IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joliet Cancelled
5/2/22, 3:52 AM   #31
Re: Joliet Cancelled
jdull99

It's just wiki, but this agrees Coyne was more behind the drag track (but that opened the door for the oval). This reads (also agreeing) more like Tony George, & Bill France Jr, were to thank for this track being built...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicagoland_Speedway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_66_Raceway
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 5/2/22 at 3:54 AM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/2/22, 10:27 AM   #32
BrentTFunk

I hated when IMS got out of the partnership. Those Indycar races were great.

5/2/22, 10:31 AM   #33
ISF

Yep, Ganassi was heavily involved in the Cicero track. We attended a couple of racing events there, one involving stock cars (I think it was an ASA show and Mike Garvey won) with the USAC National Midgets running a 25 lapper as a support class (Kasey Kahne won that race).

IIRC it was a collaboration of IMS/IRL and ISC which got Chicagoland Speedway built south of Joliet. Coyne was heavily involved with the construction of the drag strip but if I recall he had limited involvement with the big track.

It was exciting times regarding racing in northeast Illinois early on in this millennium. However, if something doesn't change soon the big track at Joliet will be a freight distribution and transportation hub and the drag strip and dirt track probably won't be far behind. The bloom is definitely off the rose.

5/2/22, 10:38 AM   #34
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I hated when IMS got out of the partnership. Those Indycar races were great.
They really were BTF. One of the best races involving any genre of racecars on any type racetrack I ever witnessed was an Indy Car race that took place at Chicagoland Speedway. It is not in any way hyperbole to say it was epic.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joliet Cancelled