IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Observations from an old fan
7/21/14, 9:46 PM   #1
Observations from an old fan
openwheelfan1

This is going to be kind of long, so I apologize in advance.

My wife and I attended the ISW finale at Tri-State Saturday night. It was only our 4th race in about the last 10 years. We are not new fans however. During the 70's, 80's and 90's we attended hundreds of sprint, midget and Silver Crown races at venues all over the country. Since it had been since 2008 since we had last attended a USAC sprint race, we were struck by several things:

1.) I am all for safety...we lost SO many drivers in the early years. With that said, I hate the fact that so many cars have just a 6"-8" opening on the right (crowd) side that the driver now looks through. And many cars now have a high left side too. Being able to see the driver was a big part of the excitement of going to the races. I am disappointed that today's youngsters will never be able to see the drivers at work.

2.) People on here complain to high heaven about the "tractor show" or "tractor parade" at Tri-State Speedway. Obviously, these folks never sat through an hour of track prep after qualifying and again before the feature at Terre Haute during the 70's and 80's. It was NOT uncommon for hot laps to begin at noon and the feature to checker at 5:30 or 6 PM. Tri-State admitted to "dragging their feet" a little and we still walked out 4 hrs after hot laps started.

3) What happened to interviewing the top qualifier? Are drivers too busy to be interviewed now? Or is it just that Tr-State doesn't interview anyone? Get the drivers out in front of the crowd!!

4.) From what we saw, the average age of the crowd in the backstretch grandstand was probably well in to the 40's. We saw very few people in their 20's and even fewer children. IMO this is very concerning for the future of the sport.

5.) Today's racers certainly are more physical with there equipment than the racers of the earlier era. Bumping and banging seem to be just a part of it today. Years ago that would get you a severe talking to if not worse from the officials, and certainly an agitated discussion would occur back int he pit area.

I am certainly not saying that we should go back to the way things were in the 70's and 80's! It was a dangerous era and too many great drivers were lost or severely injured. I do believe though that for the future of the sport a way needs to be found to contain costs and get more young people involved and attending races.

Steve

7/22/14, 4:38 AM   #2
Re: Observations from an old fan
TheGhostOfOpperman
Banned

7/22/14, 7:29 AM   #3
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfOpperman View Post
You have done 16 post without any of it being positive. Maybe you need to go haunt someother web site If you really had read Steves post he brought up some good problems that need addressed

7/22/14, 8:33 AM   #4
DAD

Openwheelfan1

As a mechanic I can tell you sometimes the biggest discovery of a car's problem are detected when the mechanic make the first test drive. Problems with a car's performance usually happen so gradually that the owner does not pay any attention to them. The mechanic on the other hand discovers them right away because they are so pronounced to him.

Because you were once a very avid race fan who has been away for some time, you like the mechanic pick up on these problems right away. Yor post should be read very carefully by people involved with racing. Some of these changes have happened very slowly and perhaps are the reason for the lack of new blood you noticed in the stands the other night. Racing has two distinct type of participants, those in the pits and on the race track and those in the grand stands. Both have a very different view of what racing should and should not be. The big problem is the racers in the pits and on the track do not take those fans in the grand stands view into account very often. They just can't find time to interact with the crowd.Racing is controlled by the back gate crowd, with very little concern for those people paying to come in the front gate.

Racing depends on the front gate crowd who also invest a great deal of time and money into our sport.

I have noticed the same things you have, and wish others would also. Discovering and admitting you have a problem is the first step in taking care of that problem.

Racing as we know and love can not exist without the front gate. We all>>> both front and back gate crowd>>>> need to work together to help bring about change to make going to the races fun for everyone.

Honest Dad himself

7/22/14, 8:50 AM   #5
Unlucky#9

I've always loved the meet and great with the driver segments. It helps the fan to put a face to the car, and it also helps the driver to get some free publicity. The only problem I see with that is it takes up more time in the show's schedule. Also I've noticed that promotion has suffered a lot as of late. Those in the general public usually have no idea that there might be a race going on not 5 miles from them that they would like to go watch, heck some might not even know there's a track within that same 5 miles from them. Is it really that hard for a track promoter to solicit a spot in the local news paper or radio network?

