IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson FIRED!!
4/19/20, 8:44 AM   #31
Tumey's 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoors View Post
TUMEYS 55

"No sense railing against our culture today, it is what it is and violating the norms carries consequences"

Please elaborate what you mean by "NORMS" that is a broad statement and needs to be explained fully. Whats "NORMAL" for me may or may not be "NORMAL" to you, so I would like some clarification on this
It isn’t hard, if you are a public figure and use the N word your life will change. If someone where I work used the N word they would likely be fired. These are the norms of society today. I know of someone who was fired for sending an inappropriate joke over email. This is our society. Your norm may be different but you will face consequences if you ignore these norms.

1 member likes this post: JackSam40
4/19/20, 8:59 AM   #32
Tumey's 55

I should add that on most fan sites a couple of the posts above, using racist language, would get you banned. There is freedom of speech but not freedom from consequences of that speech.

1 member likes this post: captrat
4/19/20, 9:02 AM   #33
Tumey's 55

Correction, the posts with racist comments may have been in the other thread and appear to be gone now.

4/19/20, 10:05 AM   #34
Re: Larson FIRED!!
nodoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55 View Post
It isn’t hard, if you are a public figure and use the N word your life will change. If someone where I work used the N word they would likely be fired. These are the norms of society today. I know of someone who was fired for sending an inappropriate joke over email. This is our society. Your norm may be different but you will face consequences if you ignore these norms.

So what you are saying is DOUBLE STANDARDS are ok, I understand now

4/19/20, 10:11 AM   #35
Re: Larson FIRED!!
Tim

Quote:
TUMEYS 55

"No sense railing against our culture today, it is what it is and violating the norms carries consequences"

Please elaborate what you mean by "NORMS" that is a broad statement and needs to be explained fully. Whats "NORMAL" for me may or may not be "NORMAL" to you, so I would like some clarification on this
Folks,

Here are the current "norms" as I see them:

I know of no large, publicly traded organization that does not require some sort of diversity/inclusion training beginning at the highest levels of the organization and passing down to the entry level personnel. My first encounter with such training was prior to 1990. This training is meant to educate all personnel as to what offends each facet of our society and what consequences will occur should these rules be broken. I have gone through this training multiple times due to changing employers as well as the fact that what offends has been an evolving target. Mr. Larson's offense was the first item discussed in the initial training.

These publicly traded organizations are not only tasked with keeping their customer happy and buying their products, they are also tasked with keeping their investors happy and investing in their organization. I previously thought that the customers of any particular CEO was the folks that bought their product. I was educated a few years ago, however, that the actual customer of the CEO is the investor, and he will do whatever he must to keep that investor because, quite frankly, they cannot continue to exist without investors. And remember, investors include all sectors of society, not only the customers that use the particular product. This means that many more people can be offended by what a company "spokesperson" says, which may put investor relations in some jeopardy.

While it is easy to throw the CGR organization under the bus for firing Mr. Larson, let's examine a bit further. I believe we can agree that the 42 team cannot compete without sponsorship. The corporations sponsoring the team are by and large publicly traded organizations with the above-mentioned tasks/goals in mind at all times. If CGR decides to back Mr. Larson against the sponsors' desires and the sponsors pull out, the 42 team's longevity is in peril. Should folding of the team result it not only affects the driver but perhaps a few dozen other CGR personnel and their livelihoods. The question this presents to the organization is whether backing one person is worth the risk to a few dozen other team members and their families.

So, this is the "norm" as I currently see it. Folks may not like it but it is the reality at this time. Whether it is "fair" or not will be debated forever but, as a comparison, in American football it is probably not "fair" for the defense to be able to run all over their side of the field prior to the snap while the offense must be set (other than one person) but, that is the rules of the game. And you either follow the rules or find another game to play.

As I see it.

Tim Simmons

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, Tony74
4/19/20, 2:36 PM   #36
TQ29m

I think I agree with this approach, but it takes a lot of years, being able to over look the other way. It all involves money, bottom line. A company can not grow without investors, here's where the stock market gets involved, the more tickets are sold, the more money is filtered down to the investors pocket, like it or not, that's where it ends up, and that's why when something happens like this, the trickle down doesn't get to the bottom of the investors, some call it stocks and bonds, others just pay a broker to handle it, and it just gets worse, till the investors are only interested in the profit side, and lose interest rapid travel if they no longer have have big dividend checks rolling in, to be able to retire like so many do. I got somewhat interested in this several years ago, when I became a full fleged business owner, I had been given one stock share in a company my mother worked for, worth just under 7 bucks, but thru the way it works, 30 years later it had grown to something I could use, but, having been busy with the business, I hadn't kept up with what was going on, and tho my meager investment had indeed grown, in a whipstitch it was gone, along with my original 7 bucks, so much for that, but that's how it works, you need money to make money, so what happens along the way, looses it's value, and in most cases, money becomes the winner. Just saying.

4/20/20, 6:48 PM   #37
Tumey's 55

Quote:
So what you are saying is DOUBLE STANDARDS are ok, I understand now
I have no idea what double standard you are seeing. Mr Simmons explains it well.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson FIRED!!