IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!
6/30/10, 9:44 AM   #11
Re: Novel Idea!
Dave Argabright

I appreciate all the friends I've made through the sport, including Mud Packer, who always brightens my day when our paths cross at the race track.

3 members like this post: Mud Packer, speed bump, team3521
6/30/10, 10:05 AM   #12
1BIGracefan

I enjoy the fact that my girls love going to the race track just as much or more than I do. I also enjoy the fact the hospitality of the teams/fans out there.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/30/10, 10:07 AM   #13
Jack Dupp

I appreciate the Illinois and Missouri promoters who book sprint and midget shows.

Especially in the St Louis area which is heavily into "taxi cab" racing.

2 members like this post: illiNOISE, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 10:10 AM   #14
Jerry Shaw

I couldn't narrow it down to just one. So, I'm just listing all the things that tied for first:

I'm thankful to the track operators and race team owners, for taking the financial risk and for working countless hours, in order to bring us these beautiful racing facilities and magnificent racing machines. They are the ones who truly make this sport possible.

I'm thankful to the drivers, who risk their life and health in order to entertain all those like me. Their skill and competitive fire is why to know this sport, is to love it.

I'm thankful for my fellow race fans, most of which will go to the ends of the Earth to follow and support open wheel racing. They are the audience that these stars play to, so as much as anything, they shape the character of this sport.

I'm thankful for guys like Bill Gardner, who have dedicated themselves to give race fans, teams and drivers a place to go to share their love for this sport.

And I'm thankful to God for putting me right here in the middle of it all. Smack dab in the center of racing's Land of Milk and Honey.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/30/10 at 10:41 AM.

6/30/10, 10:17 AM   #15
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I love the sound, smell, taste and feel of racing. No other sport excites all the senses like dirt track racing.

I think Jerry nailed it!
Last edited by davidm; 6/30/10 at 10:32 AM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 10:30 AM   #16
PJ Wright

Jerry said it better than I could. Well all except the last part. God put ME in the land of NASCAR. But it's all good because this is where I met my wife and besides, I am thankful for the freedom to TRAVEL to Indiana!

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/30/10, 10:42 AM   #17
cmakin

I can't think of a better way to spend an evening than at a race track, camera in hand. Like anywhere, you will meet people you like and don't like, but I have to say the scale tips a lot further to the "like" side with the folks that I meet and have known in the racing community. I may complain about the lack of sprint cars down my way, but that doesn't keep me from shooting, writing about and helping to promote other divisions down here. It IS all about the racing and it is ALL good. I don't play golf, I don't fish, I don't watch football, baseball, basketball or hockey. Heck, I don't even watch much racing in TV. There is nothing better than going down to the local track and taking part, even if it is just watching from the stands.

6 members like this post: I Miss Manzy, IndyBound, jim goerge, Mud Packer, VSneader2
6/30/10, 12:12 PM   #18
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by throb View Post
the smell, the speed and the colors!
The smell of the burning methanol as I approach the track from the parking lot always makes me walk that much faster. My wife always bugs me to slow down, but that smell takes me back to my chidhood and the great memories of going to the races with my dad.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Jimmydiesel, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 12:16 PM   #19
cmiracingvids

Always will be the smell and the sound. There's nothing better than hearing a sprinter idling around and then gunning it to light up the tires. And methanol burning out of a 410 sprint car engine is probably the best smell on earth.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 12:28 PM   #20
IndyBound

Most of all I appreciate my Dad for introducing me to the sport of open wheel racing at a young age, the many friendships that have lasted for 50 plus year and the new friends I make every year in the racing community.

The racing will always be a part of my live and we are now teaching the fourth generation to love the sport as much as their parents, grandparents and great grandfather did before them.

Most racers are a tight knit group, willing to help each other in time of need and celebrate their peers accomplishments in time of victory.

There is nothing like the smell, sounds and action of open wheel racing, since moving west the anticipation of openng day after a long winter seems to have dwindled for me, But that is not a bad thing it means no long winter break, we stop racing in Nov., have special shows in Jan., Feb. and by March are headed back to weekly racing.

Over the years I have learned to respect all competitors whether they are favorites of mine or not; they are all making scarifices to entertain us.

Friendships, travel and watching my favorite type of race cars -Supermodifieds, USAC Silver Crown, Sprints, Midgets or IRL nothing beats it!

Patti

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Jimmydiesel, Mud Packer, racegal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!