IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big E 4 Crown picks
9/19/17, 11:05 PM   #51
Re: Big E 4 Crown picks
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'll get called strange again, But about a quarter the reason I go to USAC shows is to see single car qualifying. One driver, one track, Mono-E-Mono It was the same with when I went to the winged All Stars and WoO in the past at Eldora. Hearing that single motor echo in the valley of the Wabash and a driver getting all they could get. Sometimes a late qualifier "FAST TIME"!!!!!!! You could actually focus on one car and see that they were doing good or bad or just average instead of several cars spread out.

Understand the count, format and time problems. Don't understand the 8pm start time for what equates to four three hours shows.

9/19/17, 11:16 PM   #52
Charles Nungester

Was wondering what Midget DD was in.
Thanks Thomas's

Dave Darland
13 mins ·

**BREAKING 4 CROWN NEWS**

A huge THANK YOU to Brian & Tyler Thomas for the opportunity to team up with Tyler in this weekends Midget portion of the 4 Crown Nationals at Eldora Speedway! Brian & Tyler are wonderful people & the equipment they have is nothing short of exceptional! We appreciate it greatly & we look forward to putting the #91B up on the fence at "The Big E"

The #91B Sponsors:
Owner: Brian Thomas
BT Machine
Esslinger Engineering
Airgroup
RodEnd Supply
Smith Titanium Products
Spike Chassis
AFD Designs

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart, racegal, Simon_says17
9/19/17, 11:32 PM   #53
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
From an Eldora email received today.

SHOW EFFICIENCY:
Due to the sheer number of race cars expected across four divisions on Saturday, a number of changes have been implemented since the 2016 4-Crown. Some of those changes include:
- The USAC Silver Crown will pit in the upper pits (as opposed to mixed divisions).
- The USAC Midgets will draw for heat races & utilize passing points (no qualifying).
- The All Star Sprints will run one lap in qualifying and a one Dash format, 25-lap Feature.
I like it, worth a try... wish I could go. Never a big fan of qualifying anyway.
Last year took WAY too long

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, tirespinner
9/20/17, 11:12 AM   #54
carrytheleftfront

Midget: Hagen
Sprint: Grant
Silver Crown: Swanson
Wings: Rico

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/20/17, 12:00 PM   #55
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrytheleftfront View Post
Midget: Hagen
Sprint: Grant
Silver Crown: Swanson
Wings: Rico
Hagen? He coming out of retirement for this one?

2 members like this post: LRP36, tirespinner
9/20/17, 4:33 PM   #56
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Crown 6 the Eldora stocks.I'll go with Frank Paladino.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/20/17, 5:15 PM   #57
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I'll get called strange again, But about a quarter the reason I go to USAC shows is to see single car qualifying. One driver, one track, Mono-E-Mono It was the same with when I went to the winged All Stars and WoO in the past at Eldora. Hearing that single motor echo in the valley of the Wabash and a driver getting all they could get. Sometimes a late qualifier "FAST TIME"!!!!!!! You could actually focus on one car and see that they were doing good or bad or just average instead of several cars spread out.

Understand the count, format and time problems. Don't understand the 8pm start time for what equates to four three hours shows.
You will still get 3 classes doing single car qualifying. I think it will be tough under sun and upper 80's to keep any track alive. Will I see you Saturday? Think I will be in the pits.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, Kydehart, mc/rider, tirespinner
9/20/17, 9:56 PM   #58
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
You will still get 3 classes doing single car qualifying. I think it will be tough under sun and upper 80's to keep any track alive. Will I see you Saturday? Think I will be in the pits.
That's the plan for now, Although if I feel like I did most of today. I won't be going anywhere. Feel better now. Hope to go.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Kydehart, mc/rider, Simon_says17
9/20/17, 11:33 PM   #59
flagboy55

