IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
1/2/10, 11:17 AM   #41
Re: MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
Sprintcarfanatic

Think they were just fans but about 10 yrs ago @ Lawrenceburg a couple of San Francisco Giants popped into the track to enjoy the evenings festivities. Had to be a Hoosier Fall Classic because that's the only race I've ever been to down there.

1/2/10, 1:38 PM   #42
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
wow danny, you really putting marv in his place asking him about a guy who ran in the 30's.
He only made that suggestion because he recalls how he used to sit me on his knee and regale me with personal remembrance stories about Pepper Martin, Dizzy Dean, Ducky Medwick, Leo Durocher and other Gashouse Gang scalawags.

Get Danny to tell you about the time he asked Walter Johnson for an autograph. It was shortly after that when our favorite postman switched his fandom from baseball to racing, especially savoring the heroics of "Wild Bill" Cummings.

1/2/10, 1:40 PM   #43
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
Yeah, Richie. You were, what, 10?
Yeah, well 11 years old in '97. Those were my glory days when I first started to become a fanatic. :2:

1/2/10, 3:58 PM   #44
richie

Heck, that was more than half of a lifetime ago for me.

1/2/10, 4:29 PM   #45
riskybrisky5

Brian Dorsett played in the Major Leagues. He has helped me out through my career. Brian also introduced me to Doug Jones and Danny Shaffer which both loved sprint car racing they both played in the Majors. He also got me involved with Bobby Hillin Racing in the Busch Series, which that team was owned by Major League players. It was owned by Danny Shaffer, Gary Gaetti, Hal Morris, Andy Benes, Pete Schourek, and Mark Mcgwire, not sure on there spelling. Through that Bobby Hillin is sponsoring Chase with his T-Rex company. Brian is now part owner of T.H.A.T. Here is some stats I found on Brian.

Brian Dorsett
Brian Richard Dorsett Bats: Right , Throws: Right
Height: 6' 3" , Weight: 220 lb.
Born: April 9, 1961 in Terre Haute, IN
High School: North (Terre Haute, IN)
School: Indiana State University
Drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 10th round of the 1983 amateur draft. (All Transactions)
Debut: September 8, 1987
Final Game: June 4, 1996

June 6, 1983: Drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 10th round of the 1983 amateur draft.

July 15, 1987: Traded by the Oakland Athletics with Darrel Akerfelds to the Cleveland Indians for Tony Bernazard.

June 7, 1988: Traded by the Cleveland Indians to the California Angels for a player to be named later. The California Angels sent Colby Ward (July 15, 1989) to the Cleveland Indians to complete the trade.

November 17, 1988: Traded by the California Angels to the New York Yankees for Eric Schmidt (minors).

November 19, 1990: Released by the New York Yankees.

January 15, 1991: Signed as a Free Agent with the San Diego Padres.

August 2, 1991: Traded by the San Diego Padres to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Lynn Carlson (minors).

October 15, 1991: Granted Free Agency.

January 22, 1992: Signed as a Free Agent with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

October 15, 1992: Granted Free Agency.

December 10, 1992: Signed as a Free Agent with the Cincinnati Reds.

October 16, 1995: Granted Free Agency.

February 6, 1996: Signed as a Free Agent with the Chicago Cubs.

October 15, 1996: Granted Free Agency.

1/31/13, 9:40 AM   #46
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Funny! I was doing a search on Chris Hoiles and his race team and one of the firsts links led me back here. I remember see the hauler posted on page 4 at Camden Yards one day during an O's game.

Just goes to show what a great source of knowledge we have in place here!

1/31/13, 11:22 AM   #47
curly

Rick Sutcliffe major league pitcher his dad Dick Sutcliffe big sprint car driver actually in Sprint cat HoF.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: groove grabber
1/31/13, 3:47 PM   #48
unclebuck

There was an article on Clark in Sports Illustrated or ESPN the Magazine years ago. Said he owned or sponsored a dirt champ car. Article had photos.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams