IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Today USAC Midgets @ Lawrenceburg
6/16/13, 2:05 AM   #21
Re: Today USAC Midgets @ Lawrenceburg
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
Congratulations to IOW member . Zach won tonight's Indiana Midget Week feature race. I think this is his first USAC win.
Steve,

Zach won the 2011 Hut Hundred at Haubstadt.

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/16/13, 4:14 AM   #22
johnnythunderhead
Banned

i'm not insinuating that the racing wasn't awesome tonite, IT WAS!. but it always is at the burg. the track seems perfectly engineered to produce incredible racing (seemingly regardless of what type the track prep may be, wet, dry or in-between. and i'm sorry to keep harping on it, but I do not like dust, and anyone saying it wasn't dusty tonite is in denial, you should have seen my car, it was covered with it and so was I. the thing is, I recall a time when the burg was never dusty, back when the sprint cars were shooting little chards of wet clay several rows up into the grandstands at the start of the nite (something I haven't seen in the past couple of years!).

Posted via Mobile Device

6/16/13, 6:42 AM   #23
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Steve,

Zach won the 2011 Hut Hundred at Haubstadt.
Just wondering ??

"Congratulations to IOW member Dauminator5. Zach won tonight's Indiana Midget Week feature race._____________________________________________ ____
Last edited by Pat O'Connor Fan; 6/15/13 at 10:20 PM. Reason: It was his 2nd USAC Feature win"

I had corrected my error at 10:20 PM, Central time Saturday night, but Jerry's post makes it appear to have still been in error at 1:05 AM Sunday ???????

6/16/13, 9:10 AM   #24
BillyG

Great night of racing!! midgets were awesome! even the winner of the mod feature commented on how great the midget feature was.
covered in dust? I had no dust at all on me or my white chevy truck. I must have been in a different place i guess..

3 members like this post: fish, mowerman, SPRINTCAR
6/16/13, 9:30 AM   #25
Re: great midget racing
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead View Post
the beer is wet and the track is not and the peanuts are stale/ but the midget feach was excellent, except for ricco get'n turned around in the ruts! never seen this track so bumpy n rutty it worked fine for the lighter midgets with a high and low groove/ but not so much for the heavier, more powerful sprints/ there was no low groove to speak of for them/ but I was there to see the midgets, so I am happy, happy, happy (great show)/ sure got lots of dust in my eyes, lungs, throat and nasal passages though during the sprint feach/ once again, I love this track, but I sure dislike dust and I suspect that the drivers dislike rutty-bumps (specially those who fell victim to them) what's with the Indiana tracks anymore (MORE WATER EARL! ALL AROUND!)
Posted via Mobile Device
I wonder why when I go to a dirt track there is dust? But, if you think about it, I can recall driving down a dirt road one time and there was dust? Things that make you go hum?

6/16/13, 9:54 AM   #26
cowboyhar69

DAUM DOES IT IN LAWRENCEBURG “INDIANA MIDGET WEEK” FEATURE

Lawrenceburg, Indiana.……Zach Daum of Pocahontas, Illinois had endured a tough week before arriving at Lawrenceburg Speedway on Saturday night, but the slump turned around at the end of the Honda National Midget Series 30-lapper as Daum found himself in victory lane. It was Daum’s second win in the series, and the first since capturing the 2011 “Hut Hundred.”

Bobby East led the first lap from the front row, but Caleb Armstrong slid through turns three and four on lap two to jump to the lead. Armstrong, looking for his first National win on dirt, stretched out a big lead as he navigated a fast track with a big cushion around the high banks.

ProSource “Fast Qualifier” Rico Abreu was the man on the move, moving past East and Bryan Clauson just past the halfway point and setting his sights on Armstrong. The two ran a frenzied pace on the top-side and encountered traffic with ten to go. Abreu had a big run as they completed lap 22 and made a banzai move to the inside of turn-one, narrowly clearing Armstrong, who tapped him in the rear.

The duo kept racing as Michael Pickens, who had followed Abreu into striking distance, slid under Armstrong into turn-three. Pickens gained on Abreu quickly. Just a few laps later, Pickens slowed in turn-four with apparent engine issues.

On the restart, Abreu appeared to have lost the handle on his Keith Kunz/Curb-Agajanian Motorsports #67K, eventually spinning just after Daum, who started eighth, scooted under him for the lead into turn-one.

