are derived from safety concerns due to the different loads the cars experience between the two.

So this is why we decided on dirt only and I believe there are others who are in our same boat, from an expense standpoint. While we sold our car this year I am contemplating getting back into it. If I do, I'm seriously contemplating equipping ourselves for both surfaces just to help bolster the car counts in an effort to get and keep SC healthy.

Tim Simmons

8/14/16, 9:59 AM   #39
Re: Lack of cars on pavement
Backitin

Um,
pavement aint nearly as fun, destroys tires and engines.
Hmmm where am I going race maybe dirt with having to go sideways and slide jobs and a real chance at passing slower cars or the pretty much fall in line don't get sideways of the asphalt car, hit all your braking marks type stuff. Yuk. Around here we always thought the pavement guys just don't like to get they're cars dirty.

2 members like this post: Hubie, jim goerge
8/14/16, 11:03 AM   #40
DFX500

I agree that they, Andy Hillenburg, are doing as much as they can given the lack of fan interest and therefore money flowing to the promotors from ticket sales. The big question I think is how do you attract the money to make it viable?
Last edited by DFX500; 8/14/16 at 11:08 AM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tubemaster
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lack of cars on pavement