IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Question: Cost of racing a mini sprint
1/14/15, 6:49 PM   #1
Question: Cost of racing a mini sprint
Cstevens

I recently purchased a mini sprint and plan on racing in the MMSA this season. I have a few companies in mind that i would like to ask for sponsorship, but im not sure how much to ask for. Im just looking to cover cost of things like travel, and tires. I would like to hear from others about what it costs.

1/14/15, 10:09 PM   #2
clb

My first year was last year running with amsa and a couple non wing shows at montpelier with the midgets. I started off with 2 new right rears and 2 new left rears and one set of fronts. Tires lasted pretty much the whole season but could have used at least another right rear. Figure for a oil change every 2 races and filter change. Fuel per race 3 gallons of alcohol or so. If running gas 2 gallons just estimate. Pit passes, fuel for truck and generator. Don't forget parts to fix a bent or broken part.
Last edited by clb; 1/14/15 at 10:57 PM.

1/15/15, 12:47 AM   #3
Bradleyracing86

Sponsors are tough... Remember 2 things.. 1.) don't sell your self short... 2.) take what you can get... Sounds like a complete contradiction i know.. Here's the deal don't let a guy beat you up over $100 sponsor, especially when you have $35 bucks in his sticker. Relate to them on their terms, where else do they advertise, and what do they spend in other places.. Race fans and supporters are 95% loyal to their drivers brands. You should offer a variety of options, bronze, silver, gold... 200-500, 600-750, 1000 and above... Dont be afraid to take payments. When I say "take what you can get" I'm referring to product and service sponsors... Maybe the local pizza shop gives you a free pizza every race night, that's 25-30 bucks you don't spend on food, maybe you can get a fuel card from a local business. These type of sponsors are the best at our level.

Good luck and hopefully we see you at the track.

Figure 6 tires for the year, 7 gals of Alky a night, maybe $50 a night in the engine kitty. Then travel expense. MMSA usually pays $60 to start.
Andy
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 1/15/15 at 12:48 AM.

1/15/15, 6:08 PM   #4
fenixfire81

I buy midget one run tires for 20 30 bucks you can get a half a season on them unless you go to a track the really eats tires I change oil every week and filter for about 70, 25 to 50 for pit passes and 20 for allky now that's if you don't break anything and that's not including anything in the cooler or food or travel I have a small truck and small open trailer so I can go pretty far on not a lot of cash if you have a big truck and hauler it's going to cost you last season was my first season had lots of small issues that made me pull off the track and I averaged 70 80 dollars back at the end of the night, as far as sponsors get that out of your mind if you can find them great but you need to set up some sort of budget on your dollar and any money from sponsors as a bonus but remember sponsors want a pretty car that means new good looking wings and a car that has a wrap on it a wrap cost about 600 and wings ain't cheap either your talking 500 600 for both front and top and all the mounts flip the car and there junk and then you need to have the new ones wrapped hope this helps you out but when you look for sponsors have a proposal written up for primary and secondary sponsors with a idea of how there name will be pasted on the car how big and where as well as dollar amounts you are looking for I always shoot for the moon on it you can always negotiate a smaller amount you just can't negotiate more money than what's on your proposal also let them know if you are also doing parades or car shows sponsors like that stuff gets there name out more as well as tell them your willing to do promo days at there businesses park the car out side to help them drum up buissnes that way lots of bars do big events so you can apeal to them with that that when they do there big events the car will be there again hope all this helps.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Question: Cost of racing a mini sprint