IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > this year and next
10/23/16, 10:27 PM   #1
this year and next
flagboy55

I was scolded once on here for talking about a race that I couldn't attend and it got me thinking. I don't know about anyone else but I have a job and family commitments that only allow me to make so many race's a year, especially those require long trips or multi day shows. I had a good year this year and got to more race's then I have in some time. This year was the first time I have made to Tri State speedway after years of wanting to finally got it done and it didn't disappoint. That however also made me want to go to some other first time tracks at the risk of not going to some that I get to with some regularity. I've never been to Knoxville, Williams Grove and the rock and roll gold cup sounds like fun. The only event that I won't give up is the 4 crown. Obviously there are factors in deciding which I will schedule for next year. How do you guys who aren't retired or have nothing else to do decide what races you will be going to next year?

3 members like this post: davidm, miller51b, nathans1012
10/24/16, 4:42 AM   #2
Re: this year and next

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

I feel your pain. Lots of races get passed up that I would like to make. A few races get vacation dates ( chili bowl, 500/kokomo) but mostly just try to look out a few weeks and try to match up days off with the best race available. This may mean just one or two days of any midget or sprint week on a wed or Thursday. Someday I hope to join the camping crowd for these weeks but just cant do now. Also try to get some second shifts after any shows with long drives.

Years back I realized there where plenty of cool tracks within 3,4,5 6? hours drive. hitting new tracks is fun. I've tried to get to one or two news ones each year. This year was badlands. I liked what I saw there and next years rock in roll gold cup will also include USAC midgets. It may make my vacation request list. You may want to consider that one. Late July next year. Knoxville is something you should see at least once. I have been going down for just Saturday. Been buying decent seats online just a few days before once I know I can go.

As you say there it lots of factors in deciding. I Had my share of birthdays graduations and sick days get in the way this year. Like I said a few get vacation days but mostly just look ahead for my next free days and search sanction and track schedules for the best option based on distance, weather, support classes. I follow midgets and sprints non and winged and usually can find something cool within a few hours.

2 members like this post: davidm, flagboy55
10/24/16, 8:47 AM   #3
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I typically wait until next years schedule comes out and then start building my plans for the upcoming season.

I'm going to end up with about the same number of race dates as last year, but I didn't get to travel to anything outside my area and did not get to any new tracks. My son's music schedule any those travel cost really put the breaks no my racing travels this year. I'm really shooting to get back to Indiana next years with Haubstadt high on my list for a new track next season.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/24/16, 6:10 PM   #4
Jonr

As with the other posters, my travel budget comes after all of the kids activities have been paid. Thus, I can only really afford one big trip a year. My wife got tired of buying me stuff that I didn't want/need for my birthday. So, we call my racing trip my birthday present. Every so often, there will be a post of top ten tracks. Top ten races. Top ten bucket races. etc. I will read those and look for places that are not on my radar.

I will also look for things that are close to my home. (Kansas City) Which puts the Knoxville Nationals, Belleville Midget Nationals, Gold Crown and Iron Man high on my rotation list.

Finally, I have a list of things that I want to do. Currently on my list is the Indiana Sprint and Midget week and the Illinois Midget week. I am also starting to think about a trip to California, but I am still trying which race to go?

As the year progresses, as the funds grow/shrink and I have an understanding of vacation days, I will make a decision on whether to hit one of the regional shows or making one of my bucket list tracks.

Finally, if you are a sprint car fan, you have to do Knoxville. It is an experience unto it's self.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
10/24/16, 6:56 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Previous to my Leg Condition and the previous two years of not getting to many races and mostly local at that. Id put 12,000 miles a year running around Indiana chasing sprint races.

This year I switched up a bit and stayed in Ohio A lot. New to me this year were Mount Pillier, and Portsmouth Raceway Park, Made a couple at Millstream and Waynesfield. First visit to Limaland in decades (Thanks Doublecheckers) Atomic among other ususal haunts like LPS, Kokomo, Burg, Bloomington, Eldora a couple times.

Next year, NE Ohio and PA probably with BOSS. If not some of the eastern storm.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/24/16 at 6:58 PM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, scottyCbus
10/24/16, 7:49 PM   #6
treecitytornado

Love all those tracks, Chuck! Montpelier and Atomic for sure! Hoping to make Portsmouth in 2017.

10/24/16, 8:02 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Love all those tracks, Chuck! Montpelier and Atomic for sure! Hoping to make Portsmouth in 2017.
If it's as tacky as it was for boss, Be prepared to go faster than you may have ever gone in a sprinter before. It was 101* at Portsmouth and that track never took rubber anywhere all night.

1 member likes this post: sprinter14
10/24/16, 8:06 PM   #8
treecitytornado

It will never be faster than a good Eldora or Atomic! I'm still looking forward to another new track though!
Last edited by treecitytornado; 10/24/16 at 8:10 PM.

10/27/16, 2:43 PM   #9
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

I will always go to the Run Two for Mothers day at Eldora in May, King's Royal in July, Kokomo Smackdown in August, 4 Crown in September. But each year my other show's are just kind of random. But I would like to hit up some New tracks in 2017 like Tri-City, Williams Grove, Atomic, Montpelier, Florence, Port Royal, and many others.

10/28/16, 4:27 PM   #10
JoshHanson18

Race Count This Year: 19

I live in the Chicago area, and the fact that non-wing sprint cars don't get any closer than 3 hours from where I live meant that I did a lot of traveling this year (Kokomo & Terre Haute are both 3-3.5 hours away). Next year, I think I'm going to try to follow a rule of only one race per month over 3 hours away (unless it's a multi-race weekend where I can camp), and stay more local for the rest.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > this year and next