IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dave darland
1/14/13, 10:02 PM   #1
Dave darland
DDFan

I wanted to share and tell you about one of racing greats in my eyes. The people's Champ Dave Darland. I was very fortunate to have talked with him several times, at Osky 2011, Chili Bowl and over the phone during Knoxville 2012. I wanted to thank him for taking time to chat with me on these occasions and for the well wishes and autographed pictures of him and I. I am now bedridden and chronically ill but I follow his progress and wanted to wish him good luck. He is one of the truly greatest racers and a true Champ, but hey I'm baised!

Thank you so much DD!! Good Luck
Last edited by DDFan; 1/15/13 at 5:57 AM.

1/15/13, 9:14 AM   #2
Re: Dave darland
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

A perfect 1st post DDfan. Not only for you, but for everyone, that is truly Dave Darland! He got his nickname honestly, he IS "the Peoples Champion". All our prayers are with you in your health battle, just stay as positive as your first post on IOW was, All the best, bob.

6 members like this post: DDFan, dirtball, racegal, ronmil, speed bump, Wayne Davis
1/15/13, 10:16 AM   #3
tim brown

Dave Darland is THE MAN !!!!! DDFan I WISH YOU WELL
Last edited by tim brown; 1/15/13 at 10:20 AM.

4 members like this post: Checker'd Past, DDFan, racegal, ronmil
1/15/13, 12:19 PM   #4
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

DDFan, Thank you for the post! Welcome to the board! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
PS I'm biased too.
Last edited by racegal; 1/15/13 at 9:43 PM.

4 members like this post: DDFan, Melmo, ronmil, trencherman
1/15/13, 1:39 PM   #5
cwhipple
Inactive Member

I was watching some old ESPN Thunder tapes last night and Dave was running the opening night in a midget at Ventura in 1995. Won the heat race. The feature was won by Billy Boat and Tony Stewart ran second.

Let me know if anyone would like to see the race uploaded to Youtube!

5 members like this post: DDFan, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, racegal, speed bump
1/15/13, 2:45 PM   #6
ISF

We're pullin' for ya' DDFan.

For me, Dave Darland and guys like him are part of the reason short track open wheel racing is a lifelong passion. Not only is DD a top flight racer, he's a good guy. I believe those two attributes are equally important.

cwhipple we made our first visit to Ventura last March for opening night there. What a great place to watch a race. We'd love to see some vintage Ventura video!!

3 members like this post: DDFan, racegal, speed bump
1/15/13, 3:43 PM   #7
KOP

I would also like to thank Dave for what he has done to put a smile on DDFAN's face, even if for a brief moment. DDFAN was instantly smitten by Dave's gracious demeanor and upbeat attitude when they first met. Dave is the "People's Champ" for a reason. Class act by a classy man. Best wishes to you DDFAN. Your in my prayers everyday.

3 members like this post: Brakeline, DDFan, racegal
1/15/13, 5:43 PM   #8
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhipple View Post
I was watching some old ESPN Thunder tapes last night and Dave was running the opening night in a midget at Ventura in 1995. Won the heat race. The feature was won by Billy Boat and Tony Stewart ran second.

Let me know if anyone would like to see the race uploaded to Youtube!
I would love to see it. Please do so. Thanks.

1 member likes this post: racegal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dave darland