Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske
11/6/19, 2:09 PM   #41
Non wing lover

Only one for the short tracks chuck Ed carpenter

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jdull99, jim goerge
11/6/19, 2:45 PM   #42
Re: IMS Sold to Penske
SPRINTCAR

The Indy 500 will be around long after we are gone.

11/6/19, 2:54 PM   #43
TQ29m

Wonder about the museum, was it a part of the purchase, or a separate entity, most of the items in there are on loan, I would guess that could be another negotiable part of the purchase, but might be a little bit more complicated. There is some strange wording in some of the agreements.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/6/19, 3:44 PM   #44
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
To me, the bottom line is that if the track must change hands, it's not going to fall into the hands of someone who loves and reveres the place more than Roger does.

I concur. I would rather Penske buy IMS than some foreign entity that doesn't truly understand or respect what the place means. You think everybody's up in arms now, can you imagine if the track was rechristened "Barclays Brickyard", or if Etihad Airlines was painted across the yard of bricks?

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, nathans1012, superstock30
11/6/19, 8:14 PM   #45
Therealether

I heard $2 billion thrown around. Which seems like a lot until you realize Penske Corp. generates $32 billion annually.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/6/19, 8:21 PM   #46
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
If Tony had failed as bad as u make it sound, the last few years of the 500 would not have had full grandstands, the series itself would not be on perpetual rise (ratings, attendance at other tracks, car owners, etc), and there would be nothing left to sell...but ya, I didn't really think Tony would "invest" in USAC and I think most of "us" believe the dirt track on the infield is there to say; but I'm afraid Roger won't do much more than drive by the USAC office building...time will tell...
I think he means "the Split"...
I for one was all for the IRL and its supposed mission, I couldn't understand why someone like Robin Miller was so against it. But now looking back in hindsight, it was a terrible thing for our beloved top level of open wheel racing in this country. I can see now how STRONG Cart was just before the split and how even now it hasn't regained that level of following.

11/6/19, 8:41 PM   #47
Joe Schaub

Penske Auto Group is a publicly traded company so I would imagine that amount could be found

11/6/19, 9:29 PM   #48
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
I for one was all for the IRL and its supposed mission, I couldn't understand why someone like Robin Miller was so against it. But now looking back in hindsight, it was a terrible thing for our beloved top level of open wheel racing in this country. I can see now how STRONG Cart was just before the split and how even now it hasn't regained that level of following.
I liked the IRL deal. Grass roots racers had a chance at The 500. That is what American TV viewers wanted and still want to see....Grass roots racers in the Big One, The 500. Not Penelope Pitstop with the checkbook. I like Roger but I wish he would have tried to get some American short track racers into a development program for indy cars, its not like he didn't have the cash, and it would have paid off in bigger dividends just through the fan base that would have been created.
I like The 500 , but that's the only Indy car race that I'll watch.
Now I'm waiting for that brickyard dude to come on here and tell me that I'm not a real American because I don't like progress.
Sorry (not really) for the rant

4 members like this post: duel, ISF, jdull99, jim goerge
11/6/19, 10:53 PM   #49
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schaub View Post
Penske Auto Group is a publicly traded company so I would imagine that amount could be found
Penske Auto Group may be a publicly traded company, but the buyer in this transaction was Penske Entertainment, which I assume is privately held, since at the press conference they specifically said this was a transaction between 2 privately owned companies.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/6/19, 10:55 PM   #50
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
I know what he meant...& I realize how strong CART was; but for every F-1 driver (most who came AFTER their days there were done - like Emmo, Teo, Roberto, Danny, Eddie, etc - I know Nigel was here right at the end of this prime) there were plenty of Hiros, Dean Halls, Dennis Vitolos, etc...if CART's plan (some international) was sustainable and so good, it shoulda withstood the IRL's 11 oval races. AND they had the opportunity to take Tony George in, on their board or whatever it was - BEFORE he started the IRL, and THEY did not!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske