IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night Before The 500
5/29/14, 9:47 PM   #101
Re: Night Before The 500
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I said I wasn't going to continue on this but Yeah, Im betting the motor could run all day on half mile tracks.

I also think if F1 can make a tire that will last 3hrs under those conditions, A tire could be made to last a half a dozen races for pavement midget.

I love the midgets on the bull rings, I also love em on the bigger tracks. Nothing like em running five wide on eldora or burg. Its my dream to see em in good numbers on Terre Haute some day.

I dont know if that motor was ever USAC legal, But Chili Bowl had no rule at that point, In fact the video even had the promotor saying that if they dominate, he might have to dial em back.

The fact is that every-time someone comes up with something that will be competitive and long lasting, The current top dogs throw thousands on the table to never let it happen and when they finally do, do something to make the motors last a bit longer (Rev Limiter) Those same top dogs boycott it.

From what I seen is them top motors pretty much dominate the bull rings as well and only one of em seems to be pretty long lasting in any conditions, Don't know what it is, longer strokes or what but the Toyotas don't seem to be stressed out anywhere I've seen em.

KO's Interview with Staab about his midget days, "As soon as you get equipment to match the top teams, Your two years behind."
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/29/14 at 9:56 PM.

1 member likes this post: team3521
5/29/14, 10:47 PM   #102
DAD

Charles

I am not a big believer in purpose built race cars, but on a big track nothing beats a Crown Car. Midgets work great on Bull Rings but a Crown car would have to use reverse to negotiate some of them tight little turns. A midget at Raceway park looks a little squirrley to me. I don't really enjoy them there because to me they are out of their element. Generally on those big old tracks instead of 5 abreast you get an old freight train type race.

Sure they could get tires like Fi and get great life out of them but that would necessitate a FI suspension system and best I can remember they outlawed independent suspension before it could get off the ground. That is probably a good thing because who would want to watch a Mini Indy race unless it is a 1/4 midget little indy race.

Sure these new motors Toyota are powerful. They do it with a really big bore and bigger valves than the competition. Better breathing means more power. But the motor in the car you drive to the race probably breathes almost as good as that $40,000.00 race motor in those expensive little midget cars.

Race cars are supposed to be on the cutting edge of today's technology not on the cutting edge of 40 year old technology. There are not a lot of people that would want to buy a brand new Pinto today?

Honest Dad himself

5/29/14, 11:12 PM   #103
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Charles

I am not a big believer in purpose built race cars, but on a big track nothing beats a Crown Car. Midgets work great on Bull Rings but a Crown car would have to use reverse to negotiate some of them tight little turns. A midget at Raceway park looks a little squirrley to me. I don't really enjoy them there because to me they are out of their element. Generally on those big old tracks instead of 5 abreast you get an old freight train type race.

Sure they could get tires like Fi and get great life out of them but that would necessitate a FI suspension system and best I can remember they outlawed independent suspension before it could get off the ground. That is probably a good thing because who would want to watch a Mini Indy race unless it is a 1/4 midget little indy race.

Sure these new motors Toyota are powerful. They do it with a really big bore and bigger valves than the competition. Better breathing means more power. But the motor in the car you drive to the race probably breathes almost as good as that $40,000.00 race motor in those expensive little midget cars.

Race cars are supposed to be on the cutting edge of today's technology not on the cutting edge of 40 year old technology. There are not a lot of people that would want to buy a brand new Pinto today?

Honest Dad himself
That pinto ran up until the late 90s, It just wasn't a pinto body and the motors ran till ford quit the Ranger.

5/30/14, 5:56 AM   #104
DAD

Charles

So why would Ford quit making such an advanced technological wonder of an "Engine" anyhow??

What this country needs right now is a good $3000.00 Pinto or Falcon. Something you can get down under the hood and work on yourself. Then go race it on Saturday night.

Remember Merle Bettenhausen and his little Falcon powered midget back in the 60's? It was a pretty competitive little race car.

I bet a guy like Merle today would take a little 2.4 liter Echo Tec or V6 3.4 4valve DOHC GM motor and give them Toyota's a run for their money. Then you would have to ask yourself>>>would Toyota racing come back with a challenger? Yeh they probably would, but they still wouldn't have to change motors out between races because one of them "Big Valved Beast" swallowed another valve.

The design would be better.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 5/30/14 at 6:12 AM.

5/30/14, 11:52 AM   #105
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Remember Merle Bettenhausen and his little Falcon powered midget back in the 60's? It was a pretty competitive little race car.
Which car was that ??

5/30/14, 1:36 PM   #106
interpreter66

The end !

5/30/14, 1:37 PM   #107
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
The end !
Doubtful. It never seems to end!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
5/31/14, 5:33 AM   #108
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
Is that saying Kevin miller made nearly a half million dollars in salary last year?
That was for 2012

5/31/14, 9:22 AM   #109
flatlander51

Here's my take on the whole midget deal. I have worked for a sprint car team that had a midget we ran the chili bowl and local race around indiana, we had a blast running it, but in the end, it was too expensive to keep to run every now and then, for a purse that really wasn't worth bringing it. And this was a dirt car that we could run the rr several nights for local shows, and on asphalt car your boltin on a set of new tires every time you hit the track, if you want to be competitive.
It seems to me the midget deal is becoming a play ground of the rich and well established teams either just doing because they just have a comnection to it or have young guns either paying the bills or have some amazing talent to showcase before they move onto the next level. In either case, I see nothing wrong with it, but it would be nice if we had more numbers that would be competive with a these teams to make a better show.
Another trend I have noticed in the last few weeks between the little 500/night before the 500 and last night with POWRI, gas city is that several very good midget drivers where at gas city and the general consensus was they were done with running for no money. Midgets don't pay anything. What is amazing these guys probably could of pulled double duty and had decent night in both, but they choose to take chance running only one class at gas city or taking a big roll of the dice at the little 500. I don't think it's the necessarily an asphalt deal, it's the state of midgets. Yeah guys can keep a car around and go run the chili bowl because of the experience and party and can afford it but in the end running a weekly deal is too expensive from tires to motors compared to the purse
Last edited by flatlander51; 5/31/14 at 9:29 AM.

6/1/14, 1:07 PM   #110
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Motorsports View Post
I provide the following information for fact purposes only. Not to support any particular view. It has been stated that they are a non-profit which is a relm I make my daily living in. So here is some publically available information that may or may not support some viewpoints.

According to their IRS form 990 for the fiscal year ended 11/30/2012

Total Revenue: $5,102,264

Total Salaries: $1,393,999

Total Expenses: $4,583,733

Revenue less expenses: $518,531

Total Net Assets: $2,249624

Reportable Compensation:

Kevin Miller $434,000
Jason Smith $95,000

Two main sources of revenue: (not a comprehensive list of all revenue sources)

Race Revenue: $3,013,203
Sponsorship Revenue: $1,530,502

*****All of this information was taken from a 29 page document that is public information.

Where you at quicktime3, man up!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night Before The 500