IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track(s) no longer around you wish you could visit 1st time?
12/27/22, 8:26 PM   #31
TQ29m

Speaking of THE Atomic Speedway, what kind of cars would you call them, when we were there, 6 times, with the tqs, we ran our own show, so we were busy and didn't get to look and watch them much, I must assume they were 4 cylinder, struck me to be a Pinto body on a midget chassis, with AR tires on all 4 corners, really strong motors, bad fast, wish we had learned more about them, I thought nice looking as well, Wayne, anything you can add? Bob

12/27/22, 8:37 PM   #32
Re: Track(s) no longer around you wish you could visit 1st t
Gary P

Warsaw IN (tried once but it was rained out)
Illiana
Lake Geneva WI
Rolling Wheels NY

12/27/22, 8:59 PM   #33
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Trenton Speedway. id love to see an early '80s indy car take a right turn in the middle of the back shute. also, Rendezvous Bowl in Sister Lakes (MI). they raced midgets in the late 40s and the track is still there ! ! ! ! we have lotsa great memories racing around the old shut down speedway.

Rich M

1 member likes this post: Pitdad
12/27/22, 11:15 PM   #34
dirtybob29

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 22

Ascot and Manzanita the Nutley Velodrome are the first 3 that come to mind .

2 members like this post: oppweld, TNRustler
12/28/22, 5:00 PM   #35
yeleyfan76

Ascot because the great videos I’ve seen can’t have done it justice. Id also like to see Santa Fe since I’ve been told I missed a good one there too.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pitdad
12/28/22, 6:57 PM   #36
Daisy's dad

Of the 102 tracks that I have been to over many years, I can't think of any that I knew enough about to regret not seeing a program there. Back around '78, I went to a WoO swing through PA, and one of the races got rained out. I walked up to the track and eyeballed it, and thought it had the potential for a great show. It was one of the smaller tracks on the eastern swing, but can't recall the name.

Also around that time period, I traveled from Winnipeg, Manitoba every fall for the Western World at Manzanita, and then carried on the following weekend to the Pacific Coast Nationals at Ascot. We did this for quite a few years. In late 1989, I moved to So.Cal. and enjoyed Ascot every Saturday night, less than an hours drive from my home. In 1990, they closed. In 2007 I retired and moved to Mesa, AZ. Went to Manzanita anytime they were running 410s. Also about a 45 minute drive from home. They closed in 2009. I have been advised many times since then not to move to Kokomo.

Joe Shaheen's Little Springfield was always a favorite. I saw a handful of races there over the years. If I recall correctly, there was a K-Mart next to turn 3-4, and the cars in the backside of the store parking lot had some cleaning to do after hotlaps.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, TNRustler
12/29/22, 12:22 AM   #37
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Nutley Velodrome NJ
Islip NY
Danbury Ct
Reading
Ascot
Little Springfield
Rowley Park South Australia
Sydney Showgrounds Sydney Australia
Langhorne
Jungle Park
16th Street

Surely forgetting a few.....
I went to Danbury a couple of times after we moved to Ct. in 1966. It had already been paved when I went there (maybe '68?)..... after getting hooked on wild ass dirt tracks in Virginny, I lost interest & didn't go to another race for over 40 years. These were the old modified coupes.
Then I saw dirt track sprint cars in 2010... woohoo!

12/29/22, 12:57 AM   #38
fish

Fort Wayne Speedway

12/29/22, 12:24 PM   #39
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's dad View Post
Joe Shaheen's Little Springfield was always a favorite. I saw a handful of races there over the years. If I recall correctly, there was a K-Mart next to turn 3-4, and the cars in the backside of the store parking lot had some cleaning to do after hotlaps.
Yes it was a K-Mart of off 3-4. My great racing friend Robbie Standridge landed far onto the parking one night. We thought he had hurt himself bad. Think his quote to us was "I'm alright I just need a Budweiser to clear my head up". Lesson for me ... I've drank Budweiser every since that night seeing how the miracle brew helped heal Robbie.

Sorry to stray off topic from the thread title for those offended

12/29/22, 1:12 PM   #40
TQ29m

Don't be sorry, be glad, at least he was able to take it internally, you didn't have to rub it in.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track(s) no longer around you wish you could visit 1st time?