Ok,going to try to not be too long winded here but bear with me if I do. As some of you know the 4 crown is my absolute favorite of racing events, the only downside is it means the white flag is clearly in the air for our racing season in the Midwest. I along with my dad and brother were at the first and have been to almost all since. We can all come up with critical comments, but ultimately it's truly a showcase for the United States Auto Club. The 4 crown has created stars and validated the legendary status of giants in our sport.
On a value level, other than the free night at smack down I challenge anyone to compare. Any of us would pay 20 bucks for any one of these series at any other track but for 10 bucks more you get them all. And if you don't want to go because you might see a car with a wing on it, then I have no clue for you. It's still a better filler for you than street stocks or mods. And yes, it's not the Eldora that I fell in love with 40 years ago as far as the track goes but it's still pretty bad a$$. And the facility is great almost no lines to the restrooms and a 2 dollar yuengling. I could go on but won't, if you choose not to go, I'm sorry because your only cheating yourself. If you are going I'll see you there. Stop by and say hi and have a fresh 3 floods beer with me and my gang from the region. As always, I'll be the guy with the Detroit Red Wings hat.
Now to my picks
WOO- I would love to see Jac or Sheldon pick up the win, I think the place would go nuts, and of course you can't count out 15, but I'm going with the big cat Brad Sweet, I think he's going to make Don Don sweat a little for the championship.
Midgets - saw a twitter feed that looks like KKM is bringing a car for Rico, so I'll take him, if not I'll take Brady Bacon to sneak out a win.
Sprints - I thought Justin Grant would win a lot of races this season, and while he appears to in the mix, hasn't parked it in a while. I think he and Sam put together a winning combination this Saturday
Big Cars - I can't pick against Big Daddy
Allstars - Rico with 2 wins on the night
Alright, that's it for now. One last thing. My dad, who drove us to the first 4 crown, is going to miss his first one this year as he's just gotten too comfortable in the Arizona desert. It won't be the same without him but we're going to make the best of it. See you this weekend

9/20/17, 11:50 PM   #60
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Ok,going to try to not be too long winded here but bear with me if I do. As some of you know the 4 crown is my absolute favorite of racing events, the only downside is it means the white flag is clearly in the air for our racing season in the Midwest. I along with my dad and brother were at the first and have been to almost all since. We can all come up with critical comments, but ultimately it's truly a showcase for the United States Auto Club. The 4 crown has created stars and validated the legendary status of giants in our sport.
On a value level, other than the free night at smack down I challenge anyone to compare. Any of us would pay 20 bucks for any one of these series at any other track but for 10 bucks more you get them all. And if you don't want to go because you might see a car with a wing on it, then I have no clue for you. It's still a better filler for you than street stocks or mods. And yes, it's not the Eldora that I fell in love with 40 years ago as far as the track goes but it's still pretty bad a$$. And the facility is great almost no lines to the restrooms and a 2 dollar yuengling. I could go on but won't, if you choose not to go, I'm sorry because your only cheating yourself. If you are going I'll see you there. Stop by and say hi and have a fresh 3 floods beer with me and my gang from the region. As always, I'll be the guy with the Detroit Red Wings hat.
Now to my picks
WOO- I would love to see Jac or Sheldon pick up the win, I think the place would go nuts, and of course you can't count out 15, but I'm going with the big cat Brad Sweet, I think he's going to make Don Don sweat a little for the championship.
Midgets - saw a twitter feed that looks like KKM is bringing a car for Rico, so I'll take him, if not I'll take Brady Bacon to sneak out a win.
Sprints - I thought Justin Grant would win a lot of races this season, and while he appears to in the mix, hasn't parked it in a while. I think he and Sam put together a winning combination this Saturday
Big Cars - I can't pick against Big Daddy
Allstars - Rico with 2 wins on the night
Alright, that's it for now. One last thing. My dad, who drove us to the first 4 crown, is going to miss his first one this year as he's just gotten too comfortable in the Arizona desert. It won't be the same without him but we're going to make the best of it. See you this weekend
Great picks. 4 crown is my favorite as well. Last year was my first, but it just doesn't get any better than all divisions that I love on one night. We just started going to eldora about 3 years ago for let's race 2 and decided to add 4 crown last year. Best decision ever. We'll be headed over on Friday so hope to see you there.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big E 4 Crown picks