IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Roosting" another driver?
8/15/14, 12:22 AM   #1
"Roosting" another driver?
chathamracefan

One of the notions that has been thrown out is that it is a fairly common practice for a driver to roost another one when he is mad at him. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I've been to a lot of races (admittedly mostly dirt late models but a fair number of open wheel shows). I honestly don't think I've ever seen this allegedly common practice.

I've seen guys throw helmets, jump on stopped car hoods, climb in the flagman's stand to argue with him (Clayton at Jacksonville) and various other forms of arguments and fights but not this.

Also, if you think about it, if 1 guy is out of his car & the other one is still moving, who is more likely to be PO'd? I'd say the one standing on the track!

Maybe I've just not been observant, but part of me thinks this is not all that common of a thing. Any thoughts?

8/15/14, 1:18 AM   #2
Re: "Roosting" another driver?
Flatrightrear

I've seen drivers cruise by closer than normal or needed to a parked car/driver on more than one occasion. Certainly not unheard of. Interesting read on the Stewart/Ward incident in the USA Today Thursday.

8/15/14, 8:13 AM   #3
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I've never seen a driver roost another. Scene lots of fights and other antics but never that.

8/15/14, 8:25 AM   #4
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

2 -3 steps to the Jacksonville flag stand ? Not necessarily a climb . It'd b like climbing flag stand at Macon .
Sorry for splitting hairs .... Carry on , as u were

8/15/14, 8:39 AM   #5
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Think I've seen it once or twice. Usually the 3 throttle blasts r the international sign for " hey u pissed me off"

8/15/14, 10:11 AM   #6
chathamracefan

Dirt in ur beer... Clayton literally got up in the flag stand (not a tall climb I realize). It was at a big $ non wing race Jville had probably 6 years ago or so. It was hysterical. He got a loud ovation!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/15/14, 10:24 AM   #7
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Wanted to make sure he got his point huh ?

8/15/14, 10:27 AM   #8
Nate

I remember seeing Casey Shuman climb halfway up the flag stand at Kokomo some years back after he was black flagged for repeatedly "jumping the start"...he had a reason to be pissed though. Crowd gave him a round of applause after that one too.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/15/14, 10:38 AM   #9
flagboy55

Roosting is not uncommon. Sometimes done for a laugh, sometimes out of anger. I've seen both track officials and drivers get it. Doesn't happen everyday, but it happens

8/15/14, 7:25 PM   #10
turn4rob

Rip Williams got me once while standing outside turn 4 at Perris during wheel packing

ROB

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Roosting" another driver?