IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske
11/5/19, 10:11 PM   #31
Re: IMS Sold to Penske
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Apparently a few of you missed the press conference and are still beating the Penske hates dirt racing dead horse.

-Tony George for the first time since the split fully admitted that the family can't take the series and race back to the level it once was. They no longer have the clout they once did, and what clout remained after the first split was totally lost with the "Vision".

-Tony reached out to Penske at Laguna Seca. Why? Because he is the one man with the one organization that has skin in this game that can get what he failed miserably in doing done.

-For me and many others this is finally full admittance that he screwed up in 1996, he may have won a couple of battles when CART owners finally came back and then ChampCar folded, but ultimately he lost the war....a war that never had to be waged. His decisions, and no I don't hold CART owners totally without blame as they could have ended it just as quickly, resulted in him urinating a ton of family money into one of the many IMS men's restroom troughs and alienated what was once of strong fanbase full of people from all walks of the multiple racing genres rather than just one.

Will Roger get rid of the BC39? I highly doubt it. He said in his press conference that one of his visions(and like Mario Andretti stated yesterday, Penske's "Vision" will come with actual real world working actions as opposed to just a word meant to spin up a base) he wants to turn this back into a world class facility. In doing so that means it will be used and not just for one month a year.

Will he ever live to see this fully grow to the levels he dreams of? Statistics say no, but I highly suspect the few of of you that poo poo this and hold a cold heavy heart for anything Penske and CART will stand back and wonder just why the Hell 1996 had to happen to begin with after all is said and done. Had someone not had "vision", we more than likely aren't talking about this today.

All you need to know is the fact that Foyt, Andretti, and Bobby freaking Unser are on board with this. That alone speaks volumes, and with grandson out of the way I suspect words aren't going to be minced. Tons of people lost jobs and money due to those decisions of the early to mid 90's and one of oldest top level racing series in the world that was just as big as NASCAR and could have given Bernie a run for his money was reduced to a cracked and broken shell of it's former self. There is nowhere but up with this decision, and no, Tony isn't going take this money and sock it into USAC.
And apparently your "ALL CART good, Penske is god" is the final word? Hardly.

You have any, any shred of evidence that Roger has much regard for dirt track racing? Has he run a dirt track, a dirt track team?

Roger Penske is a good business man, but hardly a friend or supporter of short track America. Heck, the guy has NEVER run an Indy Lights team, you know, what is supposed to be the feeder series, the stepping stone, the Road to Indy.

I don't hate Penske and I think he's a great guy to have running a business. He has more resources than the Hulman George family. However, you gloss over a lot of things other than the money (alleged figures) Tony George dropped. How about the $300 million the sisters lost to Bernie Madoff, only a portion of which was recovered.

Or that the business was sold to an octegenraian who can be expected to live how long. Or that he has his own sons with baggage. Or, that he once said that the wealthy patrons of the St. Pete GP were the kind of people Indy Car needed to attract? Because I'm not a millionaire, is my ticket money somehow worth less?

Blab on all you want about 1996-there were huge mistakes on both sides and CART owners acted (and some like Yoda still act) as arrogant as NFL owners. But I keep in mind Roger Penske was part of an organization that used some questionable tactics to attack people in 1978 and 1979, and part of an organization that boycotted the Speedway in 1996 and ran a race against the Indianapolis 500. None of those things had to happen as well. Plus, here is a guy who protested vehemently the 25/8 rule and now wants guaranteed spots in the 500. Hows that NASCAR charter system working?

I think Roger will be a great steward of IMS, the facility. Say what you want about Tony George, but he took great care of the place too. But I hold out no hope that Roger will ever try to keep or enhance a connection with the dirt track fans who have been buying 500 tickets for 30, 40, 50 years and I really doubt that his won't have advantages in the ICS when the rules are written.

11/5/19, 10:29 PM   #32
flagboy55

Brickyard, obviously you’re very knowledgeable of the Speedway, but you seem to have an axe to grind. You say, and I agree with the endorsements you quoted, but I think those are relative, in that Penske buying it is much better than an investment firm with obliviousness to the sport.
Honestly I don’t think the BC39 means anything in the big picture. I would doubt its profitable, and would not be if not attached to the nascar race. I’m sure this is probably the best transaction possible, but I think it will have its share of pain. I didn’t think CART cared about it’s fans, Roger was part of that if I remember correctly? I hope I’m wrong

6 members like this post: duel, ISF, jim goerge, jonboat15, Kydehart, PJ Wright
11/5/19, 11:03 PM   #33
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Apparently a few of you missed the press conference and are still beating the Penske hates dirt racing dead horse.

-Tony George for the first time since the split fully admitted that the family can't take the series and race back to the level it once was. They no longer have the clout they once did, and what clout remained after the first split was totally lost with the "Vision".

