IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too much alcohol in oil
7/4/14, 3:19 PM   #1
Too much alcohol in oil
Dan4809

I have a TQ that is still running carbs on it. The problem is the alcohol is getting into the oil. I have the fuel pressure down to almost nothing and it's not flooding the motor. The amount of alcohol in the oil seems excessive. Any ideas on what to do to stop it.

7/4/14, 3:34 PM   #2
Jrp4554

Do you have a vent in the top of the valve cover?

7/4/14, 3:47 PM   #3
Re: Too much alcohol in oil
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/4/14 at 4:55 PM.

7/4/14, 8:40 PM   #4
Dan4809

Yes, and it will push alcohol into our vent can. I have it on a line on the right side of the car, wondering if turning left all the time is causing it to go into the vent can alot more. Still it's in the oil tank also.

7/4/14, 9:36 PM   #5
suzuki756

Leak down the engine . Piston ring problem

7/5/14, 12:39 AM   #6
tq 91

check jet size you are running motor to rich

7/5/14, 5:46 AM   #7
stoney

RE-HONE: She`s not sealed up

7/5/14, 8:50 AM   #8
badcoupe

def gonna need to re-ring it and a hone job. Have you had an issue with floats being too high and running over? Not sure what size jets you're running but .090" is typically a safe starting point and go up or down from there. Are the pilot jets plugged? If they are then it will run rich at low speed. A little bit of alky in the oil isn't unusual, but sounds like too much in your case.

7/5/14, 12:08 PM   #9
TQ29m

Could be any of the above, another culprit is too much time idling, engine temp too low, it takes about 200* to cook off the alcohol from the oil, the alky turns to a vapor, then condenses back to a liquid in your catch can, along with some oil, I usually set my fuel flow at 3/4 gal per minute, this is more than plenty, and also doesn't dump the floats, and the floats can be a problem, if you can find a set of brass floats, they don't soak up fuel like the foam floats do, a good ck is to take them all out, and put them in a small container of alky, and see how well they do, a lot of guys either remove them, or the bowls, and let them dry between times at the track, a lot of trouble, but these are old parts, and weren't coated for use with alky. Ck the bowl level by filling them with the pump, then remove them, and ck the level, should be 3/16 from the top without the float, all this stuff should keep it to a minimum. Could be your choice of oil too, not all lubricants work well with alcohol! Good luck! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/5/14 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add on

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/5/14, 7:21 PM   #10
TQ29m

Another old trick, if indeed the rings haven't seated, is to get yourself a can of BonAmi, and start the engine, and feed each cylinder about a half teaspoon of it, and bingo, you just seated your rings! If you used a synthetic oil to break in, this could be the problem. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too much alcohol in oil