IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Eric Smith (Offline)
  #31 8/12/15 7:26 AM
From everything I've experienced (only sprint races the last 4 years), Hartford is top notch. The track is always pretty good, the facility is always clean and looks good, the staff is always friendly and helpful, and the stands are always full. They definitely take care of the racers there. But the pits are always empty. My opinion is that the fans pack the place because of the size and speed there. Coincidently, that's the same reason I think the racers stay away. Crash once and even your steering wheel is junk. Multiple motors die there every time I've been there. So it's a big risk to race there. The track is in a hard spot. I think if they make the track smaller, the fan count may shrink, but the car count will definitely increase. It has to be a hard balance. As someone who builds, fixes, and finances my own car, I would love to see it smaller. Much smaller. A couple hours closer to help would be nice as well. Having said that, can't wait for this show Friday night.
3 Likes: fish, nathans1012, Spi-nex
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #32 8/12/15 10:10 AM
Always said it would be a great track for silver crown cars. Next year might be a good time to get them as Syracuse will be done after this year. I love the place but the regular shows are somewhat bland to me. The speed is awesome but that sometime leads to the cars being strung out. Haven't seen sprints there for a few years, gonna try to get there Friday
Midget 89 (Offline)
  #33 8/12/15 10:38 AM
What about a quarter-mile on the inside and keep the big track on the outside. Tri-City (Auburn, MI) did this when they were paved.

#34 8/12/15 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Midget 89:
What about a quarter-mile on the inside and keep the big track on the outside. Tri-City (Auburn, MI) did this when they were paved.

That idea has been tossed around, but we would need to fill in the infield which is extremely cost prohibitive. You don't get the full scope of just how deep the infield is until you're standing down there.

The current thought that is "IF" there was a reconfiguration we would utilize the current 1 & 2 turns, then cut in through the turns 3 & 4 access road turning the track into a 4/10th mile. It would still be a fast track and wouldn't compromise the current half mile, but it would "offset" the track from the grandstands a bit. I'll have to sketch something up to show you guys.
MIracing (Offline)
  #35 8/12/15 12:43 PM
Is this show a positive thing or negative for MTS?

On one hand you get to race in front of fans that might not normally come to a non wing show. If you put on a good race they might think about supporting you in the future.

On the other hand you had a race scheduled with the track and now they bring in winged sprints for a higher purse. You get guys like Eric Smith who have run wing and non wing this year who will keep the wing on because of a higher payout. This hurts the MTS car count and possibly the image. It can hurt the image of MTS with fans and drivers alike.
Spi-nex (Offline)
  #36 8/12/15 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by MIracing:
Is this show a positive thing or negative for MTS?

On one hand you get to race in front of fans that might not normally come to a non wing show. If you put on a good race they might think about supporting you in the future.

On the other hand you had a race scheduled with the track and now they bring in winged sprints for a higher purse. You get guys like Eric Smith who have run wing and non wing this year who will keep the wing on because of a higher payout. This hurts the MTS car count and possibly the image. It can hurt the image of MTS with fans and drivers alike.
Eric called us and stated that he is going to be running both. It's a $600 payday just to start both races. Not too shabby for those wanting to do the double. We also upped the start pay for MTS cars to $300 to match the wings.

The goal is to 100% secure a quality show and allow us to probe into the future of Hartford. There will be two types of people that look at this type of race: A- Those who are slighted that we would add wings or B- Those who see this as an opportunity both as drivers and fans. No matter what MTS will be able to have the opportunity to expand their brand to a larger audience. Not very many places can say that.
Can26 (Offline)
  #37 8/12/15 3:23 PM
Nope, Both cars are staying parked in the garage. If the MTS purse was to match EQUALY the surprise wing show, well then maybe... but since it's not ... Watson Racing
staggerman (Offline)
  #38 8/12/15 4:05 PM
I am just a little nervous on the car count for the winged show at Hartford as I now find out I-96 has their 410 show the same night. SOD is off on Friday but they are running on Saturday at Plymouth so not sure how many of those guys will come out on a Friday. So does Daggett, Mann, Ridnoer, Dahlman go I-96 or Hartford. Just wish the promoters would work together in MI. I know some will say the purse is higher at Hartford but most of those guys live real close to I-96 and that can make a difference.

As for the MTS imagine they will get around 18-20 cars.
MIracing (Offline)
  #39 8/12/15 4:20 PM
Originally Posted by staggerman:
I am just a little nervous on the car count for the winged show at Hartford as I now find out I-96 has their 410 show the same night. SOD is off on Friday but they are running on Saturday at Plymouth so not sure how many of those guys will come out on a Friday. So does Daggett, Mann, Ridnoer, Dahlman go I-96 or Hartford. Just wish the promoters would work together in MI. I know some will say the purse is higher at Hartford but most of those guys live real close to I-96 and that can make a difference.

As for the MTS imagine they will get around 18-20 cars.
My guess is Daggett either will race I96 or not race. Ridenour is hurt. 13 cars went to I96 last week. Lamberson is coming to Hartford. The other 12 My guess is will return to I96 butthe higher guaranteed purse and tow will help Hartford. There are 2 more, I know of going to I96 that weren't there last week. So, Hartford will be getting guys who didn't travel last week or who are from out of state. That's my prediction. I'm no expert.
Spi-nex (Offline)
  #40 8/12/15 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Can26:
Nope, Both cars are staying parked in the garage. If the MTS purse was to match EQUALY the surprise wing show, well then maybe... but since it's not ... Watson Racing
Sorry to hear that, but understand. I wish you nothing but the best in whoever/wherever you decide to support this weekend!

Originally Posted by MIracing:
My guess is Daggett either will race I96 or not race. Ridenour is hurt. 13 cars went to I96 last week. Lamberson is coming to Hartford. The other 12 My guess is will return to I96 butthe higher guaranteed purse and tow will help Hartford. There are 2 more, I know of going to I96 that weren't there last week. So, Hartford will be getting guys who didn't travel last week or who are from out of state. That's my prediction. I'm no expert.
Daggett will be at Hartford.