IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015
9/24/14, 2:56 PM   #81
Re: Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 201
flagboy55

as I've said before, I hope it works. I am not sure what we are trying to do here. are we trying to give people more opportunity to race, or trying to draw fans. a support class will draw competing teams family and friends, but no one is buying a ticket to see a support class that doesn't have a vested interest. I know most of you have been to Indiana weekly shows, not to mention usac or mscs races. I think the key to growing our sport is just getting more people to show up. our racing is as good as it gets, if you can' hook em on that, a 305 wing car ain't gonna do it. another class will add back gate and a few spectators but don't look for it to boost the bottom line!

9/24/14, 5:58 PM   #82
TQ29m

Well. for what it's worth, sprint cars have not always been powered by 410's, I've seen a many of them run with flatheads, and Crockett ran an awfully bad ass 6 cyl Ford flat head, and I sold Yeadon his first Chevy V8, a 265 cu in one at that, and they were fast, many of the old timers remember when there was no substitute for cubes, I know that was eons ago, but we were still fast, and put on good racing, you young pups just don't understand it! It's kinda hard to breath with your head up your butt! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/24/14 at 5:59 PM. Reason: add

2 members like this post: bighd0522, PIT CART
9/25/14, 7:37 AM   #83
98arpy

Wilmot already runs 410 winged cars. They are doing this at the request of mini sprint teams that would like to gain experience in a full sized car.

9/25/14, 11:55 AM   #84
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

There is supposed to be @ 305 make some laps Friday.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

9/25/14, 2:18 PM   #85
cbaumeyer48

I have a question on this topic!

Will there be any qualifications regarding the drivers? (ie, what is their racing experience, what series have they ran before)...... I only ask as putting 20 cars on the track with maybe half or more having no open wheel experience , will prolly be good for the parts and tire dealers!

9/25/14, 2:43 PM   #86
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
I have a question on this topic!

Will there be any qualifications regarding the drivers? (ie, what is their racing experience, what series have they ran before)...... I only ask as putting 20 cars on the track with maybe half or more having no open wheel experience , will prolly be good for the parts and tire dealers!
I have to say that when PA Sprint Series started here it was pretty clean racing. It still is for the most part. I've been to about 15 PASS races in the past 3 years and have seen just a few flips. Guys race clean and respectful. Most know a bad crash will likely mean the end of their season.

9/26/14, 2:30 PM   #87
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koonzee View Post
MOWA is allready replacing some former non-wing events.( Gold Crown) This sounds like a nice feeder system for them. Welcome to Indiana. Maybe MOWA will replace non-wing racing at Indiana Midget Week. Hope Iam wrong
I hope you are wrong too!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/26/14, 3:45 PM   #88
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Seems to me you people r your own worst enemy. U hate winged 410s, u hate winged 360s, u hate winged 305s , and you scoff at someone who dare mention a nonwing 305 with a smaller right rear to even things up and lower motor costs.
I love it when u people bash USAC for not "changing/adapting to the times" and bellyache at low car counts.
Here's what I get from most of you.

This is nonwing 410 country and we hate change , USAC , low car counts , wings , and change. Sooooo come on out and enjoy our racing ... ITS THE BEST!

7 members like this post: flatout, jjracer636, Josh Kinser, Leohr46, PIT CART, racenut69, ryan84
9/26/14, 3:48 PM   #89
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I'll should probably just go ahead and banish myself from IOW with that comment. Have a gd one !

2 members like this post: PIT CART, racenut69
9/26/14, 5:23 PM   #90
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I don't get it If you like Wings, Thats fine. WoO holds three or four races in IN and Mowa a few. I think its good for a driver to get experience in both.

I grew up with NW, By the time I was in my late teens, Wings were all the rage, Bloomington, LBurg and I think Kokomo all but USAC winged for about 8 years and I knew about all of them that raced, Gordon, Saldana, All four kinsers, Once or twice a year the All stars would hold a big show and bring in the Haud's, Jacobs, Hodnetts, Hodges and a few others and we had good local talent, Briscoe, Huntley, Shields, Blands It went fine for about five years and then. What one person told me would happen, Happened. Everyone went broke, Some shows were 7-10 cars total.

I got to realizing not long into it that heats were a joke. You might as well run one lap heats because the way they were after one lap was the way they'd stay, Unless there was a yellow and restart and then someone might get the jump.

Features, I seen some incredible ones, The ones that went green, The leader would take off for about the first five to six laps but once the air got mucked up. The racing was on and at times as good as many of the NW races I've seen. Races that had a lot of yellows, Not so good.

Late 90s, Early 2000s Wings are gone. Soon after, So are the All Stars as we knew em. NW counts started to grow, Some of the tracks regularly had 35 NW sprinters, Some of the Mini Guys found they could afford to run NW Full Size.

I honestly think the decline is more to do with the cost of traveling, fuel and cost to get everyone in the pits than the actual cost of the car and motor, If a track goes hard and black, You'll burn off 600 or more worth of tires to run one race that pays 650 for third.. As others said, Open trailer, It cost the street stock the same in travel, pit passes and fuel as it does the Sprinter.

I stayed out of it a long time. If it proves to be a good thing, Getting more in and more moving into Full up sprints. Fine. Im for it. If its a fall back for teams that already have full up 410s. Im against. Winged I will not go to watch them, While NW, With a left front of the ground, Some biking and and a lot of passing, I would.

Same goes with Mini Sprints, Make it setups and racing ability and I'd like em. I liked em when I seen em run NW against the full up midgets the couple times I seen it. The put your foot to the floor and the faster you go, The more stable it is, Then Brag how they're faster than a NW Full up Sprinter, Does nothing for me.
I wrote all this up, Went and made supper, Debating on weather to post it or not.
I got nothing against those who like wings. It's just not me I even had a ball back in the 80s with Bombers and LM's with no open wheel, Probably why I like street stocks more than Wings to this day.

Well there it is, Im not banning myself. Not badmouthing anyone, Just saying what I think.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/26/14 at 5:28 PM.

4 members like this post: captrat, hairracer44, jim goerge, Will Shunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015