IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #51 12/11/16 12:17 AM
Never heard it first hand but after drivers voiced a little concern about them was told they will not be on while it's green flag racing will just come on as soon as a caution or red happens again just what i was told guess we will see at least give it a chance
5 Likes: flagboy55, jim goerge, oppweld, PIT CART, treecitytornado
Z-man (Offline)
  #52 12/11/16 1:14 AM
Was this idea of the leader having a flashing light from a video game?

Will work for Race Tickets and Beer
TheRoadrunner (Offline)
  #53 12/11/16 2:03 AM
I think the lights will work if it is only used for yellow or red. In the case of the halos I don't think they will ever be mandatory because for some cars that's the only way out if it's on fire is through the roof. Some midgets and sprint cars there is absouloley no way for a medium sized guy to git out the window due to the huge armguards only 6in to the armguard to the starting of the side sun visor! If it comes down to being mandatory they will have to ban the Left side armguards and the side visors!
illiNOISE (Offline)
  #54 12/11/16 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote:
I like the idea of the first three cars being identified. We folks that attend regularly and know the cars can keep track well enough. But, I can tell you as I continually bring new people to the track to encourage growth of our sport, the one thing they all mention is the difficulty of following the race as the cars spread out. Another suggestion would to have the green light blinking on car in the last transfer position qualification races.
Particularly on the really tight bullrings (Macon, Belle Clair, Wayne City, etc.), the lapping process can start very quickly, especially in lower mains or LCQ races, where there can be a few sub par cars starting near the back. This is where these lights could really help.

Paired with the USAC leaderboard displaying both numbers and names, these lights could help keep things straight for fans and announcers, particularly when watching very similar looking team cars. Those little k's or x's behind the duplicate 67, 71, and 97 on the black Toyota Kunz cars can be hard to pick up at speed.

Even Roman Chariots ran non-wing, and on dirt. Hail Caesar!
rpedersen20 (Offline)
  #55 12/11/16 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by illiNOISE:
Particularly on the really tight bullrings (Macon, Belle Clair, Wayne City, etc.), the lapping process can start very quickly, especially in lower mains or LCQ races, where there can be a few sub par cars starting near the back. This is where these lights could really help.

Paired with the USAC leaderboard displaying both numbers and names, these lights could help keep things straight for fans and announcers, particularly when watching very similar looking team cars. Those little k's or x's behind the duplicate 67, 71, and 97 on the black Toyota Kunz cars can be hard to pick up at speed.
Not sure why racing organizations got on board with the participation trophy deal. The organizations are afraid to send people home resulting in large and stupid amount of cars in all races. If tracks and organizations started 18 cars in a feature instead of 20-24 or even larger at some places because of provisionals the benefits could be threefold. First the money usually going to those cars can go thru the field. Second less confusion for fans trying to find out who's winning, and lastly less cars for leaders to run into lapping sometimes multiple times a race. Hell during sprint week they had 12 cars heat races taking the top four. I think some places feel guys won't keep coming back if they can't get laps, but thank god we have PARAGON.

After many of his wins Stanbrough’s fans can be heard chanting “King of Indiana.” - quote from onedirt.com
Jack Dupp (Offline)
  #56 12/11/16 12:29 PM
Here is the whole story. Argue at will.

usacracing.com:

A USAC initiative aimed at driver safety was introduced during the Performance Racing Industry Trade Show at the Indiana Convention Center Thursday.

The TraceSAFE system will launch in early 2017 and will be implemented in the three USAC National Championship Series: Silver Crown, AMSOIL National Sprint Cars and National Midgets.

USAC will supply the TracSAFE equipment to teams at each of the series’ national events throughout the 2017 season. USAC has led the development of this innovative new safety feature with support from Toyota Racing Development.

A light system on the dash and the back of the roll cage of each racecar will serve multiple functions. The innovative feature incudes an indicator on the dashboard that will light up yellow when the track goes under a yellow or red flag situation. The system is connected to USAC’s timing and scoring, which will allow for an instantaneous response from race control to the competitors on the track to alert each driver in the event of an on-track incident.

Furthermore, a series of three lights will be located on the back of the roll cage. During green flag periods, the lights will serve as “leader lights” to indicate to fans the running order position of the car on the track. If a driver is leading, one green light will be illuminated, two green lights for the second-place running car and three green lights for the third-place car.

As soon as timing and scoring goes under a yellow or red flag condition, the three lights on the back of the cage of all cars will immediately flash rapidly to alert drivers of a full-course yellow flag condition.

Additionally, scan code stickers will be placed on the back of each driver’s helmet to allow medical personnel quick and easy access to the driver’s detailed medical history.

With an objective of safety and decreasing the response time for communication from race control to the drivers, TracSAFE won overwhelming approval from attendees visiting the USAC display.
4 Likes: cleatziff, Jbaldwin, jim goerge, jjones752
PJ Wright (Online)
  #57 12/11/16 2:31 PM
Originally Posted by rpedersen20:
The organizations are afraid to send people home resulting in large and stupid amount of cars in all races. If tracks and organizations started 18 cars in a feature instead of 20-24 or even larger at some
So 18 cars is good but 20 is "large and stupid" ??? I couldn't disagree more. I'm guessing you're not a fan of The Little 500.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
5 Likes: Charles Nungester, interpreter66, jim goerge, speed bump, TQ97
Backitin (Offline)
  #58 12/11/16 3:46 PM
Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
If they save one life, wouldn't it be worth the problems?

Hopefully they work better than their infield big screen tv!
The above quote can be said for every invention anyone could come up with.
Eventually you have more problems then racing.
Racing is getting like the rest of the country is heading, if there are risk takers they are ruled out of it. The rest of the country is started young, they are teached to hide under your desk at school if there is even the possibility of a danger.
It just happened near us a art project was seen by a student who saw something they thought was a weapon. It looked nothing like a weapon but with one phone call the school was locked down hundreds of police were sent out. Of course most of the students were huddled under there desks, crying and texting loved ones to say goodbye. Its pathetic. Its what is taught in America, over react to every danger and god forbid never take care your own business, your own safety. A small light on your dash, fine. No real racer wants more crap on their car especially that crap.
I could never figure out the bleeding hearts who rant and rant over one racing death when the people dying in race cars are doing exactly what they want, while thousands die on our roads daily, men women and children.
sp6967 (Offline)
  #59 12/11/16 3:54 PM
Originally Posted by Backitin:
The above quote can be said for every invention anyone could come up with.
Eventually you have more problems then racing.
Racing is getting like the rest of the country is heading, if there are risk takers they are ruled out of it. The rest of the country is started young, they are teached to hide under your desk at school if there is even the possibility of a danger.
It just happened near us a art project was seen by a student who saw something they thought was a weapon. It looked nothing like a weapon but with one phone call the school was locked down hundreds of police were sent out. Of course most of the students were huddled under there desks, crying and texting loved ones to say goodbye. Its pathetic. Its what is taught in America, over react to every danger and god forbid never take care your own business, your own safety. A small light on your dash, fine. No real racer wants more crap on their car especially that crap.
I could never figure out the bleeding hearts who rant and rant over one racing death when the people dying in race cars are doing exactly what they want, while thousands die on our roads daily, men women and children.
its referred to as the snow flake generation.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." President Ronald Reagan
illiNOISE (Offline)
  #60 12/11/16 4:59 PM
Originally Posted by Z-man:
Was this idea of the leader having a flashing light from a video game?
It's no different than the trend in the "ball" sports, where the real thing looks more and more like a video game. Just look at the virtual yellow first down line on NFL broadcasts. And it's not necessarily a bad thing, as it can assist the casual fan.

Even Roman Chariots ran non-wing, and on dirt. Hail Caesar!