IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > what hurts sprintcar racing
7/18/17, 6:19 AM   #31
Re: what hurts sprintcar racing
Backitin

By the way personal attacks on a subject just show your ignorance. That much I get.
I don't have to taste poo to know it stinks. I have plenty more going in my life then to have to love all the crap racing they try to shove down my throat. If you love all racing your mind set is much more simple then mine, I envy you being so simple and easy to entertain.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, mc/rider
7/18/17, 7:48 AM   #32
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic about this being post of the year. Total contradiction and makes no sense.
Reading is fundamental.(remember that from the 70's). Like he said, each class delivers its own special elements and tendencies and if you understand this before you go to the track, you are less likely to be disappointed. Its the same with tracks, we have a facility in South Georgia called Golden Isles Speedway, it use to be a 5/8 mile, D-shaped, peanut oil based banked track. It was dirt but soaked it peanut oil and looked like asphalt and had lines painted on it with no walls except by the stands. Anyway this track had so much traction and was so big that the late models would top out at 175MPH down the back. No joke. The racing was mostly single file, but the velocity was impressive to see. I use to go there twice a year, but I understood what I was going to see before hand. Cherokee speedway in SC was similar in that it generated high top speeds(150+) and lots of tire wear over longer races, so being fast and patient was important to win. I can appreciate different type cars and tracks with different attributes too, without comparing apples to oranges, but I do prefer apples.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, ModernDayDrifter
7/18/17, 9:28 AM   #33
Hamby812

Get a 3 class national tour. Winged sprints, non wing sprints, and LM or Mods. I'm not talking about someone going out and doing this I'm thinking WoO, USAC, and UMP all collaborate to bring together a national tour. Run between 50-60 races. All purses are the same each night for each class. I personally prefer non wing racing. But if I heard of something like this coming to my area knowing each class pays say 10-15k to win I'd have my butt in a seat. I'd be willing to
Travel. I don't know that I've ever seen WoO and Usac on the same card. I've seen back to back nights but I personally don't go to the WoO portion of 4 crown. Why can't something like this be done. Make one huge brand.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/18/17, 9:58 AM   #34
flagboy55

The last 2 or 3 years Eldora has has the "let's race 2" weekend with both USA and WOO on the card both Friday and Saturday. It's wonderful! And maybe one of the best bargains in racing!

4 members like this post: 1BiGracefan89, Kydehart, PIT CART, Simon_says17
7/18/17, 10:01 AM   #35
illinifan

Race Count This Year: 10

Eldora has the "let's race two" in May with the WoO and USAC sprints running both nights and it's one of my favorite weekends. I come from wing country in central Illinois. To me it's the best of both worlds with the best of the best of both disciplines. You get the high speeds of the outlaws and the slide job, side by side racing of USAC. To me it's all great. I loved the race at Kokomo for speedweek and was just as satisfied when I left fairbury after the MOWA/IRA show last Saturday. The buddy I took to it thought it was awesome and can't wait for more now! I'm glad I at least have a simple enough mind to enjoy both styles of sprints.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart, ModernDayDrifter, Simon_says17
7/18/17, 10:10 AM   #36
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I'll say this about Winged Sprint car racing don't gauge it all off of what you see from the touring series. The weekly PA scene is by far a much better product. I flat out will not attend any Winged Sprint car race that use's time trials to set the line up, that is often the worst example of it. The way the tracks here handicap the heats and feature never putting the top or fast cars up front. If the fast or top guy is going to win he's likely going to start in the 5th or 6th row. I've seen a lot of races won with passes in the last lap or two using this format. Now I'll admit it's not wingless sprint racing, but it's a heck of a lot better that sitting at home watching NASCAR, IndyCar or F1 on TV.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
7/18/17, 10:11 AM   #37
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Last edited by GYATK94; 2/22/23 at 12:06 PM.

6 members like this post: Kydehart, ModernDayDrifter, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, PJ Wright, Puppy
7/18/17, 10:12 AM   #38
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
many (not all) promoters don't promote anymore....as in...bring a friend to the track night...dollar dog nights...Big wheel races...anything to sell extra tickets to NEW faces...anything to get a new fan in the gate...keeping in mind you need to retain the familiar faces..

Racing has lots of competition with "other" activities. Gotta keep it interesting.

Social media is a promoters friend.
I agree wholeheartedly with this point. There are a few tracks in Indiana that fully embrace the promotional side of all of this. For instance:

- Joe Spiker at Lincoln Park Speedway does phenomenal job trying to get fans in the stands. First of all, he scheduled 30 or so dates for his track this season. When the season begins and I'm making my schedule for the season and have a free Saturday, I don't have to worry about whether LPS is running or not. I think that makes it more friendly for fans that aren't as involved on social media or tech-savvy. Joe schedules the "Little Feet Challenge" events where he gives away bikes to kids, does the cookout during ISW, etc.

- As for the special nights, I'd say the most involved with those has to be Lawrenceburg. Scout Night, Little League Night, Fire/EMS/Police Night, Veterans Night, etc. Hell, they even have CDL Night. Not sure why other tracks wouldn't do that kind of thing to get potential new fans in the stands. I haven't finished my MBA yet but sure seems like good business to me and it doesn't come at the price of alienating your current fan base. Additionally, Lawrenceburg like LPS is almost always running, if there's a big sprint race elsewhere they'll run LMs instead but that track is hardly ever dark on a Saturday nights.

It's also no secret that the vast majority of sprint car fans are older. When you look at the demographics of the crowd it's easy to see that the younger generations are underrepresented. Tracks need to find ways to get the younger kids in the stands. Maybe the chance of winning a brand new bike or getting to go with your entire Little League team is just the thing that will get a young child to the race just once, get him or her hooked, and have them begging their parents to go back moving forward.

Lastly, as Scooter pointed out, the internet and social media is definitely more of a friend than foe. With one post on Facebook or Twitter you're instantly letting thousands of people know about an event. Why would a track not take advantage of a free marketing tool that is used by more Americans than not?

I do want to point out that promoters or tracks that don't do these things aren't necessarily "hurting" sprint car racing but they certainly aren't helping it either.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart, oppweld
7/18/17, 11:37 AM   #39
wingless1

As I read this thread, I am discussing sprint car racing with my 21 year old daughter, as I type this. She has seen non-wing sprints literally from coast to coast, Ventura and Perris to Tampa and North Carolina and many points in between. Neither she or her 17 year old brother have any interest in auto racing. Me and my wife are the same age, late 50's, and are life long midget and sprint car folks. My wife's brother still races midgets in Colorado and has for over 30 years. All that being said, I just asked her what she thinks about sprint car racing, this was her answer..."Well I think about sitting in the stands for a long time, loud noise, always looking the wrong direction when a crash or spin out happens and everybody yells, and the hot dogs in the silver wrappers, thats what I think about when I hear Sprint car racing"......My house is full of auto racing stuff, and my kids simply are not interested, my wife's brother has a college age daughter who has less interest in racing than my kids, she has maybe seen her own father race 2 or 3 times in her life. So I guess young ones just don't get into the sport the way we did, I can't explain it.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, ModernDayDrifter, Will Shunk
7/18/17, 11:58 AM   #40
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
The last 2 or 3 years Eldora has has the "let's race 2" weekend with both USA and WOO on the card both Friday and Saturday. It's wonderful! And maybe one of the best bargains in racing!
Definitely a great bargain! Best of both worlds for a reasonable price. My wife and I have gone all 3 years and camped for both nights. It's got a permanent spot in our May calendar.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > what hurts sprintcar racing