IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jack Hewitt...back in the saddle...
7/26/08, 2:12 PM   #1
Jack Hewitt...back in the saddle...
gasitup71

...well "kiss my d!&k", Jack Hewitt returned to sprint car action last night at Skyline Speedway...here is the story from the Skyline website...

There just aren't enough words in the English language to describe Danny Smith's dominance in 2008. 2008 has been a dream season for the once-touring outlaw, who has overcome some dry seasons to harvest this year's record crop. The win was Smith's eighth of the season, and except for some early challenges from Jimmy Stinson, the gutsy veteran stormed to another dominant win, lapping all but the top five cars. Invader Luke Hall and local ace Greg Mitchell had great runs in to the top five, behind dash winner Hud Horton who had one of his best career Skyline runs. Horton was able to hold off Smith for the dash win after Smith blitzed the Skyline clay with a 10:92 clocking, an average nearing 130 miles per hour. Brandon Martin and Aaron Higgins, two future stars, were tied up in a lap one melee and could not restart. Making a return to sprint car racing was Indy 500 veteran Jack Hewitt of Troy, Ohio, who looked good before suffering mechanical woes. Third place Josh Davis fell out of competition when his mount stalled on lap 13. While Smith was dominating the pack with daredevil moves, Stinson and Horton held their ground in second and third. The best battle of the night was a three-way dog fight between Mitchell, Wayne McPeek, and Luke Hall. Then Dave Dickson and Mark Imler climbed into the mix to top off strong performances. Smith claimed the win with Stinson, Horton, Mitchell, Hall, Dickson, McPeek, Adam Strausser, Mark Imler, and Freddie Staats in tow. Hard charger of the race was Spud Gustin with a 19 to 11th-place run

The Summary: July 25, 2008
410 Sprints (20)
Fast Time-Danny Smith (10.92)
Dash-Hud Horton, Danny Smith, Brandon Martin, Jimmy Stinson
Heat One-Aaron Higgins, Mark Imler, Wayne McPeek, Freddie Statts
Heat Two-Adam Strausser, Josh Davis, Luke Hall, Brian Benson
Feature-Danny Smith, Jimmy Stinson, Hud Horton, Greg Mitchell, Luke Hall, Dave Dickson, Wayne McPeek, Adam Strausser, Mark Imler, Freddie Staats, Spud Guston, Brian Benson, Kory Crabtree, Wes McGlumphy, Jimmy Snead, Josh Davis, Benny Hickel, Jack Hewitt, Aaron Higgins, Brandon Martin

7/26/08, 2:47 PM   #2
Re: Jack Hewitt...back in the saddle...
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Thanks 'Gasitup71' for the post!!.....Anytime we can read about the Legend,Jack Hewitt,and 'still' behind the wheel, is just a Bonus!!....Keep'r gainst' da Fence Jack!!........Brucer'

7/27/08, 1:27 AM   #3
Jerry Spencer

This just about makes me sick, Jack you mean to much to too many people to risk what is left of your life let alone the people on the track with you. Does it take balls to say this to you on the web? NO because I will say it to your face, please stick with helping, coaching a young up and coming driver to be half of what you ARE. I know you want to race more than anything and I also know there is no therapy for true legends like yourself but please do me a personal favor and hang your helmet up for good. Josh said some stupid out of control punk would end someones racing career, please do not let it be yours you mean too much to too many people. The days of punching someone in the nose are sadly gone, so are the days of respect, you my friend deserve much more respect than some of these drivers are capable of giving. I say this with respect for you as a man and as a friend. :respect:

Jerry Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

7/27/08, 9:17 AM   #4
BuckWheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
This just about makes me sick, Jack you mean to much to too many people to risk what is left of your life let alone the people on the track with you. Does it take balls to say this to you on the web? NO because I will say it to your face, please stick with helping, coaching a young up and coming driver to be half of what you ARE. I know you want to race more than anything and I also know there is no therapy for true legends like yourself but please do me a personal favor and hang your helmet up for good. Josh said some stupid out of control punk would end someones racing career, please do not let it be yours you mean too much to too many people. The days of punching someone in the nose are sadly gone, so are the days of respect, you my friend deserve much more respect than some of these drivers are capable of giving. I say this with respect for you as a man and as a friend. :respect:

Jerry Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

That had to be hard to say but, I could not agree more!
Jack has nothing left to prove to his fans!
I only hope he proves to himself what he wants to quickly and hangs up the helmet for good.
Jack is a true living ledgend and as a true fan of his, I want to see his Ol' ugly smilin' face at the race track for a long time!

Me.....the only thing I'll ever say to Jack's face is "THANKS" :applaud:
I remember the long haired knock you right out of you shoes Hewitt all too well! :icon_smile_blackeye

7/27/08, 9:45 AM   #5
griffithracing

You can't blame a guy for doing something he truly loves to do! No matter how old a person is, they still have the desire! I say Go Jack Go!!

7/27/08, 12:36 PM   #6
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckWheat View Post
That had to be hard to say but, I could not agree more!
Same here. I always think of Jan Opperman in deals like this. I'm sure Oppy "wanted" to get back in a car. Maybe he even "needed" to race again to make a few bucks. But doing so ruined what was left of his life and the lives of his Mom and Dad.

Far be it from me to advise Jack Hewitt on anything. He and Lealand McSpadden are about the best I ever watched on dirt. But, there comes a time......

7/27/08, 3:15 PM   #7
pletchfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post

Jerry Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com
Wow, We totally agree with you Jerry. We were almost in tears when we read that he had climbed back into a car. We know the feeling all to well of a racer retired still LOVING the sport and wanting so BADLY to compete, but, there comes a time for everyone when you have to walk away. Jack you were injured really bad at North Vernon and you have never completely recovered from that, PLEASE don't take that chance again. We consider you a friend and we value you as that and we want to see you around for many many years to come. Hang that helmet up and hang onto your status as the legend you are. That is more than enough.

7/27/08, 4:11 PM   #8
gasitup71

...sorry folks...it was not my intention to upset anyone...just thought it was of interest that Hewitt raced again Friday night...

7/27/08, 6:48 PM   #9
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I personally agree with most of what everyone is saying, but one thing is for sure... racers will be racers... Jack Hewitt was straight-up born to drive a racecar. I would imagine that the ole saying "we only live once" might apply here. Jack strapping in again might just be about having a little fun.

7/27/08, 7:26 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Hes a grown man, Just because I believe he should retire doesn't mean he has too.

Chuck

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jack Hewitt...back in the saddle...