IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
namgalf (Offline)
  #151 7/4/13 7:36 PM
Tuesday nights at the old Amvets fairgrounds track in Danville, Ill. Ran supermodifieds, fenderbenders, and amateurs (coupes). Fenderbenders (bombers now) would all line up at the exit of the pits just off of turn 2 and race to the start line for their starting positions. 3 abreast standing start. Don't know how many times the pit steward nearly got run over letting them go. Cannon, Jones, Camfield, Carrigan (my favorite at the time), Henson, too many more to name. Later the Friday night shows at the Champaign County Fairgrounds. One of the scariest wrecks I ever seen was there on the half mile when Doc Lockwood flipped most of the front straight losing his helmet in the process. Also saw a stock car hit the old wood fence coming out of turn 2 and had a plank pierce his leg on the half mile. Remember the lights going out one night then the promoter had vehicles line the inside of the track and shine their headlights outward to provide enough to race with. Oh the days.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, Indy1808
EldoraMark (Offline)
  #152 7/4/13 8:34 PM
According to my wife I have not grown up yet, but when I do I will post my track. Until then you can guess which track!
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, racefan20
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #153 7/5/13 1:48 AM
My first track was Limaland since I was an infant and then about when I was 10 I was going to Waynesfield. Now 5 to 6 years later I'm racing mini sprints at Waynesfield and only go to Limaland on St.Ritas night because its free since my dad works for St.Ritas.
racefan20 (Offline)
  #154 7/5/13 9:16 AM
Originally Posted by EldoraMark:
According to my wife I have not grown up yet, but when I do I will post my track. Until then you can guess which track!
I agree with your wife

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #155 7/5/13 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by EldoraMark:
I know that I am growing older but I REFUSE to grow up!

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
sprntr (Offline)
  #156 7/5/13 11:13 AM
I finally decided what I want to be when I grow-up ... RETIRED!

steiny
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, Mud Packer
speedy20 (Offline)
  #157 7/5/13 12:38 PM
I started going to Lawrenceburg when I was 5. We sat in the same seat until I was 13. My dad became the track announcer and I learned how be the scorer there until I was 18. Started driving late models @ 19. Don't get to use it much, hopefully, get to race there tomorrow nite.
RacinFool (Offline)
  #158 7/5/13 5:42 PM
Oswego speedway!
old time Hoosier (Offline)
  #159 7/5/13 6:24 PM
Originally Posted by sprntr:
I finally decided what I want to be when I grow-up ... RETIRED!

steiny
Retired 'ain't what you think' I've been retired five years now and most of the time I am bored to death and that includes going to several sprint car races and fishing my ass off.
sprintsrule (Offline)
  #160 7/5/13 11:30 PM
Started out at US 24 Speedway, Henry's Speedway, then Kokomo Great memories!

Posted via Mobile Device