3 members like this post: captrat, DAD, Deansnuts
7/22/14, 9:46 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Just a observation and not to criticize any promoter here. I believe they are doing what they think is best for their track and $$

I notice a HUGE difference in the number of kids at tracks that allow the 10 or 12 and under in free, Have been told by many parents that used to go, It's just too expensive to haul the kids too now.

I don't know the answer and its only a thought, Wouldn't it be better to get the two 12-15 dollar adult admissions and all the concessions that go along with it than nothing at all?

Also know a couple tracks run kids club type things. For a couple bucks they get a coloring book, some other things and a chance at a pic in victory lane..

While this particular instance given is USAC $25 premium tickets and the fact that a third to a half of the attendees are doing most, if not the whole tour camping/motel. I can see where kids would add a huge expense to 9 days of travel and entertainment and therefore might not be relevant to the overall scheme of things.

I feel for promoters, There are so many options and getting people in the gates *Although I find the entertainment and competition totally worth the $$* is a daunting job indeed.

That being said. Sprintweek had stellar crowds and stellar car counts and again, Both probably have nothing to do with the overall scheme of things as generally counts have been down.

2 members like this post: DAD, jim goerge
7/22/14, 10:29 AM   #7
MIKE HEIMEL

OK Here Comes My 2 Cents On ISW !!! I am the official chaufuer for the President Of H.A.R.F. and we hit all of the races during ISW except I cant make the one at LPS because its my auction night.Poor Bob Has To Drive Himself lol. We have a great time taking advantage of the down time before Hot Laps and Quals. Every track does their best to make ISW and their weelky shows the best they can be. Yes, We Can All Find Something To B**CH About but put yourselves in the promoters shoes and you will feel different. Each track has the good and bad, But if you didnt think the show at KOKOMO with DD Bouncing Off The Wall More Than Once And Getting The Win Was Awesome maybe its time you saved your money and stayed home !! Not being Mean just putting in my 2 Cents. The Drivers From Every Race We Saw Winners Or Not Were ALL WINNERS !! One Last Comment, If you didnt think the Dunk Tank At B Ton Was Fan Interaction You Missed The Boat !!! Those Guys Are Still Dripping FroM The Dunking !! See You At A Track Soon And Before We Know It ISW Will Be Back Again !!!

7/22/14, 10:39 AM   #8
Rpracing1

Only bad thing about ISW, is that it is too short! JMO..............

5 members like this post: dirtcarfan, jim goerge, Mattmac05, speed bump, veteran68
7/22/14, 10:48 AM   #9
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE HEIMEL View Post
OK Here Comes My 2 Cents On ISW !!! I am the official chaufuer for the President Of H.A.R.F. and we hit all of the races during ISW except I cant make the one at LPS because its my auction night.Poor Bob Has To Drive Himself lol. We have a great time taking advantage of the down time before Hot Laps and Quals. Every track does their best to make ISW and their weelky shows the best they can be. Yes, We Can All Find Something To B**CH About but put yourselves in the promoters shoes and you will feel different. Each track has the good and bad, But if you didnt think the show at KOKOMO with DD Bouncing Off The Wall More Than Once And Getting The Win Was Awesome maybe its time you saved your money and stayed home !! Not being Mean just putting in my 2 Cents. The Drivers From Every Race We Saw Winners Or Not Were ALL WINNERS !! One Last Comment, If you didnt think the Dunk Tank At B Ton Was Fan Interaction You Missed The Boat !!! Those Guys Are Still Dripping FroM The Dunking !! See You At A Track Soon And Before We Know It ISW Will Be Back Again !!!
I think you need to draw a distinction between constructive criticism (i.e. evaluation) and "********". In every work or recreational experience there must be a place for objective evaluation or there will no improvement nor will problems ever be addressed.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, larsonfan
7/22/14, 11:06 AM   #10
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 14

From another old fan. Just spent an enjoyable weekend with friends at the Grove. Helped the local economy. Enjoyed that beautiful area of Pennsylvania for my fifth Grove race of the year. So what if it's 430 miles from home. Visited the EMMR as we always do. Saw Lance win his 300th victory. Saw the Posse beat the Outlaws. Talked racing with the neighboring drunks during the three hour rain delay. Time passes quickly with quality conversation. And when we get old and are sitting on the porch, we plan to be talking about the races we saw, not the ones we didn't see. Wait a minute! We're in our seventies and already are doing that. But we're adding NEW stories.

3 members like this post: davidm, fish, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Observations from an old fan