Daum got a big jump on the restart, as Clauson appeared to be his only threat for the win. Armstrong was fading, but Brady Bacon came on strong utilizing the bottom groove to make it a three-car fray. With Bacon low and Clauson high, they closed on Daum but didn’t have enough as Daum won by .295 seconds in the Daum Crop Insurance – Toyota #5D Eagle/Stanton Toyota.

“This had been such a terrible week for us. We were in the non-qualifier’s race two nights ago. Last night, we had quick time and broke in the feature. It feels really good to come back and get a win. We got a couple breaks, but our car was definitely coming on. I like to run the bottom, and tonight it came to us. Those guys started racing each other, and we just were able to get right on through,” Daum said.

Bacon, who started ninth, narrowly edged out Clauson by .019 seconds for the runner-up spot in the Wilke-Pak Racers – Speedway Motors #11 Spike/Stanton Mopar.

“We were kinda racing with Daum throughout the race. He was able to get up there a little quicker. We were obviously better at the end, just needed a bit more time. It was nice to have a really good race track here at Lawrenceburg, where we could move around and put on a show,” Bacon said.

Clauson closed the gap on Christopher Bell’s “Indiana Midget Week” point lead, celebrating his 24th birthday with a podium finish in the Honeybaked Ham of Bloomington – Curb Records #39 Spike/Esslinger.

“We just needed a longer run after that last restart to be able to do anything with Zach. It took a while for things to play out for us. We’ve gotten things turned around this week, though, and with Bell’s troubles we have a chance at the title for the week tomorrow at Kokomo,” Clauson said.

East came home fourth in the Klatt Enterprises – Chevy Performance #4 Beast/Chevy, while Darren Hagen rounded out the top-five in the RFMS Racing – Liberty Village #3 DRC/Esslinger.

HONDA USAC NATIONAL DIRT MIDGET RACE RESULTS: June 15, 2013 – Lawrenceburg, Indiana – Lawrenceburg Speedway – “Indiana Midget Week”

QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Rico Abreu, 67k, Kunz/Curb-Agajanian-14.368; 2. Michael Pickens, 1nz,Buckley-14.733; 3. Zach Daum, 5D, Daum-14.859; 4. Christopher Bell, 71, Kunz/Curb-Agajanian-14.889; 5. Brady Bacon, 11, Wilke-Pak-14.892; 6. Caleb Armstrong, 7c, C & A-14.932; 7. Jerry Coons Jr., 63, Dooling-14.932; 8. Taylor Ferns, 55, Ferns-14.956; 9. Bobby East, 4, Klatt-15.015; 10. Alex Bright, 17, RW/Curb-Agajanian-15.016; 11. Austin Brown, 7, Brown-15.046; 12. Tanner Thorson, 67, Kunz/Curb-Agajanian-15.048; 13. Bryan Clauson, 39, CTR/BCI/Curb-Agajanian-15.057; 14. Steve Buckwalter, 25, Buckwalter-15.068; 15. Darren Hagen, 3, RFMS-15.074; 16. Brad Kuhn, 10, Cook-15.084; 17. Ryan Criswell, 11R, R & C-15.150; 18. Brad Mosen, 7nz, Buckley-15.161; 19. Dave Darland, 2x, Lein-15.249; 20. Andrew Felker, 11a, Felker-15.254; 21. Tyler Thomas, 2s, Lein-15.350; 22. Tracy Hines, 24, Parker-15.400; 23. Dalton Armstrong, 7a, C & A-15.441; 24. Levi Jones, 56, 5IVE-6IX-15.455; 25. Matt Jackson, 97au, Jackson-15.493; 26. Brenden Bright, 92, Bright-15.507; 27. Dillon Welch, 98, CTR/BCI/Curb-Agajanian-15.571; 28. Seth Motsinger, 2M, Brown-15.664; 29. Jaimie McKinlay, 42ua, Fedrizzi-15.693; 30. Johnny Murdock, 0, Murdock-17.061; 31. Jimmy Glenn, 07, JG-NT.