-Tony reached out to Penske at Laguna Seca. Why? Because he is the one man with the one organization that has skin in this game that can get what he failed miserably in doing done.

-For me and many others this is finally full admittance that he screwed up in 1996, he may have won a couple of battles when CART owners finally came back and then ChampCar folded, but ultimately he lost the war....a war that never had to be waged. His decisions, and no I don't hold CART owners totally without blame as they could have ended it just as quickly, resulted in him urinating a ton of family money into one of the many IMS men's restroom troughs and alienated what was once of strong fanbase full of people from all walks of the multiple racing genres rather than just one.

Will Roger get rid of the BC39? I highly doubt it. He said in his press conference that one of his visions(and like Mario Andretti stated yesterday, Penske's "Vision" will come with actual real world working actions as opposed to just a word meant to spin up a base) he wants to turn this back into a world class facility. In doing so that means it will be used and not just for one month a year.

Will he ever live to see this fully grow to the levels he dreams of? Statistics say no, but I highly suspect the few of of you that poo poo this and hold a cold heavy heart for anything Penske and CART will stand back and wonder just why the Hell 1996 had to happen to begin with after all is said and done. Had someone not had "vision", we more than likely aren't talking about this today.

All you need to know is the fact that Foyt, Andretti, and Bobby freaking Unser are on board with this. That alone speaks volumes, and with grandson out of the way I suspect words aren't going to be minced. Tons of people lost jobs and money due to those decisions of the early to mid 90's and one of oldest top level racing series in the world that was just as big as NASCAR and could have given Bernie a run for his money was reduced to a cracked and broken shell of it's former self. There is nowhere but up with this decision, and no, Tony isn't going take this money and sock it into USAC.
Did anyone from CART ever have "final full admittance that they screwed up" by losing/letting personalities/great racers like Ken Schrader, Tim Richmond, Sammy Swindell, Robby Gordon, John Andretti (even!), Wally Dallenbach Jr, etc; all go to NASCAR (Swindell ran trucks for one year...lol)? And that their ultimate fail mighta been not having seats for Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Eric Gordon, Robbie Stanley, etc???

Regardless, from the bit of the press conference I did see, Tony George did NOT look defeated or that Roger saved him from the poor house. Seemed like he was ok with it all and looking forward to the next stages of his life, as well as all of this (hopefully as a partner in Ed's team for him???).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 11/5/19 at 11:21 PM.

5 members like this post: Blackduce, jim goerge, Joe Schaub, mc/rider, PJ Wright
11/5/19, 11:34 PM   #34
Tumey's 55

I didn’t realize how old Penske is, 82. I wonder what his succession plan is for the Speedway since it is not likely he will run it for long. Not trying to be negative but will he be around long enough to make great things happen?

2 members like this post: duel, ISF
11/6/19, 12:03 AM   #35
duel

That's what i don't get. Tony G is much younger. It must be a figure that the Hulman's couldn't resist. I think and hope RP will be a good steward though. The guy you have to give him credit. He brought the super bowl to downtown Detroit and pulled it off. Long gone are the high speed ovals. Yet the road race people don't complain about the speeds at Indy. The cart people must be doing back flips over this news. I am not thrilled over this but hey these are my thoughts.

1 member likes this post: tamati
11/6/19, 1:10 AM   #36
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
That's what i don't get. Tony G is much younger. It must be a figure that the Hulman's couldn't resist. I think and hope RP will be a good steward though. The guy you have to give him credit. He brought the super bowl to downtown Detroit and pulled it off. Long gone are the high speed ovals. Yet the road race people don't complain about the speeds at Indy. The cart people must be doing back flips over this news. I am not thrilled over this but hey these are my thoughts.
During an interview with Tony George he indicated that they approached Roger. I doubt we ever know how much he paid.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: duel
11/6/19, 10:21 AM   #37
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I won't claim to know the numbers, but there are Indy Car fans that lost interest because of CART's actions, that came back when the IRL was formed.

I was one of them.

11/6/19, 10:46 AM   #38
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Me, i followed Indy cars back in the 70s-80 when the men in the cars were the same ones at eldora terre haute, the miles.

Tried to stay interested into the 90s.

To me that sport has nothing in common with short track racing anymore even if a few came from it.

6 members like this post: duel, Indy1808, interpreter66, jdull99, jim goerge, Kydehart
11/6/19, 12:35 PM   #39
ThePurple73

If the Speedway was to be sold, there probably is not a better buyer than Roger Penske.

I think F1 coming back to Indy will fly.

I think the Indy500 is almost bigger than any person or organization, so how do you keep improving? I think Roger is that type of person, you can probably trust your great grand children will be hearing "Back Home Again In Indiana" with a race following.

5 members like this post: duel, jdull99, Jerry Shaw, jjones752, nathans1012
11/6/19, 2:07 PM   #40
Non wing lover

Now your gone again right?

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske