IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquoin weekend
8/24/18, 8:00 PM   #1
Duquoin weekend
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Heading to duquoin next weekend anything else going on in southern Illinois Friday or Saturday thanks.

2 members like this post: ISF, tirespinner
8/24/18, 8:25 PM   #2
Re: Duquoin weekend

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Usac sprints are at Tri city Speedway in granite city ill Friday and I55 in Pevely mo. Saturday.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, jim goerge, luckybuc97, racenut69, Simon_says17
8/25/18, 7:32 AM   #3
miledirt

Like the other poster said, USAC sprints at Granite City, Il on Friday night

Pevely, Mo is less than 2 hours from DuQuoin... and is high banked 3/8 mile with the USAC sprints, should be a great show and then champ cars for practice that next afternoon at DuQuoin - great weekend

5 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
8/25/18, 11:23 AM   #4
ISF

#1jackhewittfan, if possible do the USAC trifecta. The Gundaker's run a very nice facility and a very racy track should provide some very, very good wingless sprint car racing. Personally, I've never been to Federated Auto Parts Speedway in Pevely, MO but I've yet to hear anything disparaging about the place from anyone who has been there. I too will be making my first trip to Pevely for the USAC sprint cars with high anticipation.

And what can be said about the utterly beautiful Magic Mile at the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds that hasn't already been said. Rest assured The Magic Mile is all it's cracked up to be and more. If the Horn Memorial is just half as exciting and entertaining as the Bettenhausen Memorial was 2 weeks prior it'll be one to remember. Since the Horn is a night show I've got a feeling the boys might build a cushion to lay the right rear on like Korey Weyant did at Springfield that could last the whole 100 miles reminiscent of the Horn Memorial a couple of years ago between Kody, Shane Cockrum and Aaron Pierce. Watching those cars run right up next to the wall on a mile is something you won't soon forget, if ever!!

One piece of advise for any first time attendee of The Horn Memorial. Get to the track early enough and spend a few bucks more and purchase a pit pass. It's worth every penny! Walk over to the northeast corner area of the infield and watch the boys bend those beautiful Silver Crown cars into turn #3 at around 150 mph! If that doesn't get your heart rate up then you prolly need to see a competent cardiologist! LOL!

If you by chance have some extra time during the day on Sunday before the racing activities begin at the fairgrounds take an hour or so and go uptown Du Quoin to the St. Nicholas Brewery for a great lunch and a craft beer or two that is brewed on site. SNB is in the old St. Nicholas Hotel building. This hotel is where the legendary drivers back in the '50's, '60's and '70's stayed while they were in Du Quoin for the Horn Memorial. I've heard from folks that were there in those days that if the walls of that old hotel building could talk............

Oh, and one more thing, it appears that Mr. Hewitt is one of your favorites. You'll find Jack at the #21 Silver Crown car pit area! If you come and say hello to Mr. Hewitt you'll prolly see us there, too.

Safe travels and have fun!!
Last edited by ISF; 8/25/18 at 11:26 AM.

8/28/18, 10:54 AM   #5
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have to work Friday so granite city is out so I'm thinking gas city Friday pevely Saturday duquoin sunday.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquoin weekend