FIRST HEAT : (10 laps) 1. Abreu, 2. Clauson, 3. T.Thomas, 4. East, 5. Bacon, 6. Criswell, 7. McKinlay, 8. Jackson. NT

SECOND HEAT : (10 laps) 1. Mosen, 2. C.Armstrong, 3. Buckwalter, 4. B.Bright, 5. A.Bright, 6. Murdock, 7. Hines, 8. Pickens. NT

THIRD HEAT : (10 laps) 1. Hagen, 2. Darland, 3. Coons, 4. D.Armstrong, 5. Daum, 6. Brown, 7. Welch. 2:03.23

FOURTH HEAT : (10 laps) 1. Felker, 2. Kuhn, 3. Bell, 4. Jones, 5. Ferns, 6. Thorson, 7. Motsinger. 2:01.64

SEMI: (12 laps) 1. Daum, 2. Pickens, 3. Bacon, 4. A.Bright, 5. Hines, 6. Brown, 7. Thorson, 8. Welch, 9. Criswell, 10. McKinlay, 11. Motsinger, 12. Jackson, 13. Ferns, 14. Murdock, 15. Glenn. 3:05.77

FEATURE: (30 laps) 1. Zach Daum, 2. Brady Bacon, 3. Bryan Clauson, 4. Bobby East, 5. Darren Hagen, 6. Jerry Coons Jr., 7. Caleb Armstrong, 8. Andrew Felker, 9. Alex Bright, 10. Tracy Hines, 11. Steve Buckwalter, 12. Brad Kuhn, 13. Levi Jones, 14. Tanner Thorson, 15. Dave Darland, 16. Christopher Bell, 17. Austin Brown, 18. Dillon Welch, 19. Tyler Thomas, 20. Rico Abreu, 21. Brad Mosen, 22. Michael Pickens, 23. Dalton Armstrong, 24. Brenden Bright. NT
--------------------------------
**Pickens flipped during the first heat.
FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Lap 1 East, Laps 2-20 C.Armstrong, Laps 21-27 Abreu, Laps 28-30 Daum.

NEW HONDA NATIONAL DIRT MIDGET POINTS: 1-Bell-223, 2-Clauson-212, 3-Felker-183, 4-Hines-175, 5-Hagen-173, 6-Coons-168, 7-Abreu-162, 8-Bacon-156, 9-Kuhn-155, 10-C.Armstrong-147.

NEW “INDIANA MIDGET WEEK” POINTS: 1-Bell-223, 2-Clauson-212, 3-Felker-183, 4-Hines-175, 5-Hagen-173, 6-Coons-168, 7-Abreu-162, 8-Bacon-156, 9-Kuhn-155, 10-Buckwalter-148.

NEXT HONDA NATIONAL DIRT MIDGET RACE: June 16 – Kokomo, Indiana – Kokomo Speedway – “Indiana Midget Week”

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, racegal
6/16/13, 10:06 AM   #27
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

The track also wasn't dry slick either. Did you attend the same race? Two grooves of rubber with plenty to lean on is by far not a bad track, In fact, ITS PERFECT (Save Ruts)
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/16/13 at 12:58 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Ricks Pics
6/16/13, 11:24 AM   #28
ShaneMugavin57

Track was perfect. Dave nailed it. Any more water and you risk the track getting too rough for the midgets. Just think of the flack Lawrenceburg gets from Johnnyblunderhead and the likes if he has to cancel the show or regrade the track because its too rough.

Posted via Mobile Device

6 members like this post: Danny Burton, FishBurger, jim goerge, mowerman, RichH, Ricks Pics
6/16/13, 11:38 AM   #29
ShaneMugavin57

Also forgot to add. We did break a spring in half but I do not blame Lburg's surface. The spring was only on its second race but it was probably a result of running a different track last week. The track I ran last week was the roughest I have been on in the 25 years I have been racing. Lawrenceburg last night felt like a pool table in comparison.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, koolaid89
6/16/13, 12:41 PM   #30
johnnythunderhead
Banned

I don't see where anyone described the track as dry slick (which it most certainly was not) but those who insist it was not dusty must have been somewhere else/ and I don't appreciate the tone of some of the responses (i.e. "johnnythunderhead and the likes"!); I assure you i'm not an ogre, but it appears as though some people cannot deal with constructive criticism and do not comprehend the concept of trying to make an already excellent track even better (there is always room for improvement)! and since when does a devout fan not have a right to express his opinions and concerns without being ripped on?

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 6/16/13 at 1:02 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Today USAC Midgets @ Lawrenceburg